Giving out the Number

Morseman

It appears that I have two TBs that I've actually not got. How did this happen? Well, someone who found them put the numbers out as part of their report of finding them.

Now, I shall delete my logs and ensure that the TBs are back where they belong, but what if I wanted to put them somewhere where they are not?

Please, people, don't put the TB number off the dog tags into your reports. It allows people, perhaps less friendly than me, to do things that are not really a good thing.

--... ...--

Morseman

icon_rolleyes.gif Sometimes folks put bug tracking numbers into their cache log entries. Anyone reading one of those cache log entries could use the tracking number to grab a bug, even though they don't posess it. This is not good...

Morseman grabbed two bugs he's never actually laid hands on because their tracking numbers had been typed into logs for caches he owns. Being a decent bloke, he replaced the bugs in the caches they came from, and wiped out the log entries containing the tracking numbers. Other folk might not have been so kind...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

icon_rolleyes.gif Sometimes folks put bug tracking numbers into their cache log entries. Anyone reading one of those cache log entries could use the tracking number to grab a bug, even though they don't posess it. This is not good...

Morseman grabbed two bugs he's never actually laid hands on because their tracking numbers had been typed into logs for caches he owns. Being a decent bloke, he replaced the bugs in the caches they came from, and wiped out the log entries containing the tracking numbers. Other folk might not have been so kind...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

Umm - just having the bug numbers announced in a log wouldn't cause those bugs to be "grabbed" by the owner of the cache.

Afaik, in order to "grab" a bug and have it in your inventory, you have to go to the travel bug page and enter the tag number yourself. It would be hard to accidentally do that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... lemme read the logs for his cache again.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

i think i understand, Morseman seen some numbers listed somewhere and "grabed" the bugs to prove a point. if someone wanted to be a prick or just was that um... dumb? they could go around "stealing" all the bugs that have their numbers listed in "public".

but was the log a physical log (on paper) or was it on a cache page log (online)?

if it was on paper why didnt he just scratch them out? or if its in a page log why doesnt he just email the cache owner and have them delete the entry?.... unless he was trying that and they werent listening.... icon_confused.gif

whack.gif

i think i understand, Morseman seen some numbers listed somewhere and "grabed" the bugs to prove a point. if someone wanted to be a prick or just was that um... dumb? they could go around "stealing" all the bugs that have their numbers listed in "public".

but was the log a physical log (on paper) or was it on a cache page log (online)?

if it was on paper why didnt he just scratch them out? or if its in a page log why doesnt he just email the cache owner and have them delete the entry?.... unless he was trying that and they werent listening.... icon_confused.gif

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif

No... what happend (how I understand it) is that some one found the TB number and "Placed" the bug in Morseman's cache, with out really doing it.

He then "grabed" the bug and put it back where the bug really was.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif

No... what happend (how I understand it) is that some one found the TB number and "Placed" the bug in Morseman's cache, with out really doing it.

He then "grabed" the bug and put it back where the bug really was.