My first day of Geocaching!

Delons

This morning I decided that I would try geocaching! Since I was new I don't have a GPS yet, so that was a little challenging! I found 2/5, but 1 was GONE... And I ended up hiding 2! Can't wait to search some more :(

Sounds good. You tried geocaching and had fun. Hiding 2 geocaches is fine even though you only have 2 finds. Just make sure in the event you decided you don't like this game that you archive them!

Oh, and don't listen to the next 5 people that are going to say that you should have used a GPS to hide them. Google maps works fine for urban caches.

Sounds good. You tried geocaching and had fun. Hiding 2 geocaches is fine even though you only have 2 finds. Just make sure in the event you decided you don't like this game that you archive them!

Oh, and don't listen to the next 5 people that are going to say that you should have used a GPS to hide them. Google maps works fine for urban caches.

Yea, I got a pretty exact location with Google Maps.

This morning I decided that I would try geocaching! Since I was new I don't have a GPS yet, so that was a little challenging! I found 2/5, but 1 was GONE... And I ended up hiding 2! Can't wait to search some more :(

Well, now we know Coldgears is psychic. Since the OP has no hides listed, I can't tell if they are urban, and I don't know what method he used to place them. But let me be the second to welcome you to the game, and the first to say, "You should have used a GPS to hide them." :D

edit to add: Ah! I missed the OP's followup post. My last comment stands, though...

"Pretty exact with Google Maps" isn't generally accepted as good enough, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Edited by hukilaulau

Well, now we know Coldgears is psychic.

At least I've posted enough people know me by name. That makes me feel welcome here.

It all depends on what part of the world your in

From the guidelines located here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

"You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions."

From the guidelines located here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

"You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions."

Meh, who cares. Guidlines aren't literal in meaning, you could interpret that as anything.

Meh, who cares. Guidlines aren't literal in meaning, you could interpret that as anything.

You could interpret as meaning you need to use a GPS for the cache coordinates. I bet the reviewer will interpret it as meaning a GPS is needed to place the cache.

Sorry, but Coldgears is giving you bad advice.

No, not at all. The area he lives in has great google maps to coordinates ratio. If people can find it without issue then how is it, "bad advice"?

I think the esteemed global moderator/7 year cache reviewer is speaking of placing caches without a GPS. The guideline seems pretty straightforward to me. And I have in fact seen caches archived when it became apparent no GPS was used to place them.

No, not at all. The area he lives in has great google maps to coordinates ratio. If people can find it without issue then how is it, "bad advice"?

I will repeat what has already been quoted:

I know that the intent is good. However, a hand held GPSr is necessary in finding good coordinates when hiding a cache. A car GPS is a poor choice unless it has a pedestrian or hiking mode. Otherwise, it just gets confused when you leave the road. Please read the guidelines and any help topics you can find. It will reduce the trial by error aspect when learning geocaching. Also, get The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching and read it from cover to cover. Finally please come to the forums with any questions you might have. Good luck and happy caching.

Delon Congrats on your first finds and welcome.

There's and old saying ,Even a blind squirrel can find a acorn every so often.

Depending on sat maps your like a blind squirrel to lessen frustration and to increase your fun a hand held GPS device is a must. For finding and placing.

I'll check them tommrow with a car GPS...

Well using a Car GPS is about as bad as Google maps.

SS

There are tons of people who use car GPS's, probably more than we'll ever know. I wouldn't doubt some regular contributors to this forum with hundreds of finds are doing it, and we don't even know. :D I gave up on discouraging people to do that though, after I did once, and some guy launched into a 10 paragraph rebuttal, and even called Garmin HQ to back up some of his points. I don't know exactly what his points were though, seeing as he was walking around the woods with 30 minutes of battery life with the thing in a ziplock bag if it was raining, and no navigation arrow. :(

I'm just trying to be funny here though Delons. If you have access to a car GPS, you can sort of pull it off, until you get a handheld unit. Oh, and welcome to Geocaching, great job finding the two caches today.

Even the car GPS units aren't great for placing caches. I'd make the argument that none of the "secondary" types of units are sufficient for hiding caches. Iphones, google maps, car gps, all will work to find a cache. All they really have to do is get you in the area. That's not good enough to post coords for other people to seek out.

Welcome to the sport, enjoy.

Because if he relies on your advice, he will be very surprised once his cache reviewer discovers he isn't using a GPS.

I could be mean and drop a dime to the CT Reviewer just to show you, but I have better things to do.

There is a cacher here that hid several geocaches with a car GPSr and there was never an issue with his caches. I don't think that car GPSrs are any less accurate than some of the cheaper handhelds when they are in pedestrian mode.

You must be kidding... I have a Garmin 60CSx. I use the GPS'r to get me near GZ using the Follow Road method. Once near GZ I switch to Off Road. It makes a hugh difference in the accuracy.

Another point that we should probably make here. In your cache Tree mail (GC2HGKN), you said you put candy corn in a plastic bag. This cache was probably trashed by the time you got back to your car. Squirrels, chipmunks and all sorts of other animials LOVE candy corn. It is a bad idea to put foodstuffs in an ammo can. Animals can smell it and will trash the area trying to get it. Your plastic bag won't last a minute with a squirrel sensing winter is on its way.

Another point that we should probably make here. In your cache Tree mail (GC2HGKN), you said you put candy corn in a plastic bag. This cache was probably trashed by the time you got back to your car. Squirrels, chipmunks and all sorts of other animials LOVE candy corn. It is a bad idea to put foodstuffs in an ammo can. Animals can smell it and will trash the area trying to get it. Your plastic bag won't last a minute with a squirrel sensing winter is on its way.

Well... I have a plastic bag, inside that is leaves, inside that is a tupperware container (the cache) then the candy corn is inside ANOTHER bag.

I use a car GPS, garmin nuvi 1300, it has pedestrian mode, and has been very useful, until yesterday, i went down a steep hill to grab a cache and hit some loose rocks, landed on my butt, and cracked the touch screen. (left backpack on top of the hill) I'm just glad I bought the accidental warranty at best-buy, I've only had it for 3 weeks. Next purchase, a hand held GPS. The battery life on my garmin is 4 hours, and it hasnt been a issue yet, but in the future I know it is going to be.

And to the guy placing caches without a GPS, what are you thinking when you put FOOD in a cache?! Common sense should tell you thats a bad idea...but then again common sense isn't to common.

I use a car GPS, garmin nuvi 1300, it has pedestrian mode, and has been very useful, until yesterday, i went down a steep hill to grab a cache and hit some loose rocks, landed on my butt, and cracked the touch screen. (left backpack on top of the hill) I'm just glad I bought the accidental warranty at best-buy, I've only had it for 3 weeks. Next purchase, a hand held GPS. The battery life on my garmin is 4 hours, and it hasnt been a issue yet, but in the future I know it is going to be.

And to the guy placing caches without a GPS, what are you thinking when you put FOOD in a cache?! Common sense should tell you thats a bad idea...but then again common sense isn't to common.

From what I hear, Nuvi's with pedestrian mode are fine. I mean Garmin wouldn't add the feature and call it Pedestrian mode, if they didn't expect people to get out of the car and walk with it, right? The only downfall (no pun intended) I see is the durability. And waterproofedness. Is the Nuvi 1300 waterproof? Are any of the Garmin models with pedestrian mode waterproof?

And I see you're not a premium member LoneGrangers, but I've heard they have a really nice GSAK macro for loading all the cache information for paperless caching into the Nuvi as POI's. I wouldn't know any of this though, as I roll with a Tom Tom. But I'm sure there's a macro for that too.

Hi, Delons, et al...I am a newbie also and found my first cache several days ago. It is kind of a rush, isn't it? Personally, I want to find at least 25 caches before I place any. But that's just me; that's why we have chocolate and vanilla. Anyway, I have found all of the people here to be very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. And nice, also! I am still reading up on the rules, protocol and guidelines. There is a lot more to this (geocaching) than one might think. But it sure is fun, isn't it!

A car GPS is a poor choice unless it has a pedestrian or hiking mode.

From what I hear, Nuvi's with pedestrian mode are fine. I mean Garmin wouldn't add the feature and call it Pedestrian mode, if they didn't expect people to get out of the car and walk with it, right?

I have a Garmin Nuvi "car" GPS and it does have a Pedestrian mode in it. So it *would* be accurate enough to hide a cache? I was hoping to get a cache going soon but now I'm not totally sure if I should go with it and just wait until I get a handheld GPS :-/.

I know it probably doesn't count, but I guess I'll throw out that using it I got coordinates over several different days at different times at the spot and each one when typed into Google Earth and MSN Live Maps brought in to the very immediate area, if not just a foot or two off.

Edited by DarthJustice

From what I hear, Nuvi's with pedestrian mode are fine. I mean Garmin wouldn't add the feature and call it Pedestrian mode, if they didn't expect people to get out of the car and walk with it, right? The only downfall (no pun intended) I see is the durability. And waterproofedness. Is the Nuvi 1300 waterproof? Are any of the Garmin models with pedestrian mode waterproof?

And I see you're not a premium member LoneGrangers, but I've heard they have a really nice GSAK macro for loading all the cache information for paperless caching into the Nuvi as POI's. I wouldn't know any of this though, as I roll with a Tom Tom. But I'm sure there's a macro for that too.

Mr. Yuck, No it sure isn't waterproof, after this weekend I am looking into hand helds. The oregon 450 looks amazing, but at the other end I like the Magellan Explorist GC. Price will probably be a factor in my decision lol. I enjoy going after the caches out in the wilderness a lot more than the urban ones, So although the nuvi would work great in either environment, in the future I know I will be going on overnight trips in search for caches, and the 4 hour battery life just wont cut it.

But thanks for the heads up on the Macro, My wife and I decided that if we can find 100 caches that this hobby will probably become a permanent one, and at that point I will upgrade our membership, and at the same time purchase a hand held.

There is a cacher here that hid several geocaches with a car GPSr and there was never an issue with his caches. I don't think that car GPSrs are any less accurate than some of the cheaper handhelds when they are in pedestrian mode.

You must be kidding... I have a Garmin 60CSx. I use the GPS'r to get me near GZ using the Follow Road method. Once near GZ I switch to Off Road. It makes a hugh difference in the accuracy.

No, I am not kidding. I did some tests comparing my Garmin Nuvi 255w with my Delorme PN-20. At most, they were only a few feet off from each other except one time I was under some trees between two buildings, and that was only 15 feet off. I can get bigger differences sometimes on the same unit by walking away from an area and approaching from another direction.

Your example with your Garmin 60CSx is wrong. It is not less accurate in Follow Roads mode. When you use that mode, the GPSr will lock your coordinates to the road. The receiver chip in the unit doesn't suddenly become less accurate just because you change modes. The GPSr simply interprets the information from the chip differently. Likewise, when you put a car GPSr into pedestrian mode, it will stop trying to lock you to the road and report the coordinates given directly from the chip. Now the chip in the nuvi probably isn't as accurate as what is in the 60CSx, but it is probably as accurate as any eTrex or Vista which has been used for years to hide geocaches without any problems.

If it were set to off-road mode, that an auto navigation system would work just fine for hiding a cache. Finding them with one is much harder than with a handheld (in my experience and opinion) , but they should give the same accuracy for hiding.

Because if he relies on your advice, he will be very surprised once his cache reviewer discovers he isn't using a GPS.

I could be mean and drop a dime to the CT Reviewer just to show you, but I have better things to do.

That's good that you didn't. I kinda realized after the third time of being, "Put in my place" that I was wrong. :santa:

Well... I have a plastic bag, inside that is leaves, inside that is a tupperware container (the cache) then the candy corn is inside ANOTHER bag.

Let me ask this....If you found candy corn, placed in a bag by an unknown person, in a tupperware, inside another bag, hanging in a tree, in someones yard, would you eat it? Would you want your children to eat it?

Let me ask this....If you found candy corn, placed in a bag by an unknown person, in a tupperware, inside another bag, hanging in a tree, in someones yard, would you eat it? Would you want your children to eat it?

It says DO NOT EAT on it.

I use a car GPS, garmin nuvi 1300, it has pedestrian mode, and has been very useful, until yesterday, i went down a steep hill to grab a cache and hit some loose rocks, landed on my butt, and cracked the touch screen.

And for comparison, my Garmin eTrex Legend came loose from it's handlebar mount on my bike, flew off, and hit the pavement at 15-20 mph. It was fine. My nuvi...well it stays in the car. But, yeah, in a pinch, I'd use a car GPS instead of nothing, but if I'm going too far off road, I'd prefer the ruggedness and waterproofness (is that a word?) of the etrex.

(good story & i'm glad you had the warranty..)

Then why is it there? :huh:

Then why is it there? :huh:

To absorb moisture?

I'm sorry, but I'm really confused. Why is the candy corn in the geocache with a "DO NOT EAT" sign on it? What's the point?