Does geocaching tend to be seasonal?

knowltonGeo

I placed a new cache a month before the weather turned colder and we got our first snow fall.

The first few weeks were pretty active, then it has been a few weeks since anyone has reported finding it.

Assuming it is still there and has not been muggled, what might be the reason for the drop-off in activity?

Is this trend typical with new caches? Will it likely pick-back up once the weather is warmer? Do many geocaches sit dormant during colder winter months?

Do you live in a low population density area? If so then probably the locals found it and now your depending on new locals and folks traveling through. Given that the days probably don't lend themselves to shorts and sunglasses the number of folks traveling through has probably decreased. It also might mean folks are forgetting to bring the shovels to uncover the cache.

Most of the caches I have placed have a strong first week when the locals find it. Then it will drop to a steady find every once in a while. Depending on the quality of the cache and the choice of location it can be once a month if I chose wrong or many times a week if I chose correctly.

There will be a natural lull in finding at the start of the school year when families are more concerned with fall sports at high school and getting their younger children acclimated to the daily responsibilities of finishing school work, dealing with new friends and teachers etc.

You didn't ask for it directly but since I am thinking you probably are wanting lots of finds let me offer these suggestions.

A percentage of cachers is going to find your cache just for the smilie. This will be the one or two a month log that any cache will get.

Then another group of cachers, those that have gotten over the "numbers matter" phase of the caching life will actually look at a cache page before seeking. They are looking for something to find outside of the cache. These are the people who want to see a nice view, interesting history, unusual something or other, or just a well done camo job. This is where you can influence the number of visits to your cache.

A well done cache page will tell me why I want to visit your cache. This is where I decide if I am visiting your cache or another one down the road. Is your cache on a nice walking trail? Perhaps there is a good place to see birds nearby that is often overlooked? By looking at your cache page I think that you found a telephone pole that didn't have a cache near it and dropped a tape covered medicine vial. Not something I would go out of my way to find. What sets your cache apart from all the other caches in the area?

One last note, your hint is much to long IMHO. I would put "Base of pole" Everything else you have in the hint should go in the body of the cache page.

Thanks for placing a cache and participating in both sides of the game.

I placed a new cache a month before the weather turned colder and we got our first snow fall.

The first few weeks were pretty active, then it has been a few weeks since anyone has reported finding it.

Assuming it is still there and has not been muggled, what might be the reason for the drop-off in activity?

Is this trend typical with new caches? Will it likely pick-back up once the weather is warmer? Do many geocaches sit dormant during colder winter months?

it depends on the local cachers, some are more serious then others I cache everyday regardless of the weather.

Scubasonic

So the actual question is:

"Does geocaching tend to be seasonal?"

And the answer is Yes. Caching season begins January 1st and ends December 31st. :(

Some of my caches have sat for months before even being found for the first time, and some have had the initial flurry of finders and then sat dormant for a while before being found again. It's all up to the finders as to what types they are looking for or if your cache falls into their plans for the day.

That's not bad. My cache has been out for 2 months and only 6 finds.

How about a 5 year old cache that has only gotten 27 log entries?? Godspeak, GCMF3K

Or this one.... The Devil Made Me Do It, GCGG7W. Placed in 2003 and NEVER found yet. Granted it does take technical climbing equipment to get to it. :(

BTW... the hike to this one is 1.5 miles and 19% grade. A constant climb and a royal pain.

Edited by ngrrfan

:: listening ::

good stuff!

In addition to the stuff already mentioned... regardless of what type of container or location...

If you want to have year round finders, it helps to design the whole cache to be findable year round!

Summer is usually easy... snow is gone, the waters of Spring have subsided, the sun is out and temps are for the most part pleasant (for some). Fall can also be a great season to find caches, but eventually the weather changes toward Winter conditions... some find the transition period something worth avoiding... simply because it often requires carrying more clothing options, a means of carrying them etc. Winter itself is great, not even counting the trail in the snow up to the cache... however there are many things to consider... is it in a location that can be accessed in winter? not just getting to GZ, but having a chance to find it... frozen in, buried in snow and so forth... did you put it at the bottom of an un-noticed avalanche chute? I know of a few in this area... don't think that many would appreciate that, but many might not notice it until too late... I might consider a different D/T rating for the winter months as well. A summer 1/1 could become a 5/5 in a blizzard... maybe higher... I don't want to be FTF on a missing cacher... especially in a blizzard or avalanche... snowmobilers are bad enough. Spring is melt time, creeks and rivers rise, caches ill planned wash away, or become inaccessible (who knew the dry creek wouldn't always be dry).. sometimes after you cross through it... before you try to return the same way. Not to mention it's just wet in general... all those wet logs one reads about... some simply get rained on while signing... others leaked into.

So... one will get what one sows... and NO I don't think that every cache has to be year round or executed perfectly all the time... for those that are not... you can use cache page description and attributes to post appropriate warnings etc... from thorns to PI to avalanches... some places are not Winter friendly at all...

you can disable it for the season if it isn't... etc. The tools are there, if the will is to use them... and remember most of us are here for fun as much as anything, often more... I don't appreciate a life and death struggle, or to have to be called out for someone else's effort to survive. Caring is about all it takes... thinking the rest of it.

Thanks for starting up the path by seeking input and advice...

Doug 7rxc

Around here it's a year round sport, then again we don't get as much snow as you folks in Utah. A big storm for us is 2 feet. I'd say the slowest season is July and August, then it may slow down somewhat in the winter if there is a lot of snow on the ground. If there is little or now snow then winter is a popular time for geocaching in the northeast.

I'd say the sudden drop off is more due to the fact that most of the locals already found it. After that the finders will be new geocachers or people passing through. I have caches that are found once or twice a year now, but when they were first hidden they received regular finds for the first few weeks.

Here are some other suggestions:

After 800 finds, I get bored with finding the same old cache in the same old place. Looks like people really enjoyed your hide, so there was something out of the ordinary with it. See if you can capitalize on this in your cache description without giving it away. Mention that you take pride in the location and quality of your caches, if applicable.

Don't underestimate the importance of your cache being found in a PQ. Set some attributes that people will search for in their PQs. I often look for: takes under an hour, scenic view, dogs allowed, parking nearby, less than 1km walk, kid friendly, can be found in winter, and contains TBs (see below).

Personally, I look for regulars much more often than smaller sizes. I like to trade swag (as do kids), and my wife absolutely hates micros in the woods. Also, a regular is more likely to contain TBs, which I also search for.

I am much more likely to go after a cache if there are other interesting (to me) caches within walking distance. Perhaps you could place several others nearby.

Here in Central Australia, yes, it is pretty seasonal. Finds on local caches occur mainly during april-october, the cooler months. Looking at my stats (a lowly 150 finds only), they occur over that period as well. Here it is regularly 110 in summer with lots of poisonous snakes and spiders flurishing during summer. Sticking a hand in a dark hole isn't too appealing; same goes for walking through tall grass. It is very remote here, and hikes or travel on long deserted dirt roads mainly happens during our winter. Makes for a long summer here when I only need a few long difficult hikes to get the remaining caches within 100km.

yep, definitely seasonal here. and it depends on which season and where the cache is specifically.

I have an earthcache that will be quite a challenge to do in the winter and spring when the water is up. only way to reach the site at that time is with a boat. but then again, during the heat of the summer is a good time for this one. water for cooling off, the route is hikeable, etc.

but for caches in most places here, summer is most unpleasant with the heat and humidity.

I placed a puzzle and it got an initial "flurry" of finders every couple of weeks, but nobody since January.

I just placed a multi this week and it has yet to get a FTF, but the weather has been sour.

I personally tend to be more inactive in the winter time. But that's just me being lazy. Some of my best experiences was in bad weather, so there really is no excuse not to go :rolleyes:

I've been looking so forward to cooler temperatures and a frosty or two to kill off the ticks.

Now that has happened and I am ready to pick up where I left off, getting some more hikes in.

What I didn't think about was that now it gets dark so much earlier. No more going out after work or after dinner.

I guess the different seasons are a double edged sword.