November 2010 Photo Competition

martlakes

Thanks to Keehotee for judging last month's competition ... and picking my pic!

Please get your photos posted to this thread on or before the 30th November.

The rules are similar to those used in previous months.....

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache, caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Two photos per caching team or cacher. (Maybe 3 if you really have an extra pic that's great!)

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish. ***

5) Photos should be recent. Higher credit will be given to photos taken in the current month.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work. On this forum, add a reply and click the small green tree icon above the text box and paste in your URL.

*** Just to be different, I thought we might have a theme this month. Despite the clocks changing it's still dark until quite late, so the theme for this month is sunrises and early morning light. I've noticed some really good ones recently with a great mix of clouds and sunlight streaming through. So, a good excuse to get out just a bit early and see if you can capture the moment on the way to your first cache of the day. Maybe dramatic clouds, or a quiet misty scene, or even an inversion with a valley full of fog. The first rays of light catching beads of dew on a spider web, or glinting off some water, or a fiery orb just cutting the horizon of black factory roofs.

Yes, you can still enter any other good caching pics but ones meeting the theme will have more weight in the judging.

Have fun! :antenna:

Taken outside the Reebok Stadium GCX4XV, shortly after finding the cache.

Ladies and Gentlemen, for your enjoyment and amazement - I give you this months winning photograph;

The left side of Harry Redknapp's forehead, glinting in the morning sun (as per Martlakes instructions).

5bd0f2e3-7f53-40e4-b6ee-67d8af3cf807.jpg

I did have the whole of his forehead framed, but some guy with a large right ear spoiled the shot.

NB - for those who don't know who Harry Redknapp is > he's the reviewer for the Tottenham area. He used to be the reviewer for Portsmouth, but left after finding there was no money for new caches.... :anibad:

Some good pics being posted.

A quick poem to inspire you:

Listen to the Exhortation of the Dawn!

Look to this Day!

For it is Life, the very Life of Life.

In its brief course lie all the

Verities and Realities of your Existence.

The Bliss of Growth,

The Glory of Action,

The Splendor of Beauty;

For Yesterday is but a Dream,

And To-morrow is only a Vision;

But To-day well lived makes

Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,

And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.

Look well therefore to this Day!

Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!

Kalidasa*

*widely regarded as the greatest poet and dramatist in the Sanskrit language.

Do not know why photo would not display in previous post. Here is second attempt of same picture.

4267791a-70e1-41b2-ab66-465a1d62c6e7.jpg

'Entrust', Victoria Bay, Brandelhow Wood.

We landed on other side. Nearly all caches found that day could be canoed right up to, lake so high.

TIGG's facebook pix are awesome of same trip. But they not mine, shucks.

(Now its showing x3. Hmm)

Edited by flipflopnick

Last chance in the next couple of days to catch the morning moment. Yet to see any snow ones! We finally had a couple of inches in Kendal last night and woke to a white scene.

I know I can't win (!) but thought I'd share a couple of mine from the last couple of weeks. There's been some great mornings and I've seen a few good sunrises.

Keep em coming!

http://coord.info/GC26TGK Lady Syke.

A beautiful misty morning with inversions in the valleys and estuaries. Sun burning off the fog on the Leven estuary.

ee959b09-9a15-45c5-bcd9-913a8d3f43f6.jpg

http://coord.info/GC1HP9B Drawing Balloons in Barrow

A great sunrise along Duke Street in Barrow, past a church to the Town Hall.

faac0dfe-7a56-42fb-82f6-9b7a39403f86.jpg

http://coord.info/GC1JFG4 Coniston Picture Panorama

The sun was just coming up and turning the Coniston fells red. It was a frosty morning and the sheep were hungry so came over to the gate to see if I was the farmer with some food!

902388c8-1583-4782-a179-369c7733e15b.jpg

I was fortunate to have a business trip to Florida earlier in the month. I put the jetlag to good use by getting up early and doing a few caches near the beach. The picture below was on my way to GCNDHT (I dream of Jeanie) plus a couple of other nearby caches. It's looking East towards the Atlantic on Cocoa Beach.

8b9ddc90-5516-4e8b-856a-3cfea46b60d4.jpg

Can I claim the first snow one...

e0af9f70-4ea2-4d69-b339-cce6509b8f48.jpg

Sort of near Scotland in Shipley II

And a bit later, crossing the Aire near Serendipity

63674489-458b-4557-8a93-ed3914ca8324.jpg

And finally, Hirst wood locks nearer the same cache (well, almost sat on it!)

01d5d96c-81c8-46a6-9b84-795cadb1df25.jpg

Many years ago, shortly after my first date with my good lady wife, we came here for our first romantic walk together. :(

We set off back home just as the snow started in Shipley. By Skipton it was coming down hard enough that the tyre tracks of the car in front were already covered, despite it only being a short distance ahead. Within half an hour of parking up back at home, there was an inch lying on the car. Good timing! We WERE supposed to visit Great Granny at Hetton, but decided not to take the chance.

Love he Sheep & Coniston Fells. Worthy of winning your own month! :(

Edited by Guanajuato

Thanks to everyone who entered, lots of good pics.

It wasn’t the easiest of themes (those early mornings!) mostly cos it’s quite hard to capture the subtle colours in the sky, which to the eye look great but not always as good in the pic. Amazing how ‘technically advanced’ a Mk1 eyeball is! Same with snow or frost pics - they never seem to quite get the sparkle of being there. So, technically can be tricky and a few minutes either way can make a big difference as the light changes. A bit of processing is sometimes useful to help the colours a little, and balance the levels a bit.

As well as getting the right moment for the light, one still has to remember the composition of the pic - interest and perspective. Anyway, plenty of successful pics and the ‘panel of judges’ didn’t find it an easy decision to pic a winner! Here’s some comments for ones we particularly enjoyed, plus a top 4.

K9 - great silhouette of the tree

Hobgoblin - marvelous cityscape

Collin4unow - great perspective on the church

Flipflopnick - hands are great: was that a purposeful set of ripples? They give the pic some movement and ‘life’ to the hands, much better pic than just a ‘muddy puddle’ would have been. Just wondered if that was done on purpose or just the result of a geobeagle!

highcliff - was the cache at the end of the rainbow! The twin sunrise and sunset ones are great

Woodruff - dramatic! Shame the darker one has lost the trees on the right. Probably ideal would be the level between the two - more colour but still with the trees. The bottom one is very good though.

nitroglysarine - nice aerial view!

goosegogger - what was the theme again! (don’t let currykev lead you astray!) Nice sun flare over the trees

The QCs - great shot: extra rations for the 5 yr old!

Lifechooser - I really like the first obelisk shot, with the curving perspective, crips edge and old ivy against a blue sky.

dogastus - cracking shot with birds and boat providing focus. Great depth, movement and colour. Might fall foul of the ‘UK cache’ rule though!

Guanajuato - great composition and reflection in middle one.

Goldpot - great snow scene and almost ‘fairytale’ castle of the bridge.

Thanks to all the others - too many to mention.

So, to the top 4:

In 4th: The QC’s -”it’s over there under those sticks Mum!”

3rd: Woodruff Sycamorph, bottom one of the pair. Can imagine that enlarged and on my wall

2nd: maiawalli - got the moment spot on, great sky and composition

And the winner of this month’s competition is:

Hobgblinkiteflier - not my usual preferred landscape of hills, but a cracking shot which has caught the different lights of the buildings and the sky perfectly. A really dramatic shot IMHO

Cheers

Martlakes :laughing:

Thanks to everyone who entered, lots of good pics.

It wasn’t the easiest of themes (those early mornings!) mostly cos it’s quite hard to capture the subtle colours in the sky, which to the eye look great but not always as good in the pic. Amazing how ‘technically advanced’ a Mk1 eyeball is! Same with snow or frost pics - they never seem to quite get the sparkle of being there. So, technically can be tricky and a few minutes either way can make a big difference as the light changes. A bit of processing is sometimes useful to help the colours a little, and balance the levels a bit.

As well as getting the right moment for the light, one still has to remember the composition of the pic - interest and perspective. Anyway, plenty of successful pics and the ‘panel of judges’ didn’t find it an easy decision to pic a winner! Here’s some comments for ones we particularly enjoyed, plus a top 4.

K9 - great silhouette of the tree

Hobgoblin - marvelous cityscape

Collin4unow - great perspective on the church

Flipflopnick - hands are great: was that a purposeful set of ripples? They give the pic some movement and ‘life’ to the hands, much better pic than just a ‘muddy puddle’ would have been. Just wondered if that was done on purpose or just the result of a geobeagle!

highcliff - was the cache at the end of the rainbow! The twin sunrise and sunset ones are great

Woodruff - dramatic! Shame the darker one has lost the trees on the right. Probably ideal would be the level between the two - more colour but still with the trees. The bottom one is very good though.

nitroglysarine - nice aerial view!

goosegogger - what was the theme again! (don’t let currykev lead you astray!) Nice sun flare over the trees

The QCs - great shot: extra rations for the 5 yr old!

Lifechooser - I really like the first obelisk shot, with the curving perspective, crips edge and old ivy against a blue sky.

dogastus - cracking shot with birds and boat providing focus. Great depth, movement and colour. Might fall foul of the ‘UK cache’ rule though!

Guanajuato - great composition and reflection in middle one.

Goldpot - great snow scene and almost ‘fairytale’ castle of the bridge.

Thanks to all the others - too many to mention.

So, to the top 4:

In 4th: The QC’s -”it’s over there under those sticks Mum!”

3rd: Woodruff Sycamorph, bottom one of the pair. Can imagine that enlarged and on my wall

2nd: maiawalli - got the moment spot on, great sky and composition

And the winner of this month’s competition is:

Hobgblinkiteflier - not my usual preferred landscape of hills, but a cracking shot which has caught the different lights of the buildings and the sky perfectly. A really dramatic shot IMHO

Cheers

Martlakes :rolleyes:

Sunrises and early morning ? :laughing:

not that I'm bovvered anyway, NOT BOVVERED! its a stupid competition anyway , hhrrrmmpph

:laughing:

Edited by goosegogger