Dipping a bug

Student Camper

If I'm not mistaken, this is when you log a bug into a cache and then log it back out, thus keeping it in your possession but showing that you were there.

When you find a cache, you sign the log to show you were there.

I am probably missing something but what's the difference? it seems a bit redundant and more expensive.

I can see having a travelbug on a vehicle where cachers can log and report where they have seen it at.

If I'm not mistaken, this is when you log a bug into a cache and then log it back out, thus keeping it in your possession but showing that you were there.

Yes. You used to have to do the dip with two separate actions (placing it into the cache using the cache log, then retrieving it back out of that cache again using the tracking number) but now it can be done in one action by selection the option "Visited" next to the TB's name in your Trackables Inventory.

I am probably missing something but what's the difference? it seems a bit redundant and more expensive.

I can see having a travelbug on a vehicle where cachers can log and report where they have seen it at.

Yes, your log in the log book shows that you visited the cache. Dipping is a way to show that trackables in your possession also visited the cache. Some cachers keep a personal geocoin or TB that always stays with them: They will use it to dip through every cache they visit so that its mileage reflects their own geocaching travels.

MrsB :antenna:

So there are two separate entities visiting the cache, each logging for its own purposes, correct?

If you can't (or don't) leave a bug in a cache, perhaps it's too small it fit, you can 'visit' the bug so it gets credit for having been there. This is done along with the cache log so there is no additional step to Retrieve it back out.

Previously, to Dip a bug you had to Drop it along with your cache log and then access the bug page and Retrieve it back into your possession.

The bug tracks its journey as it is being carried by a cacher. It follows them along the same path for as long as they hold it. Once it is dropped off, another will pick it up and the bug will be tracked through the caches that cacher visits.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The only reason I can think of is because it gives you a very quick easy mileage count and map of where you've been? I always enjoy looking at a TB's map, so I could see the desire to see your own travels that way, too.

Another reason for dipping a trackable would be to help with its mission. E.g. I picked up a geocoin whose mission was to travel to towns/cities and be photographed with the "Welcome To..." sign of the town/city. I found a cache at the foot of one of these signs, but it was a micro and the coin would not fit in. So I uploaded a photo and used the Visited action, to show that the coin had been there.

I dip my personal coin for mileage and to see my trip on the map.

I had another bug that was dipped by someone who took it on a cruise with them. They visited a lot of neat caches and I got ot see where my bug went while they were on the trip as they dipped it through.

I'll dip bugs if I got to caches it won't fit in that fit with the mission. And also for a fellow geocaching who likes caches by cemeteries I dipped their bug on a trip I took at the cemetery caches. That was mostly so they could go back and find them if they desire someday.

I also dip a personal tag just for my mileage. I don't normally do tag/coin visits, but I did several recently as I took some travel bugs to several caches out of country. I feel its sort of cheaty if I don't post pictures of the bug in the area two, I have to log the cache so I make sure I post a picture of bug visits, but thats just my personal thing.

I personally would never "dip a bug." This is a practice that has sadly evolved over time and in the process the charm of the TB has been lost. Travel bugs originally were meant to be placed in caches by their owner(s)then picked up and moved BY OTHER CACHERS to a cache of their choosing. The key words here are..... OTHER CACHERS.

"Travel bug dipping," ruins the entire travel bug concept same as logging your own caches as finds ruins the entire charm of the game.

Fake miles and Fake smiles.

That's just me ! I would never dip a bug nor would I ever log one of my own caches ( or one I helped hide ), as a find.

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

We have used the "dipping" option several times, as we picked up some trackables whilst on holiday fully intending to drop them off, but on return (to Saudi Arabia)were unable to go geocaching due to work, (we did contact the owners and inform them.)We did manage a week of geocaching but this was to some very remote caches which were seldom visited - this trip was planned months in advance - so we dipped the trackables into these caches so they could visit the country and at the next opportunity we dropped them off "properly" in some regularly visited caches.

I was on a road trip from Baltimore to Dallas and I found a bug just outside Baltimore that wanted to visit all 50 states. I dipped it in a cache in each state along the way and set it free outside Dallas.

That's fine if that's what you like to do but it's not even remotely close to how travel bugs and coins were intended to travel and be logged ! Travelers that are dipped aren't picking up or accumulating "real," miles when they're in someone's pocket, backpack or home in a drawer. You're supposed to leave it there and part of the fun and excitement of the travel bug is to see who's going to pick it up and move it next and where they're going to take it. As I stated earlier, the charm is lost.

I see a lot of cachers dipping their own personal bugs/coins. So if I have coins at home in an album and I dip them into every cache I visit, seriously, has that coin gone anywhere ? Are those miles real ??

We had a cacher once visit and log a series of 17 caches we own. 3 weeks later he posted a note on each of those 17 caches pages stating he was dipping his personal coin and he would delete all the notes when he was done.

I have to be frank, I thought it was absurd ! Fake miles.

I was on a road trip from Baltimore to Dallas and I found a bug just outside Baltimore that wanted to visit all 50 states. I dipped it in a cache in each state along the way and set it free outside Dallas.

That's fine if that's what you like to do but it's not even remotely close to how travel bugs and coins were intended to travel and be logged ! Travelers that are dipped aren't picking up or accumulating "real," miles when they're in someone's pocket, backpack or home in a drawer. You're supposed to leave it there and part of the fun and excitement of the travel bug is to see who's going to pick it up and move it next and where they're going to take it. As I stated earlier, the charm is lost.

I see a lot of cachers dipping their own personal bugs/coins. So if I have coins at home in an album and I dip them into every cache I visit, seriously, has that coin gone anywhere ? Are those miles real ??

We had a cacher once visit and log a series of 17 caches we own. 3 weeks later he posted a note on each of those 17 caches pages stating he was dipping his personal coin and he would delete all the notes when he was done.

Wanted to add that travel bug dipping seems to be frowned upon in The Annual Great TB Race as stated below. Dipped miles are ignored/not counted:

"During the race, there a few rules in place"

"1. Dipping (or visiting) is not allowed. However, we can’t stop this from occurring. So how do we handle a dip? If a dip occurs, scoring volunteers recalculate mileage from the starting point to the ending point, disregarding the dipped cache. Any points earned from the dip will not be tallied, including pictures, borders, etc. In some caches, this has resulted in serious point losses. All travel bugs will have an attached tag that states the No Dipping rule."

Well, you can certainly look at it that way if you wish. I happen to be a big opponent of virtual logging - the bug has to actually has to visit the cache to have been there. My personal travel bug is always with me, it goes to every cache I visit, so to assume that it really didn't go there simply because it was carried by one person is a bit of a narrow definition of how a travel bug travels.

I assume you think bugs shouldn't be logged through micros either since there is no way they could have been left there.

As for racing bugs, those often have strict rules that govern how it can move, such as no dipping. Regulating how a bug can move seems to go against 'natural travel' if you ask me. Whatever floats that bug owner's boat, I guess.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yes, your log in the log book shows that you visited the cache. Dipping is a way to show that trackables in your possession also visited the cache. Some cachers keep a personal geocoin or TB that always stays with them: They will use it to dip through every cache they visit so that its mileage reflects their own geocaching travels.

MrsB :antenna:

I have a personal travel bug that I have "dipped" in several caches but the mileage still says 0. Am I doing something wrong????

I have a personal travel bug that I have "dipped" in several caches but the mileage still says 0. Am I doing something wrong????

The system is often temperamental about keeping the mileage current. Access the bug page and under trackable item option click the drop-down menu that currently shows 'Mark item missing'. Under there is the 'Recalculate Distance' option. Select and click Go.

3bd5a0bc-28c7-4c1b-9293-d61c4aab9185.jpg

You talk about fake miles, well the miles aren't fake. I have a personal Geocoin that I take to every cache I visit. When I log the find I then "dip" the coin. I only do this so that I know how many miles I have traveled from cache to cache. This coin is very special and if it was sent out on a specific mission it would be taken, and I guarantee it. I never do this with my TB's though. I send them out on missions. The TB's are not really worth a lot of money, but I wouldn't want them muggled either. I already have one TB that someone has been holding onto for a long time. After contacting someone at GS she finally contacted me and said she would be moving it on soon. So if you want to keep track of your miles then go ahead and "dip" or "visit" your coin or bug. After all, it is up to you what you do with them.

Edited by BigAl437

I have bugs that I have picked up get dipped at various caches along my day of caching. The miles aren't fake as the TB is in my possession, and there are times in a day of caching where its all micro's and mini's and the TB won't fit. I feel it also gives the TB owner confirmation that its also not lost.

I will only have TBs and coins visit a cache if it is in my possession at the time of the cache.

I had a situation with a TB that wanted to visit farms. The only cache that was near a farm was a micro. I logged the TB as visiting the cache, took a picture of it with sheep in the background (it was a sheep TB) and moved it to a bigger cache later on. I really don't think the TB owner would mind that it just visited the cache.

I dip my vehicle TB in event caches. It's there. I can't physically leave my truck in a cache for another cacher to take. Are they fake miles? I think not.

As for my travel bugs that are released in the world...I've been having horrible luck with them going missing. So I'd rather have an honorable cacher dip one as they travel across the country than have it be stolen or lost before it has the opportunity to travel across the country.

Having just seen and heard about this practice for the first time the other day I have mixed feelings.

If the owner of a trackable does not want it dipped they could put there desire in the discription / instructions.

I have a geocoin that I don't want to release, but I am going to start taking it with me so that I can see where all I have been on the map. I plan on logging it only if the coin goes there with me. I also take pictures at almost every cache (depending on weather, time and muggles)and would include these with the coin.

(fixed some typo's)

Edited by farrtom

Yea, I even use fake gas to take my personal coin to all the caches I visit so it can log fake miles :laughing:

Yea, I even use fake gas to take my personal coin to all the caches I visit so it can log fake miles :laughing:

Maybe you should take some fake Beano to prevent the fake gas :anibad:

Maybe you should take some fake Beano to prevent the fake gas :anibad:

LOL!

I see there are mixed feelings with regards to dipping.

I have a question for those who are in favor of the practice. If I were to start "dipping" a TB that I bought and want to bring with me to track my miles, would it be bad practice to go back and "dip" in my past finds on the dates that i signed the logs? I really just want to track my miles as a cacher...if there is a better way to do this, I'm all ears.

I see there are mixed feelings with regards to dipping.

I have a question for those who are in favor of the practice. If I were to start "dipping" a TB that I bought and want to bring with me to track my miles, would it be bad practice to go back and "dip" in my past finds on the dates that i signed the logs? I really just want to track my miles as a cacher...if there is a better way to do this, I'm all ears.

Lots of cachers do exactly this ^^^. It used to be "dipping" but now you can do exactly the same thing by selecting the "visited" option for your trackable. It's easier if you're fairly new to the game and haven't got hundreds of finds to be back-logged!

It's acceptable to do it and I think most cache owners don't mind as long as you use back-dated note logs to 'visit' the trackable to their cache and add a comment something like, "Just logging my personal tracker through this cache to track my geocaching mileage" to make it clear what's going on.

MrsB

Well, you can certainly look at it that way if you wish. I happen to be a big opponent of virtual logging - the bug has to actually has to visit the cache to have been there. My personal travel bug is always with me, it goes to every cache I visit, so to assume that it really didn't go there simply because it was carried by one person is a bit of a narrow definition of how a travel bug travels.

I assume you think bugs shouldn't be logged through micros either since there is no way they could have been left there.

As for racing bugs, those often have strict rules that govern how it can move, such as no dipping. Regulating how a bug can move seems to go against 'natural travel' if you ask me. Whatever floats that bug owner's boat, I guess.

edit: typo

Again, this is just my opinion...bug dipping is lame as it equals fake miles. logging your own caches as finds is lame as it equals fake smiles. if you practice either or both, good for you. i don't. fake miles. fake smiles. if you want to do it, do it. there aren't any rules against either practice so why not ?

the sport changes every day and in doing so travels farther and farther away from how it was originally intended to be played. this interpretation, that interpretation. this way. that way. everytime it changes and veers away from how it was originally intended to be played, the more charm it loses.

sometimes, rules are a good thing.

it's sort of like a masterpiece that's been copied over and over and over and over...reinterpreted, repainted by different artists....eventually, the original is lost. gone. those first brushstrokes can no longer be traced and the painting becomes a worthless piece of junk...

what did the original look like ? nobody knows....nobody can remember...

I like seeing a map of where I found geocaches... How does my dipping of my coin hurt any other cacher out there? It is clearly in my possession. It's obvious what I'm doing if someone decided they wanted to hyperanalyze my travel bugs. So really at the end of the day how does this affect others? It doesn't.

I would actually prefer if my travellers in the wild were being dipped so then I knew they still existed. Again, how is that hurting anyone? It's not.

For some of us this isn't a silly competition. For some of us this is just a hobby.

I don't look at it as not hurting anything, I look at it as assisting the bug towards its goal, and/or sharing the adventure by telling stories and posting photos. Of course One-Hop Charlie here thinks the we have sullied the spirit of geocaching which is not only ludicrous but fairly insulting.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I personally do not have problem with dipping. I have travel bug whose mission is to visit all 50 states. I have had some wonderful cachers who have picked up my bug and who have taken it with them to their final destination, and have dipped my bug into all the caches they found during their trip, helping my bug reach her goal. I have done the same thing. If I am heading out on a road trip and will be caching along the way, I will dip a bug I have found into each the cache I find and physically leave it in a cache when I reach final destination. During these road trips, I leave the bug in my car (and do not physically place it in the cache and pull it out) but since I have actually found the cache and signed the log, I do not feel I am somehow 'cheating' the system!

I personally would never "dip a bug." This is a practice that has sadly evolved over time and in the process the charm of the TB has been lost. Travel bugs originally were meant to be placed in caches by their owner(s)then picked up and moved BY OTHER CACHERS to a cache of their choosing. The key words here are..... OTHER CACHERS.

"Travel bug dipping," ruins the entire travel bug concept same as logging your own caches as finds ruins the entire charm of the game.

That's just me ! I would never dip a bug nor would I ever log one of my own caches ( or one I helped hide ), as a find.

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! I have 3 bugs with pages full of travels -- in circles -- in the same general area -- with no regard to their stated goals -- all by the same person!!! How is this fun? One actually came close enough to me that I went and rescued it! The sad truth is that, thanks to my dipper, it never got very far from me! Can we start an Annoyed With Dipping Club?

I am a relatively new cacher and have so far released just one Travel Bug (TB3ZJZJ).

My questions is, if I am planning on releasing by Travel Bug whilst away from home (say on holiday) is it acceptable (or necessary) to 'dip' it into a local cache before release to ensure its mileage reflects the initial journey before release?

Thank you

I am a relatively new cacher and have so far released just one Travel Bug (TB3ZJZJ).

My questions is, if I am planning on releasing by Travel Bug whilst away from home (say on holiday) is it acceptable (or necessary) to 'dip' it into a local cache before release to ensure its mileage reflects the initial journey before release?

Thank you

Absolutely. In fact I recommend you do so.

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! I have 3 bugs with pages full of travels -- in circles -- in the same general area -- with no regard to their stated goals -- all by the same person!!! How is this fun? One actually came close enough to me that I went and rescued it! The sad truth is that, thanks to my dipper, it never got very far from me! Can we start an Annoyed With Dipping Club?

i can see how this might be annoying to a TB owner that has a mission not being remotely met. but this is one cacher who needs 'informing or reminding' - i have no TB's yet but if someone picked up mine i would approve it for dipping if it moved it onwards in its mission.

maybe thats a potential fix? Add a section when creating the TB page to say if you would like it to be DIPPED or NOT DIPPED and say how long would be the max time one person should keep it before actually dropping it for example.

C

Thank you

I too am new at geocaching and see nothing wrong with TB's visiting geocache sites. If Geocaching.com felt this was wrong then why would they have added the "Visiting" feature to TB's, maybe contests change the rules, but for personal and mission TB's it's fair game. Just my 2 cents!

Whenever we find a TB & move it along, we dip it into every cache we visit along the way until we drop it again. Every cache we visit, I am wearing the "Cache Bag" slung over my shoulder. Every TB we pick up gets written down in the physical log book, then stays in the "Cache Bag" until we drop it into another cache. Whatever its goal- it's still been there along the way.

One would think that this would actually be appreciated by TB owners, as the bug's actual (not fake) mileage gets logged along the way to its goal, even if it did have a little side trip here & there. It also lets them know that it is still in the cacher's possession, is not forgotten, & is also not sitting in the bottom of someone's 5 year old's toybox. For someone to assume that we are logging "fake miles", they would be way off base.

Of course, we would assume someone that got angry enough to contact us rudely about it to be way off base anyways. We would think that the TB owner has some serious control issues, & we would want nothing to do with them.

Of course, we would assume someone that got angry enough to contact us rudely about it to be way off base anyways. We would think that the TB owner has some serious control issues, & we would want nothing to do with them.

Dipping through caching along a trip and then dropping it off at the final destination is usually not a problem in most cases. There have been people who hold them for months dipping it through scores of caches with no oblivious attempt of going anywhere in particular.

Make a reasonable attempt to assist the bug towards it's goal. Going nowhere fast isn't the point of travel bugs.

Dipping through caching along a trip and then dropping it off at the final destination is usually not a problem in most cases. There have been people who hold them for months dipping it through scores of caches with no oblivious attempt of going anywhere in particular.

Make a reasonable attempt to assist the bug towards it's goal. Going nowhere fast isn't the point of travel bugs.

Yes, I can see how not intending to assist it towards its goal but just moving it around might warrant a calm, well worded email about it's original goal, & perhaps even suggestions on what the cacher could do to further assist it. We would receive an email like that well, & do what we could to comply. What I was talking about was an angry email about a side trip on it's way to a drop where it could continue on to its goal while it was still in our possession. That's just extra "real" miles, & adds to the bug's experience.

The good thing about going nowhere fast (as you have described) is that the TB owner doesn't get notified for each visit. So unless the owner is paying close attention, he/she will not even notice untill it is finaly dropped into a cache.

The good thing about going nowhere fast (as you have described) is that the TB owner doesn't get notified for each visit. So unless the owner is paying close attention, he/she will not even notice untill it is finaly dropped into a cache.

I don't know that not getting an email for a visit is by design. It might start up again.

I recently took a travel bug on vacation to Seattle with me and dipped it at the well known spots (Space needle, HQ, ape cache, snoqualmie Falls) and took photos along the way. Handed it to someone going home to Missouri next.

I agree with those who say that it's a bit boring to see a whole string of 20 or more 'visited' logs on your trackable's page, especially when each hop is only a short distance. Personally, we'd never do this (primarily because we never do that sort of 'series caching' anyway :D ) but when out for the day we will 'visit' trackables to a couple of the more interesting caches, just to show the owner that they've been into the area.

I'm prepared to put up with the occasional long "visiting runs" in return for the very useful 'Visit' facility to show the route of the trackable more accurately - To me, it has more pluses than minuses.

MrsB :)