2010 Christmas Geocoin

XmasC2010gd.jpg

Coin stats:

Size: 1.75"

Plating: Two-toned Black Nickel + Polished Gold

Fill: Imitation Hard Enamel + Glitters

Trackable on GC.com: Yes

Unique Icon: Yes

(No, that's not pink... it's Rainbow Glitter. We had to differentiate the Glitter from the White) :santa:

Hope Jim won't mind I let you know what's happening with this coin since I contacted him just yesterday and he told me that there has been a glitter problem with the black nickel plating. He thinks that they won't reach him in time for Xmas.. but he hopes to have them in hand on Monday so he could get them out. The mint has had this order since Nov 8th and he is very upset it has taken this long.

Those coins are so cute, they are worth waiting for :)

HO HO HO B)

This was the reason I was making such a big deal about reservation -vs- pre-sales. Reservations people would just be wondering what is going on. Pre-Sales, now people are out money with no coins and it sounds like it will be another 2 weeks. Total of at least 2 months, be warned that Paypal claims should be made in 45 days and not 60.

Makes me think of the old Chinese Proverb: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. And we get to hear this second hand, not very good customer service either.

This is why I don't buy from pre-sale vendors. Glad I asked the question about pre-sales and was able to make a sensible decision not to buy.

Edited by Atwell Family

Hope Jim won't mind I let you know what's happening with this coin since I contacted him just yesterday and he told me that there has been a glitter problem with the black nickel plating. He thinks that they won't reach him in time for Xmas.. but he hopes to have them in hand on Monday so he could get them out. The mint has had this order since Nov 8th and he is very upset it has taken this long.

HO HO HO B)

I guess I've got no input on this particular case, but it has always seemed to me that seasonal coin designers really cut things close to the wire. A christmas coin should have gone to mint in September.

Okay... first of all, let me say this: The mint has had the artwork for this coin finished since late October, which is more than long enough for a timely production. The fact that they accepted the order from me leads me to believe that they would produce the coins to my specifications as well.

I am not in the habit of accepting nor delivering coins to my customers that I myself wouldn't be happy with. Yes, it's been a long time - The final art was approved on Nov 1st to begin production. On Nov 23rd, I received an email from the mint telling me that the plating was not adhering to the metal. Now, for those of you who know me, you know I had a problem with that on the OCB coins... and I was not, under any circumstances going to allow the mint to send me coins where the plating is going to come off. The next day I asked for a photo and this is what they sent me:

Flaking1.jpg

Not only was this not acceptable, time was running short on my delivery deadline of Dec 6th.

I explained to them that if they could not produce a Two-Toned coin the way I wanted it, and how it was explained in detail, then they shouldn't have accepted the order in the first place.

So... a few days pass and I hear nothing so I inquire about the status... I get a photo response:

XmasFlaked.jpg

XmasFlakedBack.jpg

Not only is the enamel not adhering to the edge of the coin....the PLATING is still flaking on the edges and the FLIPPIN' GLITTER is the WRONG COLOR!

(Look at bluebrint in post #1 - They made the glitter PINK like the blueprint instead of utilizing the pink to designate RAINBOW glitter).

I immediately send the pics to Kyndrid - and I got a mouthful there.. LOL and out to the mint when the following email:

The Igloo and the Penguin are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE PINK - The production department is using GLITTER IS5 - and that is NOT CORRECT. Look at the color on the glitter chart and look at the coin -

Is what is circled on the color chart, on the coin?

My artist said "NO NO NO" Are you serious?....

This is not a good sign of attention to detail. So sorry, but I am SOooo detail oriented ... FIX THE COIN.

Here we go, waiting again... Dec 8th. I get an email back saying they will fix the glitter.

I hear nothing for a week... finally get a response to my email requesting a status (Dec 14):

----------------

Dear Jim

I'm sorry for bothering you but you have to make a decision

Since the 2010 christmas coin you asked for black nickel/gold two tone plating, the back ground of the coin is black nickel, so whatever method we try, we'll see the black background under the glitter. I know you'll talk with me about the (coin name removed) one, that one is gold plating, so it doesn't have the problem

I'd like to say that we've really tried times but failed. So in view of the coming holidays and you need them before the holidays, we have 2 options here:

One is that we can make the same effect as the previous samples, as attached

The other one is the glitter above the black nickel, ugly look one

Please kindly confirm urgently which one you prefer, so we can go ahead continue production, thanks

I understand you must be angry, however sometimes it's really difficult on production manufacturing, I'd appreciate your understanding, thanks.

----------------

So - Yes.. those of you who have inquired about these coins to my email had been responded to, but not to the extent here. Unfortunately, when something I can't control takes place, it has to be responded to by email and a response always seems like forever when you are waiting on something positive to happen. Ya know.. like when time stands still :)

I can't help it.. I'm a complainer.. I like perfection .. but I believe that sending out 'sub-par' coins is wrong.

So I send back an email stating ABSOLUTELY NO PINK now that they have the plating figured out - I told them that if they had to go heavy on the RAINBOW glitter ... go ahead and do that..

Here are the photos of the die plates - with the glitter on them as they will look... but....

FrontXmas.jpg

BackXmas.jpg

... the photos really don't do the coin justice without the other colors filled in...

... the coins will actually look like this:

XmasFinal.jpg

I surely hope I have explained this well.. it's a scrambled mess inside my head. Just another reason that minting coins with all the heartache and frustration that is entailed in it... its just not for everybody.

I will have these out the same day they arrive to me. B)

We may not receive the coin by Christmas but it will still be the Holiday Season. We're so busy right now with all the festivities coming soon that we will have more time enjoying it afterwards when we will be relaxing by the fireplace B)

The final result is great. Too bad you had so much problem with the minting :)

So this mint applies the plating before the enamel? It was my understanding that imitation hard enamel is applied to the base metal (either zinc or bronze), stoned to make it flat, & then the plating is applied. I guess the various mints do things differently.

Several ultimately outstanding coins have experienced mint setbacks; their stories are told throughout this forum. I'm looking forward to my glittery winter coins, & appreciate that they were delayed for a good reason.

HO HO HO B)

So they will be here for Christmas or not? It seems kind of silly to have a Christmas coin after the fact.

@ Laval: Thank you. Yeah, sometimes its a pain.. sometimes things just happen... but its beyond my control after the final art is submitted. We are at the mercy of the mint to meet the timeline. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.

@GBG: EVERY mint plates the coins FIRST. I read that same thread, but the info provided that stated that procedure was NOT correct. Platings are done first. It depends on the alloy composition percentages (whether it be brass or zinc alloy) as to whether or not the plating will properly 'stick'. If the mint blends the raw materials inconsistently at the molten stage (to produce the planchettes), this anomaly occurs. Once IHE sets, the coins are ground down and buffed out level.

@LB: Well, I have my fingers crossed. I can't give a firm date as to when they will be in my hand if I don't receive shipping info from the mint. What I can say is that they are 2 weeks late... and I'm hoping I'll have them NLT Tuesday.

We'll be watching our mailman for those cute little ones :grin: I ordered two of them and the second one is already reserved for a trade :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas :santa:

I really love these geocoins they are so cute, I even love the errors. I cannot remember if I ordered any, but hopes my husband did for me for Christmas. Guess I will have to watch my mailbox.