Beginner getting into geocoins

tonystark

welcome, this is a great place to start. this community knows tons about coins and you can learn just about anything you need to know about any coin just by asking. as far as advice goes... ..ummm......have fun! pick a theme or how you want to collect, buy coins and collect the ones you want to keep, send out a few to watch travel and join missions and cointests for extra added fun!

This is a very expensive addiction!

Indeed. After shipping is factored in, each coin costs between $10-$15. If you are going with eBay, a coin may approach $20 or even more. Some people have hundreds of coins and at least one who posts to this forum has 1,500. The math will shock you. I am normally very frugal, but this is my one area of insanity. I do it for the sheer pleasure of holding a coin in my hand.

Hi,

I started searching around and am new to geocoins and looking for a way to read about geocoins and start a collection.

Just wanted to say hello to this forum and I would welcome any advice on starting a collection.

:huh:

Start slow and focus on which coins appeal most to you. With so many to choose from it's easy to go wild grabbing at them all :D Also, before buying from places like ebay, look at some of the stores that have some of their coins on sale. Before doing either of those things though, watch here as individuals sell their coins at sometimes amazingly low prices. If you really, really, REALLY must have a design you've fallen in love with, try first to trade for it. You'd be surprised how often the person who developed the coin still has some for trade even while the same coin is selling for crazy high prices elsewhere. :laughing:

Be patient. New issues come up and some sell out very fast with only an occasional mention here on the forums and once they're gone they're gone (to resurface on the secondary market). Vendours tend to order larger quantities but even they sell out and often won't remint so sign up for the various newsletters so you can have you hand on the pulse of what's coming out soon. Also the geocoin clubs offer a way to have a new issue sent every month. See? It all adds up pretty quick but by far the best advice was given by F&H regarding the sale of collections and/or extras here on the forums.

Welcome to the forums.

Hi,

I started searching around and am new to geocoins and looking for a way to read about geocoins and start a collection.

Just wanted to say hello to this forum and I would welcome any advice on starting a collection.

:rolleyes:

Start slow and focus on which coins appeal most to you. With so many to choose from it's easy to go wild grabbing at them all ;) Also, before buying from places like ebay, look at some of the stores that have some of their coins on sale. Before doing either of those things though, watch here as individuals sell their coins at sometimes amazingly low prices. If you really, really, REALLY must have a design you've fallen in love with, try first to trade for it. You'd be surprised how often the person who developed the coin still has some for trade even while the same coin is selling for crazy high prices elsewhere. :)

Well said, Chris!

~J