Best GPS Device for Guernsey?

N-JET

Hi new to this and live in Guernsey.

Been using an iPhone 3GS to do our first few caches in Guernsey and some in France when on holiday.

Seems a bit hit and miss with the iPhoen sometimes not very close to the cache. Does anyone have any recommendations of gps devices that they have used in Guernsey?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi

You don't need a specific type of GPS just for Guernsey.... any GPS will work there. I've just updated a page on my resource website about GPS receivers, maps and more. Take a look. It will hopefully ( :antenna: ) help you choose. Also includes a bit about getting an iPhone to work properly. Feedback appreciated!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

.....I've just updated a page on my resource website about GPS receivers, maps and more. Take a look.....................

Chris

I've never noticed any compliments so I'd like to say that your Follow the Arrow site is really great - a brilliant resource for geocachers new and old. Many thanks old mate for the work you have put in to create and update it. :antenna:

FMC

Seconded!

Yup, most definitely! I've lost count on the number of folks I've pointed at those excellent pages!

Cheers!

Jon.

Constructive feedback: No mention of PDA caching under GPS Receivers seems like an omission to me. I know of several cachers who couple paperless PDA caching with a built-in or Bluetooth GPS unit to find and place caches.

To reply to the original question, I've cached in Guernsey (indeed, visited all but six caches on the island) with a simple, budget eTrex and found almost all of them.

Constructive feedback: No mention of PDA caching under GPS Receivers seems like an omission to me. I know of several cachers who couple paperless PDA caching with a built-in or Bluetooth GPS unit to find and place caches.

PDA's are mentioned on the paperless page and implied on the paragraph about phones that use Windows. I don't show any Magellan stuff either. This is just a lack of time to research them and put the information together. If you lot would stop submitting caches I'd get on with it :huh:

Chris

Graculus

PDA's are mentioned on the paperless page and implied on the paragraph about phones that use Windows. I don't show any Magellan stuff either. This is just a lack of time to research them and put the information together. If you lot would stop submitting caches I'd get on with it :huh:

Chris

Graculus

Many thanks for all the feedback.

New to the caching lark in Guernsey. Started today using the free iPhone app to see if it was something I'd get into. Yep ... looks like a go to me; located and physically found 3 caches within 3 miles of home inside an hour, all on foot!

The iPhone seems good, but I'm going to try the 2 Garmin devices I have (Foretrex 201 and Forerunner 305) before going too far. Just how many caches are there in Guernsey? Is it worth buying the paid iPhone app and a different device?