Android v1.1 Release Notes

Hello everyone! This is a list of changes and bug fixes in the latest version of the Android app (version 1.1). Please let us know if you encounter any issues with any of these changes. All unrelated issues should be reported on our feedback site located at: http://feedback.geocaching.com. Thanks!

New Features:

* Support for opening the app via coord.info links.

* Support for Google Navigation.

* Support for navigation using external radar apps.

* Distances are now displayed to hundredths of a unit for miles and kilometers.

* Improved compass accuracy.

* Virtual keyboard no longer appears automatically on Settings page.

* Improved app stability.

* Improved app performance.

* Reduced size of app.

Bug Fixes:

22571: Fixed issue where constantly rotating the app on the compass screen could cause app to become unresponsive.

22657: Logs are now displayed in a consistent order.

22595: Fixed an issue that was causing some photos to fail to download or be displayed.

23261: Fixed bug that was forcing users to log out and then back into the app to update their souvenirs list.

Hi,

Glad to finally have a release notes page.

I just wanted to report a couple of errors I came across in 1.1.

1. Once a pocket query has been downloaded, if the same pocket query already exists, it doesn't replace the old one.

2. when choosing the "view on Map" option when in a pocket query list it does nothing.

3. The app seems to not be calculating the correct global position of the phone. It seems to be stuck in seattle therefore only giving caches "close" to someone in seattle.

if I come across more I will let you know :huh:

Version 1.1.1 has been released in order to address some issues that were discovered in the previous version.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed an issue that was preventing users from finding nearby caches if they were using certain languag

* Correct symbol is used for degrees in cache coordinates.

So, for what this is worth.. the new update is great so far and things just seem to be loading now.. I had previous issues where I had to restart the app just to get the maps to load properly. However there are two things that were taken out that almost negate all the good the update did.

1) Exit button?

2) Ability to download more logs. That was a great tool to have, why take it out? :D

Yesterday I opened the app while out caching (in New York). Apparently I did not have the GPS function of the phone turned on and the app must have defaulted to Groundspeak HQ for the location, since it "awarded" me the "Groundspeak Headquarters" souvenir.

1) How do I remove that souvenir?

2) Maybe souvenirs should not be "awarded" until a "good" satellite fix is achieved?

Thanks,

Bill

Yesterday I opened the app while out caching (in New York). Apparently I did not have the GPS function of the phone turned on and the app must have defaulted to Groundspeak HQ for the location, since it "awarded" me the "Groundspeak Headquarters" souvenir.

2) Maybe souvenirs should not be "awarded" until a "good" satellite fix is achieved?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We are working to correct it.

Wrong symbol is used for degrees in cache coordinates when i use "wiew on external map".

What version of the app are you using?

I would really like it if we could plug in additional coordinates for multi-caches. I was using a Garmin for the car before and then got the app for my Droid. I love the app! It is so much more accurate than my car gps! But I have gotten spoiled and don't like having to go back to it when doing the multi's. Please find a way to do this! Thanks.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We are working to correct it.

Wrong symbol is used for degrees in cache coordinates when i use "wiew on external map".

What version of the app are you using?

I use version 1.1.2

Do you prefer that we post bug reports here or to the feedback forums?

I posted the souvenir bug to the feedback forum days ago, but it has still not been acknowledged. Similar posts here are addressed much more rapidly.

Just so that we can help you sort out bugs as efficiently as possible.

I use version 1.1.2

The devs have been informed of this. Thanks for the report!

v1.1.2 bug that i have encountered

"find nearby caches" on finally those caches in seattle again. Coordinates stuck on seattle coords

Are you allowing the phone and the app to access location data?

After buying the Android app yesterday, I did a search with all location sources disabled (I just wanted to check out the interface). This gave me three souvenirs: Groundspeak HQ, a German one, and a third one I don't recall. The HQ souvenir remains, while the other two were removed.

It doesn't bother me, but I know some people are extremely sensitive about the souvenirs. I'm just pointing it out because it may indicate a lingering bug.

v1.1.2 bug that i have encountered

"find nearby caches" on finally those caches in seattle again. Coordinates stuck on seattle coords

Are you allowing the phone and the app to access location data?

I have recently received a new android device and I did not have the gps location on, however, didn't the previous version used your rough location using cell tower triangulation. If so then the app is not doing this.

Hi,

I own an Android (Garmin Ausus A10).

I bought the geocaching app from Geocaching.com. The version is showing as v1.0.3. All the posts now seem to be about v1.1. How do I upgrade to the latest version, presuming I want to given some of the problems that seem to have occured?

Thanks,

Jim B)

Just type in a search in the android market for geocaching. it should tell you that you have an update available. Click the app then click update. Alternately when you open up the market app you can open up "downloads" from the pressing menu from within the app. This should bring up a list of installed apps with geocaching being one of them. Just update using the above procedure.

Edited by thecodeman

Found a bug related to adding waypoints, that does not appear to be reported:

1. What happened:

Waypoint was added at incorrect coordinates

2. What you expected to happen

Waypoint to be added at the coordinates that I entered

3. What actually happened

Went into map mode

Clicked "add waypoint"

Clicked "use my current location" to use as basis

App filled in N 59 12,345 E 10 12,345

Replaced the last couple of digits, to read 12,678

Clicked add waypoint

Waypoint did not appear (in reality it appeared, but I could not see it, because it appeared many, many miles away, while the map maintained its zoom on the cache location)

Solution: The app inserts waypoints with a comma. Many countries swap comma and dot (relative to USA). Phone settings also adopt this. My phone does not understand waypoints with comma: E 10 12,345 is interpreted as E 10 00.000. Adding waypoints works fine if I replace the comma with a dot. Which is not very intuitive, as the app suggests using comma...

Solving this was very hard, since waypoint functionality is poor. It would be very helpful if added waypoints could be edited - listed - zoomed to on map - chosen from compass.

Am using Samsung SCH-i500 running Android 2.1-update 1

Recently purchased Geocache v1.1.2

Running unit with GPS on

Can load a GPX file which brings up information as it should; however, when trying to LOOK at the information, it brings up the following information when trying to look at:

1. Description

2. Recent Logs

3. Hint

"Sorry!

The application Geocaching (process com.Groundspeak.geocaching) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." It shows a button "Force Close"

This brings the screen back to the original "cache" screen.

I would like to add that I can use this pgm to also load up nearby caches direct from Geocaching.com and the same things happen.

At one point, this worked for me, showing hints, descriptions, recent logs, etc.. Haven't a clue what's wrong.

T.I.A. for any help with this problem.

Bill

"Sorry!

The application Geocaching (process com.Groundspeak.geocaching) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." It shows a button "Force Close"

v1.1.2 on Droid Eris 2.1 firmware, Force closes on anything after the main screen.

Same issue with me. App is unusable at this time. Tried helping a friend find a cache the other day. Had to resort to downloading some other app to get the coordinates for the one cache. Frustrated. I want my legit app back.

"Sorry!

v1.1.2 on Droid Eris 2.1 firmware, Force closes on anything after the main screen.

Same issue with me. App is unusable at this time. Tried helping a friend find a cache the other day. Had to resort to downloading some other app to get the coordinates for the one cache. Frustrated. I want my legit app back.

Actually, I just a few hours ago found out what to do. I UNINSTALLED the app, reinstalled it and it went back to working correctly. I also found out that another app called Geobeagle WORKS as well with geocaching.com

Good luck with the uninstall/RE-install

Bill

"Sorry!

Actually, I just a few hours ago found out what to do. I UNINSTALLED the app, reinstalled it and it went back to working correctly. I also found out that another app called Geobeagle WORKS as well with geocaching.com

Bill

First off a thanks as I was excited when upgrading to android from WM that there was an official app(even if this one isn't free for premium members like the WM version :rolleyes: )

Understand completely that this is much newer and not expecting to have everything the way I want but theres only one thing I REALLY miss... the ability to use different mapservers, namely openstreetmap which shows many trails not shown by google

"Sorry!

Bill

[/quote

we had the same problem yesterday while out caching. Did you have to repay for the app?

TeamCorley

Minor bug report: PQ names don't update in the app

* I have generated a PQ called "X".

* I have downloaded PQ X to the phone.

* Using the website, I have changed the PQ name from X to Y.

* Using geocaching app, I choose "download PQ" and download the PQ called Y.

* Downloading finishes without problems.

* I open the list of PQs in the app.

* I still find a PQ named X, and no PQ named Y.

No, once purchased, market knows it and you just download it again. After that, it worked perfectly. Apps for the iPhone are that way as well. So, those using the geocaching pgm on their iPhone can just download the app again for free.

Bill

Bill

[/quote

we had the same problem yesterday while out caching. Did you have to repay for the app?

TeamCorley

The app seems to have problems importing GPX files that contain waypoints:

I used GSAK to make a GPX file of the 9 caches I plan to visit on my next trip.

The GPX file imports without problems in GSAK and GeoHunter.

In the official app:

* 6 caches that have no waypoints import without problems

* 2 caches that have waypoints are represented by one of the waypoints, NOT by the cache itself.

* 1 cache that has waypoints is represented by one of the waypoints AND the cache location itself.

The waypoints/bogus caches appear as mystery caches with difficulty 0/0. Their location that is displayed as a mystery cache is that of the waypoint, not of the original cache.

Please let me know if there's anything I can test to solve this.

NOT really a BUG; but, possibly something missing from the app. There doesn't seem to be any way to change a "found" cache, inside an imported GPX file, so it doesn't show on the "search for" screen. On my Garmin, I have to go back to the cache and change its symbol to an open box which automatically moves it from "find" to "FOUND".

It would seem to me that once you log on to geocaching.com from within the app, and post a log (found it or otherwise), that it would automatically make the cache as found. Am I missing something here?

T.I.A. for any answers to this problem (well in my mind it is. LOL)

Hello everyone!

I have the problems with google maps navigation.

When I take a cachelisting. There is the menu with "Navigate to Geocache". Then I take "Directions", so Google Maps Navigation starts.

But now it wont work. No Route found, the target cannot found.

I am not able to use Google Maps Navigation to get to the cache.

Maybe it needs a fix, cause I am using the newest version of Google Maps on my Defy.

You write that the app will work with Google Navig., but here it wont. Or maybe I do something wrong.

And another bug maybe, that I cannot see waypoints at multicaches. Wanna make paperless caching, but it seems, that it wont work.

Greetings!

Edited by Lemmi1de

Android v1.1.3 has been released!

New Features:

* Upload photos with logs.

* Log manager to edit pending logs and view sent logs.

* Motion based compass is now an available option.

* Create, edit, delete, and select waypoints from the compass.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed an issue that was causing erratic compass behavior.

* Behind the scenes improvements.

Edited by JYoungman

Thanks for the excellent upgrade of waypoint management!

I'm glad that displaying PQs on the map is being worked on. There are still some challenges, though:

Limit of 100 caches at a time is OK (though free apps have no problems visualising all). I expected to be able to modify WHICH 100 it shows. When I zoom in on an area, the selection does not change to caches in that area.

On the menu I found two potential buttons:

* "Search here", which goes online to find caches in the zoomed area, leaving the PQ

* "More results", which seems to do nothing!

As one who caches by PQs and not by data traffic, I don't understand why PQs can't be accessed from the main page. When out in the woods, there are four ways of finding cache info: The three first items on the main page, and opening a PQ.

I hope that the map interaction will be improved, and that the functions of various buttons will be made clear.

Not able to log in to site on my Droid. Have not used the app for a month or so, but was able to log in before the last update. I do have a space in my username and I saw a problem with that was apparently fixed, but it tells me there is an error with my username/password. I am able to log in with no problems on the computer. Any suggestions?

Since the last update I am unable to use the menu button. If I try, it force closes the app. The only things I can do are those things on the main menu. So I can't access PQs that I downloaded, souvenirs, etc.

After uninstalling it and re-installing it twice, this is finally corrected. However, I still get Force Closes, it is very slow, and yesterday, my PQ disappeared while I was reviewing caches in it and I had to re-download it. Later in the day, I got "searching" on the screen and it would not go away. I waited for quite a while and finally had to turn off the phone to get rid of it.

Since the last update I am unable to use the menu button. If I try, it force closes the app. The only things I can do are those things on the main menu. So I can't access PQs that I downloaded, souvenirs, etc.

My experience has been that force closes were symptomatic of a bad upgrade. You might try deleting the app, then reinstalling clean. Worked for me a few updates ago.

Please Groundspeak, isn't it time to update the android app?

The problem with attributes not displaying in offline mode is a big flaw of this app. But when it starts working as is obviously intended, it will be a good reason to swap from free apps that do not display attributes.

v 1.1.3

When posting a log, the keyboard behaves very strange (Motorola Milestone with real keyboard)

Normally, I can press shift first and then a letter to post an uppercase letter. In the GC app, I have to press shift and the key at the same time.

Why don't you just integrate the default text box?

When the log is posted and viewed on the website, all newlines are gone.

Edited by georgm

I have never paid over $3.00 for an app before... $9.99?? Really??? I have been a supporter of Geocaching for almost 10 years now, and you want me to pay again? With a 15 min test period and mixed reviews I have to be honest - asking your existing customers to pay to test your product is nuts.

Honestly thinking of canceling my subscription...

SteveL

v 1.1.3

When posting a log, the keyboard behaves very strange (Motorola Milestone with real keyboard)

Normally, I can press shift first and then a letter to post an uppercase letter. In the GC app, I have to press shift and the key at the same time.

Why don't you just integrate the default text box?

When the log is posted and viewed on the website, all newlines are gone.

Along the same lines as this, where is auto correct for the text box?