Reset Travel Bug

Thank you Markwell and everyone else for helping me figure out this problem. Markwell was right on the money. I wrote Groundspeak customer service and they essentially said the same thing that Markwell said.

I logged the TB as if I had retrieved it from the wrong cache, then I deleted my original log at the correct cache and re-entered the visit. Since the computer thought I had the TB in my possession it then allowed me to transfer the TB to the correct cache. I then went in and deleted all the old logs for the TB so I could correct the distance the TB traveled.

Thanks Again!!! I have included Groundspeak's original message below:

The movement of a travel bug is calculated and listed by date order on the web site.

Sometimes a travel bug gets logged incorrectly. For example, a travel bug is picked up by one user before the other person has a chance to record its movement on the web site. In this situation you can sometimes fix the movement by adding logs and backdating them so they match the time they were in the missing caches.

To do this:

1. Grab the travel bug from wherever it is now.

2. Log the cache you want to drop the travel bug in and select the travel bug so it is left on the caches web page. Make sure to backdate the drop so it matches the date it was left there. 3. Grab the travel bug back and list the date it was picked up as the date it was taken from the cache. 4. Place it back in the cache that it is currently in with today's date. 5. After the miles are correct, delete any of the logs that are unnecessary, like the log in step 4. Step 4 was only to make sure that the travel bug is listed in the right location.

Viewing the page should now show the corrected distance that the bug has traveled.

Sometimes it is too difficult to add entries after the travel bug has moved around the world. Although it is great to have every stop on its journey recorded, you can still enjoy its continuing journeys.

This makes perfect sense to me but what do you do if you don't have the TB number? I just use the trackables inventory in my account to dropbugs in caches so I can only look at log now and the location is many miles away.

Thank you Markwell and everyone else for helping me figure out this problem. Markwell was right on the money. I wrote Groundspeak customer service and they essentially said the same thing that Markwell said.

I logged the TB as if I had retrieved it from the wrong cache, then I deleted my original log at the correct cache and re-entered the visit. Since the computer thought I had the TB in my possession it then allowed me to transfer the TB to the correct cache. I then went in and deleted all the old logs for the TB so I could correct the distance the TB traveled.

Thanks Again!!! I have included Groundspeak's original message below:

The movement of a travel bug is calculated and listed by date order on the web site.

Sometimes a travel bug gets logged incorrectly. For example, a travel bug is picked up by one user before the other person has a chance to record its movement on the web site. In this situation you can sometimes fix the movement by adding logs and backdating them so they match the time they were in the missing caches.

To do this:

1. Grab the travel bug from wherever it is now.

2. Log the cache you want to drop the travel bug in and select the travel bug so it is left on the caches web page. Make sure to backdate the drop so it matches the date it was left there. 3. Grab the travel bug back and list the date it was picked up as the date it was taken from the cache. 4. Place it back in the cache that it is currently in with today's date. 5. After the miles are correct, delete any of the logs that are unnecessary, like the log in step 4. Step 4 was only to make sure that the travel bug is listed in the right location.

Viewing the page should now show the corrected distance that the bug has traveled.

Sometimes it is too difficult to add entries after the travel bug has moved around the world. Although it is great to have every stop on its journey recorded, you can still enjoy its continuing journeys.

Edited by GeoKayG

This makes perfect sense to me but what do you do if you don't have the TB number? I just use the trackables inventory in my account to dropbugs in caches so I can only look at log now and the location is many miles away.

Now is the time that you need to learn you should always keep the tracking number -- at least until you are sure it is logged properly and completely "out of your hands".

This is a (small) problem with the ability to drop a trackable simply by using a drop-down menu. Mistakes happen. It sometimes is necessary to make corrections.

Make a note of the # when you pick it up. Toss the # when you are done and movin' on. Some never toss the number.

It used to be that you needed the number each and every time you logged (aside from notes).