Going caching tommorw.

Delons

Were going for a day of caching tommrow and I was wondering what tools, tips or anything else you have to suggest to me! It will be my first "Big" day of caching! I'm not using a GPS, in my opinion it's more fun, kinda adds to the challenge!

I'm going to be caching around Here.

Thanks!

-Delons

Edited by Delons

Sounds like fun!

We have found several just using the maps and local knowledge but the ones in Mohagen Park and along the river banks may be harder. Print off a satellite map and a street map with the caches numbered. Then you can add some notes on the side for each cache (size, hints etc).

Tools: hiking stick to poke into corners, leather gloves to move leaves etc and to grab rose bushes or pine trees when climbing steep slopes, long tweezers for nanos, first aid kit (just in case), pen and paper to make notes so that you can write a great on-line log later, water, and snacks.

Tricks: - stick with low difficulty and terrain to start,

- look at Groundspeak store for ideas for containers, also the Cool Cache Containers forum discussion,

- keep your eyes open for geotrails, for something that looks different, look from different angles, look up and down,

- respect the enviroment and don't trample the ground around the cache,

- most important - have fun!

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures tomorrow!

First how are you going to do it without gps? As far as things to take I take water,extra pin,little notebook to take notes so I will remember when I get back home. I take extra zipbags and logs so if I find any that need replaced I can. That is all I can think unless you want to take a multi tool like a leatherman.

I bring my cache bag with which has swag to trade, the gps, multi tool, tweezers, extra batteries, camera, note pad, extra pens, phone. That's for an average full day.

Then if I'm out in the woods I have another bag with band aids, other socks, extra shoes usually, sometimes extra pants depending on weather, paper towel, walking stick. And so on.

But really it depends on where I intend to be out caching for what I intend to bring. When I was in a town doing micros I just brought the phone, gps and stuffed a pen down my bra and that worked fine.

Were going for a day of caching tommrow and I was wondering what tools, tips or anything else you have to suggest to me! It will be my first "Big" day of caching! I'm not using a GPS, in my opinion it's more fun, kinda adds to the challenge!

Thanks!

-Delons

I have no suggestions since the first thing I would tell you that is needed is a GPS....but hey that's how I roll.

Scubasonic

Thanks!

-Delons

I have no suggestions since the first thing I would tell you that is needed is a GPS....but hey that's how I roll.

Scubasonic

I just think Google Maps, and instinc is as good as a GPSr

You've never cached in a dense forest then, where the clue is "Under a cut log" :santa:

Or out on a moorland hillside where the clue is "Under a rock", and there is a sea of rocks. :santa:

Even with a reasonable GPS indication these can often take a while to search all the said items within a reasonable radius.

On google satellite view, all those rocks look very much the same.

Good luck and most importantly have fun

You've never cached in a dense forest then, where the clue is "Under a cut log" :santa:

Or out on a moorland hillside where the clue is "Under a rock", and there is a sea of rocks. :santa:

Even with a reasonable GPS indication these can often take a while to search all the said items within a reasonable radius.

On google satellite view, all those rocks look very much the same.

Good luck and most importantly have fun

One bad thing about no GPS, is I'm writing down everything I need, and EXACTLY where I have to go to get it.

One bad thing about no GPS, is I'm writing down everything I need, and EXACTLY where I have to go to get it.

You'll find others :santa:

Like, you will probably have to miss out on most if not all multis, which can be really fun to do.

You know, where you find a location then get coordinates (or clues to coordinates) which lead you from place to place and ultimately to the cache.

I'm not sure how you would do one of those as there would be no way to plot those coordinates onto a hard printed google map.

But like I said, if you are having fun then play the game however you want. Sans GPS would certainly be more challenging, and if that's the challenge you like to set yourself....

The only issue I can see is that knowing the GPS position of a cache, and therefore a reasonably narrow search area, you know roughly where to look and where not to look.

This information is often useful so you know not to look too far outside that search area where your searching may cause damage. You can usually rule out certain locations as being too far from where the GPS is pointing.

Without a GPS you may be tempted to stray quite a way from the actual location and search areas where the CO, landowner or whoever would rather you weren't poking around.

So bear that in mind and read the cache pages carefully to look for any additional info such as "The cache is not in the wall, so please don't pull moss from the wall". If the wall is 50 feet from where your arrow is pointing then chances are you would be nowhere near the wall anyway, but with no gps to tell you that, you could easily end up searching the wall.

Would be interested to know how you get on with your day's map caching.

You'll find others :santa:

Like, you will probably have to miss out on most if not all multis, which can be really fun to do.

You know, where you find a location then get coordinates (or clues to coordinates) which lead you from place to place and ultimately to the cache.

I'm not sure how you would do one of those as there would be no way to plot those coordinates onto a hard printed google map.

But like I said, if you are having fun then play the game however you want. Sans GPS would certainly be more challenging, and if that's the challenge you like to set yourself....

The only issue I can see is that knowing the GPS position of a cache, and therefore a reasonably narrow search area, you know roughly where to look and where not to look.

This information is often useful so you know not to look too far outside that search area where your searching may cause damage. You can usually rule out certain locations as being too far from where the GPS is pointing.

Without a GPS you may be tempted to stray quite a way from the actual location and search areas where the CO, landowner or whoever would rather you weren't poking around.

So bear that in mind and read the cache pages carefully to look for any additional info such as "The cache is not in the wall, so please don't pull moss from the wall". If the wall is 50 feet from where your arrow is pointing then chances are you would be nowhere near the wall anyway, but with no gps to tell you that, you could easily end up searching the wall.

Would be interested to know how you get on with your day's map caching.

Yea, I'm going for 7 caches, then lunch :santa: Will let you know my turn out. I'm packing my bag with:

Letherman

Mirror

Leather Gloves

Magnet

Stick and flashlight.

Yea, I'm going for 7 caches, then lunch :santa: Will let you know my turn out. I'm packing my bag with:

Letherman

Mirror

Leather Gloves

Magnet

Stick and flashlight.

Ah yes, a Leatherman Wave. Never without mine and has come into its own many many times. Even once when the dog got tangled up in some wire which wrapped itself round his leg. One quick snip with the wire cutters got him free.

Never had a need for a magnet, but you never know.

As for the mirror - it's best not to know what you look like after a day's caching :santa:

Thanks!

-Delons

Scubasonic

That depends entirely on where you're going. I was in Tanzania earlier in the year where my hotel was located, and to the east the resolution was quite good such that one could identify small buildings and even individual trees. Across the road, you couldn't even make out a large building. That was pretty much academic though as the nearest cache was about 50 miles away (which I found, and probably could have just based on the cache listing). I'm also planning a trip to Costa Rica in the spring. There are many areas there where the terrain is completely obscured by many square miles of cloud cover.

Thanks!

-Delons

Scubasonic

Well I can see how you could feel that way with th amount of finds you have.

SS

This is a total unnecessary thread!
Don't worry... there is an unlimited supply of spools.

It's not like there is a requirement to READ unnecessary threads is there? Some are very entertaining, some not! Of course the nature of Hermits is to be left alone isn't it?

Doug 7rxc

Okay, betting time, odds please on:

1) He will find all 7 without a GPS and wonder why we all use one

2) He will find none and want to know what type of GPS to buy

3) He will find some but not all but still won't want a GPS

4) He will find some but not all and will want a GPS

5) He won't find his way back to the car without a GPS and we'll never hear from him again.

:santa::santa:

(Just kidding Delons, have fun)

5) He won't find his way back to the car without a GPS and we'll never hear from him again.

Heh.. I'll bet against #5. If someone's gonna get lost from these forums, it'll be because they left their GPS behind at the last cache, not because they didn't have one in the first place. . .

:santa::santa:

(Just kidding Delons, have fun)

I predict #3: He will find some, but not all, but still won't want a GPS.

At that point, I will tell him that around here, he could find 50 similarly named keyholders in street corner metal newspaper boxes, and do it in a few hours. However, I'm not going to tell him where "here" is. :santa:

I think there's a lot meanness in some of the replies, even if it only meant as fun.

From the exchanges he has had in his 3 or 4 threads I get the feeling he can handle it ok, take a bit of ribbing and take it in the spirit it is intended.

I wouldn't joke with him if I thought he was one of the sensitive types who would take things the wrong way.

He's handled the questionning, criticisms and jokes well so I don't think he'll mind what anyone has said.

I think there's a lot meanness in some of the replies, even if it only meant as fun.

From the exchanges he has had in his 3 or 4 threads I get the feeling he can handle it ok, take a bit of ribbing and take it in the spirit it is intended.

I wouldn't joke with him if I thought he was one of the sensitive types who would take things the wrong way.

He's handled the questionning, criticisms and jokes well so I don't think he'll mind what anyone has said.

I can personally handle anything. And I think even if the OP can handle it, it's still just plain mean. But whatever makes you all feel good about yourself, you go for it.

I can personally handle anything. And I think even if the OP can handle it, it's still just plain mean. But whatever makes you all feel good about yourself, you go for it.

Oh come on, are you seriously suggesting we cant have a laugh and a joke on the forum?

I don't think anyone has been mean at all. Lots of us have wished him good luck and been quite constructive in our comments and suggestions to his idea of caching without a gps. Also in what he should take with him.

There's a difference between being mean and a bit of ribbing. It's a fine line at times, but I don't think I have crossed it in this instance.

If when the OP gets back he takes something the wrong way and thinks I'm being mean then i'll be the first to apologise. That's his call.

Thanks!

-Delons

Along with the multi-caches someone else mentioned that you can't find without a GPS, you also can't get puzzle caches.

Also I would say the number of caches you can attempt.

You are going out to find 7 caches. I found 11 in an hour once, but never could do that without a GPS.

But speed isn't what is necessarily important.

We all have different ways we enjoy the game.

If your way is without a GPS, then the more power to ya.

I hope you come back and say you found all seven of them and don't need a GPS still.

I know I couldn't do it.

Along with the multi-caches someone else mentioned that you can't find without a GPS, you also can't get puzzle caches.

I don't see why not. You would have to solve them before you go out, of course. Plug the coordinates into your favorite mapping application and then it's just like finding any other cache.

that's not really true. most puzzle caches effectively become traditionals once solved. just punch the final coords into google maps, earth or any other of your favorite mapping tool and you (theoretically) know where to go.

technically you could do the same thing with most multis if you had a way to look up coordinates on google while being out there. of course most people who have that ability already have a kind-of GPS anyway. on the other hand, i believe that this is how most iphone users find their caches really :santa:

Thanks!

-Delons

Good Luck Delons........May the force be with you...........use the force Delons.....use the force......let go....let go........

SS

You might get a multi-cache or a puzzle, if you go out and find the first clue, then return to the computer and figure out where the next stage is. I suppose if you have good skills with a paper map, you might plot the lat & long coordinates in the field. The offset caches I found were probably less than 1000 feet away from the posted coordinates, so it would not be impossible to get there with just a map, a compass, and paper to do calculations.