New tool for plotting .1 mile circles around caches

korey99

Hey all-

For quite some time I've been fooling around with trying to find an easy way to draw .1 mile circles around each cache on a map, so that when I'm trying to place a cache I can quickly check for off-limits areas.

I wasn't satisfied with the processes out there, so I wrote my own. I figured I might as well share it in case anyone else could find it useful.

It's a web application that uses a Google Map. You need to create a GPX file (using a pocket query, GSAK, etc.) and paste the data into a text box, like you can with GPS Visualizer. My app is built for a single purpose, though, so there aren't many options to worry about.

I place the app at the link below. I welcome any feedback you have.

Geocache Radius Map

Thanks,

Korey

Thanks! I only dabble in web development, but jquery and the google maps API are a pleasure to work with!

It was the initial link, not the app. I tried the link again and it worked this time, must have been a hiccup with the service provider.

Hey, kudos on the app (tableless and XML-strict). I notice these things. :(

You can actually draw multiple circles on a map with GPS Visualizer too. Just convert your file (any kind of file) to plain text (using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert), open it in Excel, add a new column called "circle_radius," fill it with distances, and send the file back through GPS Visualizer's map form.

More info here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/examples/range_rings.html