GPS for the hikers?

I don't know what to suggest since you don't have a computer! Gotta ask how you manage... :D

I use a Garmin Map 60CSx with topo maps on it. I've not been on a trail yet that wasn't on my mapping!

Whatever you decide to use, make sure you can mark waypoints on it so you can mark where you parked your vehicle and that it has tracking on it.

I turn my tracking off while I'm driving but set it to on when I park so that no matter how windy and twisty the trail I have a 'breadcrumb trail' of my way back to my vehicle.

I don't believe that the Geomate Jr does any of those things. If I'm wrong someone will be along momentarily to correct me :D AFAIK it's a junior version of a GPS that comes preloaded with easy traditional caches and not much else.

Also, if you're starting to go off the beaten path, make sure you pack emergency supplies and that someone knows where you've gone and when you'll be back.

I use my BlackBerry for caching. I'm thinking of getting a stand alone GPS and was leaning towards GeoMate Jr to supplement my BlackBerry.

However I want to start getting into more wilderness caching/hiking/camping.

Which GPS are you guys using? Any advice? I've never owned a handhelp nor do I have a computer.

Here's a couple of useful resources:

Guide to Buying a GPS

GPS Reviews

Although I must admit, it's hard to imagine owning a GPS without a computer.....how in the world did you post your message on the Forums :D

I think you'll find the Geomate Jr. a bit underpowered for hiking and backpacking.

I have a Garmin Colorado 400t (discontinued model), but I've been leaning towards upgrading to a Delorme PN-60, merely for the SPOT capabilities that it offers.

Keep in mind, that most designated Wilderness Areas in the U.S. require approval from the local NFS Office, so chances are you won't find bunches of caches in the backcountry (although there are a few).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies! I'll look into those devices and check out the links!

I use my BlackBerry (Bolt browser) to post on the forums and write my logs (and upload pics) It's great for that. The app I use to geocache works well.

But I'd like to be able to load trail maps and import caches into a unit. I got lost a few times in a preserve and my BlackBerry didn't help too much to get out. Plus it dies within 3 hours or so if not charged.

Thanks for the tips!

One more question regarding the these advanced GPSrs and computers:

Could I use the library's computer to load maps, routes and caches? Or do I have to install software? My library allows software to be installed but I always think they may block that, like every other library.

Can an Apple computer be used with these GPSs?

Thanks!

One more question regarding the these advanced GPSrs and computers:

Could I use the library's computer to load maps, routes and caches? Or do I have to install software? My library allows software to be installed but I always think they may block that, like every other library.

Can an Apple computer be used with these GPSs?

Thanks!

If your library allows installation of mapping software, I'd say fine, but all the libraries in my area have the library computers pretty well locked down. Most mapping software I've worked with requires an installation process that can take several minutes, which permanently installs the GUI software on the computer hard drive. I would think that most mapping software out these days would have Mac support, but it would be a good idea to check on the mfg website to make sure they support it first.

Your GPSr when plugged in to a computer will/can be just another portable hard drive, like a memory stick.

Personally I'm now running a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and use a Mac to load the .gpx files on to it.

Dead simple, I just drag and drop the files on to the GPSr as I would on to a memory stick.

The Garmin then get all the info about the caches, positions, descriptions, hints and even previous logs.

Whichever way you go, enjoy yourself!

Very difficult to own a handheld GPS without a computer. The true functionality of the GPS shines when used with a computer because you can transfer data back and forth between them. That's the real reason I own a computer at all - peripherals. If I only wanted internet, then a smartphone would do the job. But I am a budding amateur photographer, I transfer GPS data from 3 different receivers, I have a body fat scale that communicates with my PC via ANT+, etc, etc.

At any rate, if you don't need a computer for much, I'd just get an inexpensive netbook, although I'd ensure I at least bought an external dvd drive with it (if it didn't come with an internal one) because there's still a fair bit of software that comes on discs.

You can use a mac with a GPS, but your software options will be different than for a PC. Some options won't exist for a Mac. For example: for Garmin GPSes that support Custom Mapping, Topofusion is the best way to get imagery loaded onto the GPS...but TF is a Windows-only program. But you can still use free maps from gpsfiledepot.com with a Mac (at least the ones with a Mac installer) and you can still do all the .gpx file transfers you want on a Mac.

Though since you already use your BB for internet, you might want to look into tethering the computer to the BB for internet access so you don't have to deal with additional access costs. Make sure your model of BB even supports it.

I don't think you'll be very successful trying to use a library machine. Even if you ONLY load .gpx files between the GPS and a flash drive, there still need to be drivers installed for the GPS to be recognized as a mass storage device. You will need admin access to a machine at least for the initial installs.