CITO- question from a newbie

i have not done caching for very long, oh well alright for a year, but was not successful for a very long time...now as my kids and i have a better unit and can actually find what we are looking for we notice trash of all kinds around cache locations......my question is:

what is the "policy" on removing obvious trash that is used in cache photos as a "landmark hint" or in location descriptions as a hint??

my belief is that an old rusty construction sign half buried in the dirt is not supposed to be in a forest, yet it was used in the two descriptions i mentioned above.

thanks.

I'm with you. Trash is trash. As cachers, we want to be part of the solution, not prolong the problem. Any time you are willing and able to remove garbage from cache sites, kudos to you for doing so!!

A note to the cache owner about your CITO efforts and a mention in your log about the removal would be a helpful intel update.

Kind of a complicated question. I'm assuming that the sign in question predates the cache placement by several years and does not belong to the cache owner?

Here in the U.S., objects of this nature that are greater than 50 years old are considered archeological artifacts and are protected by Federal Law. I would assume that Canada has a similar law. In such a case, I would leave the sign undisturbed.

I usually limit my CITO activities to smaller, more obvious items, such as paper and plastic items that appear to be carelessly discarded.

This sign in question may pre-date the cache however it is not considered archeological. i would like to remove them as i have now seen multiple instances of various street and construction signs throughout the forest near our home. this forest is not provate property to anyone in particular, it is owned by the greenspace commission called the NCC. there are also tires, car parts, wood remnants, etc. maybe if i choose an area that have no cache i can make it a CITO effort??

...maybe if i choose an area that have no cache i can make it a CITO effort??

If it were me, I'd probably coordinate with the Land Manager to see if a CITO Event was possible. The greenspace commission might be able to supply some equipment to help haul the stuff out, and be able to access parts of the forest that normal mortals cannot (i.e. fuel break roads that are closed to the public for instance).

Best of luck!