Is there an easy way to know if a Bug is in your area?

Guest bhobbs

Just curious, but is there an easy way to monitor when travel bugs enter your area? I just sent my first on its way ("The Millenium Falcon") and would like to help others with their's.

Guest Markwell

Unfortunately, not yet. It appears that Jeremy toyed with the idea for a while. I don't know the status of this project.

From this forum...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy 22 October 2001 08:08 AM

Because of the odd nature of Travel Bugs (in-transit, compared to caches), I was thinking of an autonotify feature for them. So when they're dropped off in a cache, only, an email will be sent off to anyone within a 150 mile range that the travel bug is there. Folks will have the option to turn this feature on or off. Default will be off.

Sounds good?

Jeremy

After much discussion about the radius of 150 miles...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy 02 November 2001 08:13 AM

Yeah. I decided it would be best to allow notifications and let the person decide the radius instead. There will be a max people can go (300 miles). You can see an example on the seek page where you can now choose the radius for your results via zipcode search.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek

Jeremy

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 30 January 2002).]

bhobbs,

Not a search engine or anything but when you do a seek by your zipcode or coordinates you should see the little bug icon pop up next to any caches within your vacinity that contain bugs. You then have to go to the cache page then to the bug page to see what bug it is and to make sure that it is actually still there and not MIA or not logged yet.... till something better is in place it at least gives you an idea.