Pet Peave!

Rant On: One of the things that irritates me is someone finding a FTF and then waiting several days to post their find. :santa:

On more than one occasion I have been second to find and can understand the logs not being updated for an hour or so, but for the find not to posted as found in a timely manner even days later and in one case over 2 weeks before the finder posted his FTF log is inconsiderate of other cachers.

Ok Rant OFF.

When I was FTF freak I made a habit not to long my finds for a untill I saw one or two other finds. Besides when new caches pop around here there may be five people on the hunt for the FTF at the same time, I recall several time in which FTF's were made while several cachers were at the cache location at the same time try ing to beat each other to the FTF :santa: :santa: But some of my FTF's were on the way to work and at my work place I did not have web access so there was no way to log them anyway. :santa:

What about people that log before the FTF? Shouldn't people wait for the FTF to log before they log it even if they get to the computer first?

Why? There is nothing sacrosanct about the log order on a cache. The FTF is something that exists in peoples minds only, not in electronic logs. I have yet to have someone dispute the few FTF's I have simple because I was the third or fourth to log online.

** begin moderator note **

My pet peeve is bad spelling.

Anyone else?

come on, what did this add to the conversation?

Don't be a jerk. If you don't have anything legitimate to add then don't add anything at all.

While calling them a jerk isn't right either, I tend to agree. All sorts of people use the internet, and there is no check box when entering this forum that says you have to post perfectly every time or accept that you will be berated and/or ridiculed. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Read the content and comment on it. Things like this are what drives community members away.

I am glad there is a spell checker in Firefox. I am not the best speller out there myself.

** end moderator note, carry on **

I've never tried this but I think it might work....

If you have a device that can record field notes, generate a field note at GZ at the actual time you make the find.

Then when you get home, instead of logging the find on the cache page, upload your field note. Then submit the field note to link it to a log.

The field note contains a time stamp (which can be edited in the fieldnotes.txt file if you want, so if you forget to do it at GZ you could generate the field note at home then edit the time on it to match the actual time you found the cache)

I think the website will order logs on the cache page by not only date but also the time stamp.

When you log straight on the website you don't have an opportunity to set the time, only the date, so I assume the time is set by the website based on the actual time you make your online log.

So my theory is this: if you get to your computer to log a FTF and someone has logged a cache already, by using the fieldnote generated at GZ, your log should be entered onto the cache page ahead of the person that logged before you. Because their log will be timed later than yours as they can't be logging their find at a time earlier than you actually found the cache.

As I say just a theory, and I know it's not important to have all the logs in order on the cache page.

But if you want your FTF log to be first on the cache page it might be worth a try.

I've never done it, but I might try it on our next one, just to see if my theory works or not.

What about people that log before the FTF? Shouldn't people wait for the FTF to log before they log it even if they get to the computer first?

I have to agree with everyone else. I have gone out for an FTF and some one else beat me to it. So when I got home to log my finds they had not logged their FTF. But that doesn't mean Im gonna wait around for them to post it. It could be days before they log it as long as you are not claiming FTF for yourself when you know your not, then I don't see the problem with logging it before they do.

It kinda all goes with the other post about NOT logging FTF finds. Unfortunately I have had the happen to me. I completely understand that you may not get to a computer right away, or your still out finding more caches, but the caches that I thought I was FTF for, the true FTF group found the cache literally 16 hrs before me and had not logged it on the site yet :huh: And by the time I got home they still hadnt logged it so I wasnt waiting for them so I logged my find but noted that I was NOT the FTF So yes I was a little upset because what I thought was an FTF was not, but on the other hand some ppl thrive on getting FTF, so when you see a new cache pop up, dont waste no time to gear up and head on out!

** begin moderator note **

Anyone else?

Don't be a jerk. If you don't have anything legitimate to add then don't add anything at all.

While calling them a jerk isn't right either, I tend to agree. All sorts of people use the internet, and there is no check box when entering this forum that says you have to post perfectly every time or accept that you will be berated and/or ridiculed. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Read the content and comment on it. Things like this are what drives community members away.

I am glad there is a spell checker in Firefox. I am not the best speller out there myself.

** end moderator note, carry on **

The GeoWife is dyslexic (insert dog joke) so she makes every effort to double check what she types...she still misses a word here or there.

I've had the STF post first a couple of times. While it is nice to see a clean page, it truly doesn't matter. I say log when you normally log.

even though i hate using the phone for logging purposes, occasionally i do log FTFs from the field simply out of courtesy for the other FTF hounds in the area, especially if the FTF was early in the day and we won't be back home until the evening or so.

however, i don't expect anyone else to do the same. i do expect everyone else not to get pissy if i don't do it though. if you can't take being beaten to FTF, then don't hunt for them.

I like to log as soon as possible, but I know that not everyone has the ability to. Not all of us have smartphones that we can log in the field with. I also know that work takes priority over caching, and if I get an email in my inbox that says I have to do something for a client, I get to that first, and log my caches when I'm finished.

There are just too many reasons as to why someone can't or won't log right away that it doesn't seem worth it to get upset about it.

Anyone else?

I can understand the OP's frustration but I am pretty sure that the online log does not matter, its only the physical log that matters.

So, apparently, the thread is about timely logging in an FTF context.

I thought it was about pet peeves in a Geocaching context.

My bad.

I have both played and been stung by the delayed FTF log game. No big deal, I got the same smiley I would have got any other way. It was a race for the FTF and I didn't win...I got over it.

I have also logged STF behind cachers who NEVER log their finds online. BFD.

Rant On: One of the things that irritates me is someone finding a FTF and then waiting several days to post their find. :huh:

On more than one occasion I have been second to find and can understand the logs not being updated for an hour or so, but for the find not to posted as found in a timely manner even days later and in one case over 2 weeks before the finder posted his FTF log is inconsiderate of other cachers.

Ok Rant OFF.

Maybe if it bothers you that much you should steer clear of FTFs JAS

Scubasonic

Anyone else?

I can understand the OP's frustration but I am pretty sure that the online log does not matter, its only the physical log that matters.

My bad.

I have both played and been stung by the delayed FTF log game. No big deal, I got the same smiley I would have got any other way. It was a race for the FTF and I didn't win...I got over it.

I have also logged STF behind cachers who NEVER log their finds online. BFD.

Sometimes your the Bat, and sometimes your the ball.

Scubasonic

Absolutely not. It's completely unreasonable to expect other geocachers to schedule their logging around somebody else.

Thanks, on my few failed FTF attempts I have waited. I didn't want to make all the local FTF hunters to be upset with me! :huh:

Absolutely not. It's completely unreasonable to expect other geocachers to schedule their logging around somebody else.

Thanks, on my few failed FTF attempts I have waited. I didn't want to make all the local FTF hunters to be upset with me! :huh:

Nah, they'll only get upset if you claim the FTF. :D

Unless they're crazy, which is always a possibility, but I don't believe in humouring crazy people.

Rant On: One of the things that irritates me is someone finding a FTF and then waiting several days to post their find. :huh:

Ok Rant OFF.

FTF is a brutal hard won contest in some areas. Your competition may very well enjoy acing you to the cache and then watching you run out there because they hadn't logged yet only to find your 2nd. They may enjoy thier FTF all the more because of your reaction to it.

Enjoy the challenge.

What I hate is when someone pushes both the up and the down button while waiting for an elevator. It just inconveniences people and it doesn't really make an elevator come faster, sheesh...

Yeah, I especially hate when the one that comes first is the down one and you needed up...

I hate it when people take the elevator to go DOWN one floor.

Ok Rant OFF.

Even if a cache has gone unclaimed for a few days I assume someone is going to find it five minutes before I get there. Five minutes, 2 weeks - the result is the same.

The only complaint I see here is that you had the expectation to be first and you feel you were tricked. Maybe you should rethink your approach so the inevitable angst that goes along with the FTF game doesn't impact your enjoyment. If you are going to get upset over someone's behavior. I'm not sure what you expect the rest of us to do about it.

I say ignore the angst and in the long run you'll have more fun and satisfaction than any FTF could give you.

Ok Rant OFF.

Back when I was chasing FTFs, I found one at around 9PM, and didn't get home until around 11PM. I went right to bed and logged it the next morning. I don't think I intentionally delayed logging, but maybe subconciously I did.

My brother-in-law saw the unfound cache at midnight and, because he had been drinking, took a taxi to the cache site. He was pretty pissed when he saw that I had already been there three hours earlier. He got me back in the exact same manner on another FTF a few days later. After that we never intentionally delayed logging FTFs.

I will also add that, although I'm not too concerned about the order in which people log on-line, I would intentionally wait until the FTF logged on-line when I wasn't FTF. This is importnant to some people , and I did it out of courtesy. However I wouldn't typically wait beyond the end of the day.

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

My bad.

Makes sense, and smacking at the OP didn't make sense since I didn't see anything wrong with their post and it seemed out of character for you. Thanks for the explanation.

And I am slightly dyslexic, and worse it gets when tired am I. (Though I sound like Yoda).

What I hate is when someone pushes both the up and the down button while waiting for an elevator. It just inconveniences people and it doesn't really make an elevator come faster, sheesh...

Yeah, I especially hate when the one that comes first is the down one and you needed up...

I hate it when people take the elevator to go DOWN one floor.

The last place I worked, the stairwells were locked from the outside. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't use the stairs to move between floors.

I will also add that, although I'm not too concerned about the order in which people log on-line, I would intentionally wait until the FTF logged on-line when I wasn't FTF. This is importnant to some people , and I did it out of courtesy. However I wouldn't typically wait beyond the end of the day.

I log all of my finds in the order that I found them. There is no way that I am going to hold off posting a full day of finds because of someone else's sense of entitlement. If it is that important to them, they should have hustled up to a computer and logged it ASAP.

Edited by Don_J

Well, see, not everyone has an I-phone, or can log in the field.

Yes, it's courtesy to log your ftf as soon as possible, or even just regular logs, but that might be a week or more! We did t weeks caching while on vacation this summer with no wi-fi, of internet access. The caches got logged the week after we were home,and if there happened to be a ftf in there, well, too bad.

And I say log whenever you get to the computer, even if the ftfer hasn't logged yet. Ftf doesn't mean first to log!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I thought everyone knew that peeves make bad pets?

I'm not big on the whole ftf thing. I log my caches at my own convenience, mostly, based on when I have time and desire to do the logging. If I happen to get an ftf, it doesn't change anything. I don't play for ftf's and I don't change how I play just because its important to someone else. I'm caching for my own enjoyment, not that of anyone else.

From my point of view, it's all a risk you take if you decide the whole ftf issue is important to you.

This has been discussed a few times in the past and my position has always remained the same. As i see it, logging an ftf as soon as practical is the courteous thing to do for others who might be interested trying for that ftf. Of course, logging in a timely manner is not always possible and is something that sometimes can't be helped. A person who likes the ftf aspect of geocaching should realize this and not get bent out of shape when it happens.

My pet peeve, and i know there are some who say it's also part of the ftf game, is when someone purposely holds off logging their ftf just to see if they can cause others grief... :)

Edited by Mudfrog

Rant On: One of the things that irritates me is someone finding a FTF and then waiting several days to post their find. :rolleyes:

Ok Rant OFF.

If there's a name already on the cache log when you find it that means you're not the FTF, pretty simple. The order it's logged online means nothing.

Edited by DonB

This has happened to me more than once, both as the frustrated second finder and as the late logging first finder.

Most of our FTFs have been in our home area, but we have 7 or so vacation FTFs that took us a few days to log because we weren't traveling with our computer. Probably ruffled a few feathers for some disappointed would-be FTFers.

There are also several times when we've spotted a listing, dashed out, and found the FTF log from hours before. Yeah, a little frustrating that they hadn't gotten around to logging them yet, but them's the breaks. Having been the pot more than once, I can't call the kettle black.

This has been discussed a few times in the past and my position has always remained the same. As i see it, logging an ftf as soon as practical is the courteous thing to do for others who might be interested trying for that ftf.

Yes, this. I'm still amazed that a vocal minority are so opposed to and offended by this simple and courteous idea. :rolleyes:

This has been discussed a few times in the past and my position has always remained the same. As i see it, logging an ftf as soon as practical is the courteous thing to do for others who might be interested trying for that ftf.

Yes, this. I'm still amazed that a vocal minority are so opposed to and offended by this simple and courteous idea. :rolleyes:

Actually, it's pretty discourteous to expect others to facilitate a side game that isn't officially sanctioned by Geocaching.com.

If you choose to make a game out of being FTF on new geocaches, that's fine, but it's completely unreasonable to assume that others are doing so as well.

Actually, it's pretty discourteous to expect others to facilitate a side game that isn't officially sanctioned by Geocaching.com.

If you choose to make a game out of being FTF on new geocaches, that's fine, but it's completely unreasonable to assume that others are doing so as well.

I hate to admit that I absolutely agree with you on this. If you're going to play the FTF game, be prepared for all of us other humans and our habits, for better or for worse.

If you're in my end of town, you'd better be prepared to accept the fact that I log caches when I get home and after I am good and ready. If I've got a FTF, I log it as another cache and too bad for you all who think that is bad behavior. Stop yer whining.