New thingamajiggywhozawhatsit inspired by travel bug

Guest Jake.Hazelip

Guest Jake.Hazelip

Well, I began working on my MayoBug (don't worry, you'll understand when you see it) yesterday and a thought occured to me. I'd like to set my bug out on a specific path, have pictured taken along the way, and then see those neat pics.

But, how the Hell would I do that?

I thought of a relay race, and how a baton, or a flag is passed from one person to the next to get to the finish of the race. What if I could take a special travel bug (say Jeremy were kind enough to have them anodized a different color like Green) and you attached them to a flag or baton or a toy like most do today anyway. You packaged them all together with a camera of its own and a laminated card with a "cache map" of where the bug was supposed to go next. You see, this bug wouldn't just go around willy-nilly. You'd have a planned route. From this cache to that cache and on to the next. Researching which caches you wanted to use on your route would ensure that you'd only be going to caches of a suitable size to hold a second camera, for example. Also, you'd be able to limit your "cache map" to a number of caches equivalent to the number of exposures on the camera.

Get the zip code from the final destination cache's location, and you'd be able to create a postage paid label from UPS.com or someplace like that to bundle with (the name I came up with) Relay Bug. Once the bug was returned it could either be retired with it's accompanying photo album, or it could be sent on a whole new trip.

Ideally, I'd like to see differently colored and numbered TBs sold with a small flag attached to them. Maybe it's just because that's what I have in my head, but I think it'd look pretty neat.

I'm actually considering working this out with my own TB to see how feasible it might be.

So...whaddayathink?

dy on them, i dont think that will happen, but who can say for sure...

but i may be totally wrong, the only way to find out is to get a TB and set and path and see if it will follow.... good luck

Guest glenn95630

"you'd be able to limit your "cache map" to a number of caches equivalent to the number of exposures on the camera."

Let's assume that is 24 exposures.

Let's assume 1.5 months from one cache to another. That is 36 months... 3 years.

What happens when the 13th cache gets archived when the relay bug is in the 5th cache? Skips the 13th spot I guess.

In general I like TBs (see Spot) http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=224

but this 'fixed' path bug rubs me the wrong way. I doubt I would help it along.

glenn95630

Guest jbmccarthy69

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

Ideally, I'd like to see differently colored and numbered TBs sold with a small flag attached to them

Why not paint it yourself and attach your own flag?

miatablk.gif

Guest glenn95630

The Difference:

The 'Relay' Bug has a choice of one cache to go to.

The 'Chronobug' has many choices (at least 220 in California).

Restrictiveness:

I wouldn't pick up either of them. The nearest old cache appears to be 60 miles away from me. I wouldn't go that far for a bug.

glenn95630

Guest GeoCrickets

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

The Difference:

The 'Relay' Bug has a choice of one cache to go to.

The 'Chronobug' has many choices (at least 220 in California).

Restrictiveness:

I wouldn't pick up either of them. The nearest old cache appears to be 60 miles away from me. I wouldn't go that far for a bug.

glenn95630

Apollo M1 A1 in only 4 miles from me. And by looking at the others there are a few more in the area..

Guest Jake.Hazelip

quote:
Originally posted by jbmccarthy69:

Why not paint it yourself and attach your own flag?

Well, I come from a more comic collecting background. I know how a slight change in a single product can create it's own demand. Particularly if the original product has a rather faithful following, which the travelbug has. Also, my simple painting wouldn't be as good as anodizing. Anodizing changes the color of the metal. Paint chips and wears off. If I could come up with one more product for Jeremy to sell, make some more money, and help to keep geocaching.com self-sustaining as a result, then I'd feel pretty good about that.

I was not only trying to come up with a slightly different way of doing things, I was attempting to come up with a new product to help Jeremy. That's all.