Breast Cancer Awareness Geocoin

Spinneyman

On February 26, 2004 my mom died from breast cancer and it took me until 2008 before I finally was ready to make a difference in the hunt for a cure. In 2010, my daughter, a graphic designer, thought it would be great to combine my passion for walking for a cure (Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure) and geocaching which I do while performing my training walks and that was to design a geocoin that could be sold to benefit breast cancer research. With that in mind, she designed a beautiful 1.75", trackable coin that I am selling to sponsor my walks.

For 2011, I have committed to walking in all 15 SGK 3-day, 60 mile walks for a total of 900 miles over 15 weekends between mid-July and mid-November 2011. The coins are, both in a gold and silver metal finish, with the tracking number on the side to allow full usage of the front and back. I already had 100 made, 50 each of gold and silver of which 15 have been set aside as I plan to place on in each city I walk in with the intent of 15 coins passing from cache to cache around the US.

(As a newbie, I'm not sure how to add photos as they require, but they can be seen at: http://www.walkingforacure.info/10.html or at my Facebook site "900 Miles Closer to a Cure".

The price I'm asking for is $25 which includes all shipping and handling costs. I know this is a high cost compared to most geocoins, but all money, over the cost of the coin (cost is about 20%), is going to Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure. My website for what I'm doing and why can be found at www.WalkingForACure.info from where you can order the coin. I also have a matching 1" pin that can also be purchased on the website.

Thank you for your consideration in making a difference for finding a cure for this deadly disease.

Walking_Them_All@WalkingForACure.info

Nice looking coin but a little too pricey for me even for a good cause. My opinion would be take less of a cut and sell more coins but it is your coin and your mission. I wish you well. We have a geocaching friend who was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Been looking for a nice coin to give her, maybe I will reconsider the price.

This is an incredible commitment, and I love what you are doing with the coins. I've always been a bit wary of any fundraiding coins that have only a dollar or so going to the cause, it's always made me feel like it's a gimmick just to help sell them. Clearly you are aiming at actually raising some serious funds with these coins. I have to applaud that. email sent. I like the pins too.

_wsb_462x330_SGK_2011_Geocoin_1.jpg

Am I missing something here, is there really nothing to be said about this coin?? Did this one just get missed in the night??

If you are referring to the icon that you pay for when you mint the coin, unfortunately, the answer is no. As this is strictly being minted as a fundraiser, i.e., all money about cost goes to Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure, I tried to save some money on the coins so more could go to SGK.

I'd just like to add that even though Jim doesn't mention it in his info about the coin, it comes packaged very nicely- not just in a coinflip. I wasn't expecting that, so was impressed when I opened my coin and saw the extra effort that went into the packaging of the coin. He also was great about communicating with me and very personable in the communications, all for the sale of one geocoin. That made a positive impression on me as well, because it was good customer service, even in the face of a large fund-raising task, to which my purchase was contributing only a small amount.

I'd just like to add that even though Jim doesn't mention it in his info about the coin, it comes packaged very nicely- not just in a coinflip. I wasn't expecting that, so was impressed when I opened my coin and saw the extra effort that went into the packaging of the coin. He also was great about communicating with me and very personable in the communications, all for the sale of one geocoin. That made a positive impression on me as well, because it was good customer service, even in the face of a large fund-raising task, to which my purchase was contributing only a small amount.

Thank you very much. I'll pass this on to my daughter as she was the one who designed the coin, pin and the really sweet box to send it in. The cost was minimal as it was homemade and does make a nice presentation as a simple way of saying, "Thanks!" I'm pleased that you like it!

I think people need to look at this as a donation to the Cure and not a $25 coin. Make a $25 donation and receive a coin.

Thanks to the Atwell Familly as their comment is a good way of looking at it. It does cost more than a normal geocoin, but it really is a donation towards making a difference in finding a cure for breast cancer. Thanks again for all the support.

To those that are reading this discussion, thanks for those that have contacted me as that means a lot for what we are trying to accomplish. Also, just to show what can be done by a little word of mouth, a Yahoo group in PA, posted my story on their site and within 24 hours I sold 12 coins and 7 pins! This was fantastic and demonstrates where I hoping to get with this coin, i.e., through the word of mouth on various forums and the like, just letting people know how a small donation, when combined with as many as we can get the word out to, can really add up and make a significant difference to this cause. So if you know of other forums that you can get my story to, that would be greatly appreciated. As I tell many, it's not about me or my selling of the coin, but the money generated and making a difference. Again, my thanks to those that have responded already. :-)

Spinneyman, I am very sorry to hear about your lost. I too lost my mom to breast cancer in Dec 2006. Ever since she was diagnosed we have been very active with anything to do with Breast Cancer. And when she passed, my interest became more active. I actually made a cache that I dedicated to my mom called "Awareness in Wharton" I even went as far as getting a tattoo on my ankle for her. Its the ribbon with a rose wrapping around it. Her name was Rose so I found it fitting. I have to say I really like the coin. Its beautiful! I would actually be interested in purchasing one maybe with in the next few weeks. I love how your donating some of the proceeds to Susan G Komen. I think that this is a wonderful way to remember your mom! I will definitely be in touch about purchasing a coin!

On February 26, 2004 my mom died from breast cancer and it took me until 2008 before I finally was ready to make a difference in the hunt for a cure. In 2010, my daughter, a graphic designer, thought it would be great to combine my passion for walking for a cure (Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure) and geocaching which I do while performing my training walks and that was to design a geocoin that could be sold to benefit breast cancer research. With that in mind, she designed a beautiful 1.75", trackable coin that I am selling to sponsor my walks.

For 2011, I have committed to walking in all 15 SGK 3-day, 60 mile walks for a total of 900 miles over 15 weekends between mid-July and mid-November 2011. The coins are, both in a gold and silver metal finish, with the tracking number on the side to allow full usage of the front and back. I already had 100 made, 50 each of gold and silver of which 15 have been set aside as I plan to place on in each city I walk in with the intent of 15 coins passing from cache to cache around the US.

(As a newbie, I'm not sure how to add photos as they require, but they can be seen at: http://www.walkingforacure.info/10.html or at my Facebook site "900 Miles Closer to a Cure".

The price I'm asking for is $25 which includes all shipping and handling costs. I know this is a high cost compared to most geocoins, but all money, over the cost of the coin (cost is about 20%), is going to Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure. My website for what I'm doing and why can be found at www.WalkingForACure.info from where you can order the coin. I also have a matching 1" pin that can also be purchased on the website.

Thank you for your consideration in making a difference for finding a cure for this deadly disease.

Walking_Them_All@WalkingForACure.info

I received your coin today in a beautiful package with a personal thank you note; I appreciate the challenge you have set for yourself it will not be easy. But then again you have endured worse with your lost, your commitment and the memories will drive you to succeed this I am sure of.

Cancer has no boundaries; it does not follow any conventional rules and can inflict anyone, I wish you the greatest success in raising the funds to beat breast cancer, all cancers.

Stay well my friend, stay well.

I have decided to go ahead and "donate" to this cause. We have a friend that we are hosting a benefit event for on December 12th. She has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer and the geocaching community is coming together to raise money to help her and her family out during the holiday season. We hope to have this coin to be able to present to her at the event. Thanks for making this coin and for your efforts. Sorry to hear about your mother.

I wanted to let all who have made a difference in finding a cure for breast cancer through the purchase of one of my breast cancer awareness coins, that this past week I deposited $1025 into my Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure account. All money in that account goes directly to Susan G. Komen. The success of this coin has been quite unexpected as nearly 70 have been sold in less than two months! In fact, I'm now considering a second order of coins to further my fundraising.

With this in mind, and Christmas just around the corner, please consider purchasing a coin ($25), a pin ($10) or a set ($30) as either a present for someone else or for yourself. Again, all money from the sales, minus the cost of the coin and shipping (included in the cost), goes directly to Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure (www.the3day.org). The cost of the coin and shipping is roughly 20% of your cost. Payment can be made through PayPal (hillmanj@att.net or hillmann@alumni.calpoly.edu) or by check.

For those wanting more information on my story on why I'm raising money for breast cancer research and support, you can go to my website at www.WalkingForACure.org. The website also has two pages, one with photos of the silver and gold coins and one for the silver and gold pins.

Again, my thanks to all who have already contributed as this not only means a lot to me for your support, but also to the many affected by breast cancer who will be also supported through your contribution.

I walked the Susan G Komen 3 day this year in Dallas and WOW what an experience. I love this coin and sent an email about it. Totally going to help you get to all of the events this year. I can't imagine the commitment it will take but what a great year of life changing events! Congrats on thinking of this wonderful way to bring your two loves together!

I don't know what changed, but this coin now has a nice custom icon on geocaching.com. That might very well increase the appeal of this coin to potential buyers.

Custom icon or not, this still a sweet coin.

A fellow cacher, with a heart for the cause, paid for the custom icon, so that people who purchased the coin would also have the icon. A very nice gesture on his part for which I'm grateful. Now it's time to hope for sales!!

I walked the Susan G Komen 3 day this year in Dallas and WOW what an experience. I love this coin and sent an email about it. Totally going to help you get to all of the events this year. I can't imagine the commitment it will take but what a great year of life changing events! Congrats on thinking of this wonderful way to bring your two loves together!

Thank you so very much for your support. It is most appreciated.

Breast Cancer Awareness Geocoin Fundraising Update:

To everyone who has been so generous with their purchase of my breast cancer awareness coin and also for the very kind words on the coin, the packaging and most importantly the words of support for my dream to walk in all 14 3-day events, THANK YOU! Through your purchases, over $2500 net has been deposited in my Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure account. That has exceed all my expectations for which I'm most grateful.

For those not familiar with either my cause or the coin, please go to www.WalkingForACure.info and read about what I'm doing and why, then checkout the Fundraiser tab to see how you can support this cause through the purchase of my trackable geocoin and/or matching pin.

How much for the coin? $25. That's a lot for a coin, but $20 of every coin sold goes directly to Susan G. Komen where it is used to fund grants for research, education and support of those affected by breast cancer. So consider the purchase as a fundraiser donation where you get a great coin!

Please help make a difference to end breast cancer through your purchase of a coin ($25), a pin ($10) or a set ($30). To walk in all 14 3-day, 60 mile events this year, I need to raise $32,200. To date, I have raised over $15,000, with nearly 7 walks funded. I would be very grateful not for myself, but for those you will help. I would simply ask that you tell others about what is being attempted and the good that can be accomplished. Finally, for those that want to do even more, please go to www.900MilesCloserToACure.org. Thank You! :-)