What do you do with people who steal our bugs!

Avenger's Realm

I have two travel bugs that were doing quite well in traveling the countryside until they fell into the hands of people who won't allow them to continue their journey! The Travel Bugs are: TB6A4E and TB6913

Any assistance here would be welcomed. I have emailed the people who have them, but never hear back from them.

Edit to remove TB tag numbers to avoid the TB from being abused by others. ~ Heidi

[This message was edited by hydee on November 05, 2003 at 11:21 PM.]

OK, here's the plan -- you put out a new cache called "lots of travel bugs" near where the bandit lives. You dig a deep pit and put a thin layer of branches and leaves over it (don't forget the pointed sticks). Then....well you can figure out the rest.

But seriously -- try copying another email message to the local approver at gc.com, and see if they can the follow up to get some results. That might help.

We can take travel bug # TB6913 off the list as it has now turned up finally. Although it has<BR>left the country and is now in Africa, I do thank the person that finally got it back on its journey!

Please do not post TB serial numbers in posts it opens the TB up for abuse. Each bug is given a TB ID assigned at the top of the page, please use the TB ID. ~hydee

Edited by hydee

Maybe geocaching.com ought to implement those annoying pop-up reminder windows for anyone that logs on that has had someone else's travel bug in their inventory for more than 30 days?

I would also be agreeable to limiting a user's access to the full features of the geocaching.com website if they have retained a travel bug for more than 30 days without the travel bug owner's consent. It's truly disheartening to see how many travel bugs occupy the various travel bug graveyards because someone grabbed a bug and kept right on caching with the absconded travel bug languishing in the garage.

Unless geocaching.com institutes some type of corrective action to reduce this threat, you really have to wonder if the financial and emotional investment in travel bugs is a worthwhile venture.

quote:
Originally posted by Wreck Diver:

Maybe geocaching.com ought to implement those annoying pop-up reminder windows for anyone that logs on that has had someone else's travel bug in their inventory for more than 30 days?

I would also be agreeable to limiting a user's access to the full features of the geocaching.com website if they have retained a travel bug for more than 30 days without the travel bug owner's consent. It's truly disheartening to see how many travel bugs occupy the various travel bug graveyards because someone grabbed a bug and kept right on caching with the absconded travel bug languishing in the garage.

Unless geocaching.com institutes some type of corrective action to reduce this threat, you really have to wonder if the financial and emotional investment in travel bugs is a worthwhile venture.

I like the Idea of a time limit, but where you're from that can be a problem of 'white' proportion. Seems you get more snow in your area of the country than we do here in sunny Az. icon_smile.gif

Do you folks still cache when everything is buried in white?

John

It's hard to remember that your primary objective is to drain the swamp, when you're up to your a$$ in alligators.

I'd say, it would need careful programming, but a limit would be a good idea. If you own a bug, you would need to be able to keep it yourself for as long as you want.

Perhaps the limit could be set by the number of Regular caches visited and time since grabbing the bug, enough to allow for not finding a suitable cache.

OK, so I know you could get around that by "virtual" logging of the bug, but at least you would know someone still has it and they're active cachers.

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

I like the Idea of a time limit, but where you're from that can be a problem of 'white' proportion. Seems you get more snow in your area of the country than we do here in sunny Az. icon_smile.gif

Do you folks still cache when everything is buried in white?

John

I have been starting to wonder the same thing, John. This will be my first winter geocaching, so I'm not sure what the local trends are. I know that yesterday's temps ranged from a low of 26 F to a high of 43 F, yet there were still quite a few finds listed in the first ten pages of caches around my home lat/long.

Where I am in public safety and tend to be all weather, I expect to cache all winter. Like diving under ice, caching in snow would seem to present its own challenges and precautions.

One of those precautions will undoubtedly be in choosing a cache to drop a travel bug in. It would have to be easily accessable and common sense would be a factor. Leaving footprints in fresh snow to a cache at a playground or trying to wade to a cache like Hunter's "Swamp Monster" might prove to be risky for the cacher, or more importantly, for the travel bug. icon_wink.gif

For there, but the grace of God, go I."

I'm a bit late to this thread, but my $0.02 is that Wreck Diver has a great idea about implementing a notification that a bug is outstanding. The TB owner should have the ability to deactivate the notification in cases where the delay is legitimate.

I placed my first bug in August (TBF6A) and it was picked up the same day. Hasn't gone anywhere yet. ;) And of the four bugs I've found and moved on 3 have gone missing. Terribly frustrating.

Maybe geocaching.com ought to implement those annoying pop-up reminder windows for anyone that logs on that has had someone else's travel bug in their inventory for more than 30 days?<BR>  <BR>I would also be agreeable to limiting a user's access to the full features of the geocaching.com website if they have retained a travel bug for more than 30 days without the travel bug owner's consent. 

:P

I really really like these ideas.

instead of a 30 day automatic access denial, I would let the TB owner

have a checkbox on the Travel Bug Owners page

that will empliment the following actions.

A) The TB thief would have the pop ups reminding them to move the bug along.

B ) the TB thief would not be able to post on the fourms

or better B1 (the scarlet letter claus)- all logs on the fourm and all cache finds are

appended with the words" this cacher doesnt move bugs along"

C) the TB thief would not be able to log finds or notes untill the bug has been moved on.

D) The TB thief is not allowed to hide caches of thier own.

E) the TB thief is not allowed to activate their own TB's

F) the TB thief's own TB become inactive / archived with directions to have the

next finder contact the owner of the stolen TB for a possible hostage exchange.

In the event the TB thief would pick any cache and just

say that he moved the TB into it in order to thort the sanctions then the TB owner

could appeal to GC.com to have the thief's account frozen

I only have 1 TB, (CHEERS -TB54DC ) I have had it for almost a year, it has been in the hands of a certain cacher since June. Mr (name withheld but you can go check it out for yourself by looking at the TB page) had it for 2 months before he logged it, I have contacted Mr (TB54DC) no less than 3 times and each time he says he will move it on soon. Yet Mr jcook continues to log caches, and other Tb's.