Pocket Queries

EdSally

I'm tryhing to generate a pocket query to pass to GSAK to generate profile statistics. I have found 90 caches, 3 of which are now inactive. When I do a query I only get 87 found. Is there any way to get the missing 3 inactives into the found category so that I can see all 90. It appears that the inactives are no longer considered found. Tried checking "have found" and "is not active" result -no hits. Checking "have found" alone results 87 hits. Please help!

I'm tryhing to generate a pocket query to pass to GSAK to generate profile statistics. I have found 90 caches, 3 of which are now inactive. When I do a query I only get 87 found. Is there any way to get the missing 3 inactives into the found category so that I can see all 90. It appears that the inactives are no longer considered found. Tried checking "have found" and "is not active" result -no hits. Checking "have found" alone results 87 hits. Please help!

You can't do that with a standard pocket query.

You have to use the MY FINDS query, which is a special one that includes any archived caches.

You will find it on the PQ page - just scroll down and you will see it there, just click the button on the right.

You can only generate a MY FINDS query every 7 days.

Hope that helps

By the way, if you want to generate stats from GSAK and you have days to wait before you can run the MY FINDS query again, there is a way.

If all the caches you have found are in your GSAK database, just locate them, right click on them, and change the status to 'found'

You can then generate your stats, no need to wait for the MY FINDS query.

If your finds are not already in GSAK then you may still be able to generate stats without the 'special' query.

As you have alreay found out, the only caches excluded from a normal PQ are archived ones. So as long as you haven't found any caches that have subsequently been archived since you ran a query into GSAK, a normal PQ will update GSAK with all your finds since the last update.

(Hope this is making sense)

Finally, you may not want to run the MY FINDS query if you have just been out and done a couple of caches one evening, but if you are like me you might want to run your stats.

Once you have logged your finds, just go to the cache page and pick up the GPX file for that cache. You can then import that as a single cache into GSAK which will add it to the database and show it as found, ready to run your stats.

I do that sometimes if we go caching mid week and tend to leave the MY FINDS query for a Sunday evening as we tend to do most of our caching on a Sunday.

Thanks for the info I will use MY FINDS as you suggest. Will look into the "work arounds" as needed. One other thing - is there a limit in pocket queries as to miles. It reduced my miles to 500 miles from my input of 2000 mi and thereby eliminated my Florida finds. I'm just getting into this and I sure appreciate the help!!

Thanks for the info I will use MY FINDS as you suggest. Will look into the "work arounds" as needed. One other thing - is there a limit in pocket queries as to miles. It reduced my miles to 500 miles from my input of 2000 mi and thereby eliminated my Florida finds. I'm just getting into this and I sure appreciate the help!!

There is a 500 mile limit. You will need to break up your trip into segments of 500 or fewer miles. You may also come up against the 1000 cache limit for your PQ on a trip of that distance.

I usually set my route segments to start outside a large city and end just before the next big city. This keeps the number of caches in each segment to a reasonalbe number. If we are going to stop and cache in the city, I just run a PQ for the immediate area we will be in. We sometimes just skip the PQ in some areas and, if we decide to cache there, use our smartphones.

I run date based PQ's of my finds, and select the states I've cached in (excluding Confusion, which for some reason is not on the list...). The 500 mile limit doesn't come into it. With only 90 finds just select all the states you've cached in and don't specify a origin. (You still won't get the archived caches, but you will get all your active finds.)

I run date based PQ's of my finds
But why not use the "My Finds" and get all of the caches?

Maybe because you can only run it once a week? (well, every 6 days and 1 second...)

I have a "My Finds Update" if I need to update my found caches in GSAK and don't want to download individual GPX files. Found by me, in my home state, updated in the last 7 days, no origin. Currently returns about 400+ caches.

I've thought about writing a GM script that allows me to easily, in one click, to add a cache to a bookmark after I'm done logging it. That way I can easily generate a PQ from the bookmark for my update.

Edited by Chrysalides