present for a avid snowmobiler

I have a garmin 60csx gps and would like to give my son-inlaw a gps for his snowmobile. What's a good choice for sledding, I don't know that much about what would work in his case, any hints/ suggestions ? I like mine but would it handle the abuse a "kid " in his 20's would put it through going cross country and hill jumping and what not?

Don

Are you talking about clamping a GPSr onto the snowmobile so it can be viewed while riding? Or just carrying one on your pocket so you can pull it out for reference whenever needed?

I carry my Garmin Vista Cx in an inside coat pocket while snowmobiling and it works great. If left turned on it will still get a decent signal inside my coat and at the end of the trip I'll have a nice track log of the trip. Your 60CSx should work equally well, or for that matter most any outdoor rated unit.

Are you talking about clamping a GPSr onto the snowmobile so it can be viewed while riding? Or just carrying one on your pocket so you can pull it out for reference whenever needed?

I carry my Garmin Vista Cx in an inside coat pocket while snowmobiling and it works great. If left turned on it will still get a decent signal inside my coat and at the end of the trip I'll have a nice track log of the trip. Your 60CSx should work equally well, or for that matter most any outdoor rated unit.

he has "hinted' that he likes mine but doesn't think it's screen is big enough. wants a mounted unit with a compass,etc.

Don

Hint or no hint, he probably should stick with one like yours or a 76 CSx(same GPS insides as yours, just different looks outside), or go with one of the new 62 or 78 series (S models, can add free maps later).Especially if he wants to mount it on his sled. However, the screens are the same size as yours.

The newer ones that have slightly larger (touch) screens are much more difficult to see outside, especially when in a mount, because the user cant tilt and turn the unit to get it in a different light to view it.

If he definitely chooses to mount it on the machine, I would definitely recommend a "Ram" brand mount. Sturdy and good.

All the above being said, I think that carrying the GPS in a interior jacket pocket is a better choice. I've mapped several thousand miles of trails, using BOTH methods and IMHO "jacket" is better when snowmobiling. In summer, on ATV or bike, exterior mounting is fine.

Why?......

bulky snowmobile gloves and small buttons....not so good combination

batteries last longer when warmer

in most cases the rider must stop to read the screen anyway due to vibration and glare (at least here in Colorado) (and take gloves off to push buttons)

The newer touchscreen models are almost totally worthless when in a fixed mount outside in bright sunny glare.(especially with sunglasses or goggles on)

All of the above is strictly my opinion based on actual experiences and using my Oregon 550, my 76CSx, and my 78S.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Given some disturbing hiccups with the 62 series and it's handling of waypoints and the disappearance of same. I would go with the 60CSX, that venerable workhorse simply gets the job done.

My assumption is that your family member might be in the boonies and marking waypoints to aid on the return trip.

The 60CSX will not belch them. The 62 belches and they are gone. ( related post about 7 days ago ) Granted map and compass is the outdoors persons true and faithful friend, however, the surge in reliance upon technology can back-fire. The Garmin 62 belches and back-fires. At this time I would trust my safety to map and compass with the 60CSX as a trusted reserve partner.

Edited by humboldt flier

The Garmin Zumo's have been designed for motorcycle use, but I wonder how well one would transplant onto a snowmobile?

The benefit there is, they have the bluetooth feature so they could communicate to the rider via an earpiece. This is all only useful if the Zumo's can be loaded with TOPO maps, and aren't program locked for road usage..

If you're looking for something serious that a snowmobiler can use safely while riding then you're going to have to consider something with a decent screen size - probably 5" or bigger. Something like a Garmin GPSMAP 3205 or Lowrance HDS-5 Baja come to mind.

I see lots of guys with one hand on the handle bars, the other hand on a small GPS and the rider totally focused on looking at the GPS. An accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

On the other hand if you're looking for a GPS for emergencies then the Garmin 60's or 76's would be a good choice. They will operate down to -30C without any problems. Just make sure you have a good solid lanyard so it doesn't get lost.

Hope these tips are helpful to you.