Can you revisit a Cache to get the Travel Bug

ScurvyDog

If the travel bug is stuck in a dormant cache, then sure; revisit it and place in a more popular cache. I almost went to retrive a travel bug I placed in a cache after it did not move for almost a month. Someone finally collected it and sent it on its way and I was saved the trip.

Imagine life in a cacheless society!

I think its ok, I do it all the time, but it backfired on me recently when I ended up with several bugs at one time, then my caching plans did not go the way I wanted. Still have a few not mine I am going to drop off soon, then place my own I have out there. I also stopped in to retreive one I left and it it ended up stuck there since September. Felt quilty so I returned and exchanged it for one my own, was trying to generate traffic in the area but there are not many cachers in Northern New Brunswick right now. I do agree with not posting the subsiquent visit as notes and not finds tho, because you were already there and should know where it is, but I have had to search for the second time when the vegatation has grown in and you could have sworn it is suppose to be where you are looking, quick jaunt in while raining I think not, got soaked. I like chasing travel bugs.

Car37

Not sure where to put my post, this seams like a good spot sense someone said something about newbies not knowing what to do with TB's. Here where I live as of late, there has been a number of TB's taken from one cache to another and not loged on the TB page. But would list them on the cache page. They still show them on the last cache page they had been log on. It seams to me that we need to get them to read all information on geocaching before the start going out and grabing. icon_confused.gif

Mejas icon_frown.gif

This is a fine practice that often helps bugs move. As long as you log the revisit with the NOTE option and not a FOUND IT then no one should mind.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

If you really want to help a bug along then when you pickit up go home and print out ont of the sheets on this link for that bug and put the sheet and bug in a ziplock before sending it on its way. icon_biggrin.gifMight keep it from going MIA if a novice gets it next. yourehttp://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1a.asp

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:
Originally posted by ScurvyDog:

I wanted to know "How others felt"

Have you ever revisited a cache to pick up a TB, and do you feel it's Ok or Not?

I feel it ok, but wouldn't want to upset other Cachers. Would it??

I'm considering setting up a T-bug Hotel in my area. I live very close to a major Interstate crossing within miles of an International Airport. I'm hoping that I can find a good spot close to this and set up a hotel. I've ordered four new bugs to start this out. I'm planning on putting in three of the bugs, plus a bug which I've just found.

Back to your original question, I've gone back to caches to pick up bugs that were languishing. There was one that had been in the cache for over a month. It was a class project with two bugs racing each other. One got off to a good start and the other hadn't moved at all. I went up, grabbed it and placed it into a fairly new cache. Within days, it had been picked up and was crossing state lines. Sometimes if you don't give those bugs a nudge now and then, they'll just languish there.

I don't do it just because you are not really "finding" the cache. You already know where it is. BUT, what I do is convince a fellow geocacher or two I work with to go to the site and get the bug. Then we do a cache together the next week where he drops it off and I pick it up.

1) yes, revisit caches to get bugs

2) write in the logbook that you took the bug

3) put a NOTE on geocaching.com that you took the bug (not a find)

4) Don't be a bug hog. If you feel you have taken too many bugs recently, then let a bug sit for a week before getting it.

5) Don't let bugs sit long in a cache near you. Move them!

Bug hogs are annoying, but not much. There was a guy in our area that went on a bug rescue mission to get 3 bugs that had gone south into remote caches that rarely get visits. Each one had sat over 6 weeks. That's not being a hog -- he was more like Rambo rescuing POWs. Then he came back and gunned down the person responsible for keeping them prisoner! Oh, well, it wasn't quite like that, but sort of.

quote:
Originally posted by ScurvyDog:

I wanted to know "How others felt"

Have you ever revisited a cache to pick up a TB, and do you feel it's Ok or Not?

I feel it ok, but wouldn't want to upset other Cachers. Would it??

I do this all the time. I enjoy getting travel bugs and I am seeking to log a high travel bug find count in addition to a high geocache find count. I now have 70 travel bugs found. I particularly enjoy getting travel bugs when I am planning to go on a trip away from home, when I can move travel bugs and put mileage on them. It is also a good way to go on short hikes close to my home when there aren't new caches near my home and I don't have time to travel a significant distance (such as after work on weekday evenings).

I took eight travel bugs with me on a recent trip to Yuma County AZ/Imperial County CA and distributed all of the bugs that weekend (among 14 cache findings, not including virtuals) and I have four with me right now, that I plan to distribute (in addition to others that I may acquire during the next week or so) during a trip that I am planning to west Texas over President's Day Weekend.

Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

I am generally opposed to gathering TB's from caches you have already found. The original reason for placing TB's, as I understood it, was to provide an additional attraction to the cache. If cachers who have logged a find for a cache, and subsequently move TB's from that cache to another, and don't log a new "find", what has been accomplished, other than taking the TB away from a newbie or someone who hasn't yet found the cache? I suggest there are many other caches to find, and new ones to place. The benchmark activity also provides a lot of opportunity for something new to do. Leave the cache, and associated TB maintenance to the owner.

WWDIG2.jpg

[This message was edited by Whichwaydoigo on February 12, 2003 at 09:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by Whichwaydoigo on February 12, 2003 at 10:00 AM.]

The one exception was when my brothers TB landed in a cache 1 mile from my cache. He doesn't live anywhere near me and I just had to return to the cache so I could take pics of him and post the event on the site. It was special to me to be able to log a find on my brothers TB especially since it was total fluke that the TB was so close to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't make a practice of it.

But then I suppose it's all up to how you want to play the game.. not too many rules ya know? I wouldn't frown on you either way unless you constantly got all the TB's in the area, leaving none for anyone else to play with.

-Let's play Global Thermonuclear War-

If it is a bug that i know I can help out on it's mission or if I have watched the cache and the bug hasn't moved in 2 months, I'll go grab it to get it moving.( logging it as a grab on the bug page and a note on the cache page) . Here in New Eng. bugs seem to stay put if it was placed right before winter and we get hit with snow..and I don't mind caching in snow...

I also will regrab a bug I placed if it doesn't move for months. Just because I feel responsable for placing in a cache that has been visited offen.

I hate slow moving bugs!!!

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376