Ipod Touch

I know that you can use a i phone for geocaching, was wondering if you can use a Ipod Touch because I don't want to pay that much money for a phone. I have a Garmin 60 csx and would like to have a paperless unit for when im walking around and can find caches on the go.

thanks in advance

The iPod touch does not have a GPS built in. You do have options though, like adding a Magellan Toughcase to it. For geocaching apps, well the Official Geocaching App won't work well once you leave WiFi coverage but I'm pretty sure there's workarounds or other software you could use.

Here's a handy link to some GPS options for iPod Touch

We cache with a 60 CSx and iPOD Touch for paperless caching. There's a geocaching app for the Touch; we run pocket queries and save them on the Touch. Only thing is the app does not seem to have an off-line search feature, so you need to scroll through the query to find your cache. Another app called Geocache Viewer lets you sort by cache name, but its a little fussier getting the caches loaded onto the iPod.

Hello, we have a Colorado 300 and we us our iPod Touch for combine geocaching. When we went on vacation this summer in the Gaspe Quebec it was great having both. I downloaded all my Quebec PQ's onto both. After we found the cache I would log my find on the iPod. Click Save&Send and it stores the log until you have a WiFi connection. When we got WiFi I just clicked on the Send All and all our cache logs were sent. I use the 2 all the time. Saves spending hours of remembering the cache and then logging all the finds of the day.

Hello, we have a Colorado 300 and we us our iPod Touch for combine geocaching. When we went on vacation this summer in the Gaspe Quebec it was great having both. I downloaded all my Quebec PQ's onto both. After we found the cache I would log my find on the iPod. Click Save&Send and it stores the log until you have a WiFi connection. When we got WiFi I just clicked on the Send All and all our cache logs were sent. I use the 2 all the time. Saves spending hours of remembering the cache and then logging all the finds of the day.

What is the name of app you are referring to in your post?

I guess I should say, how is the iphone better then the ipod touch? thanks

With the iPhone, because you have the 3G connection, you can be in the woods, do a search for geocaches with the app, and then click "Navigate to..." and head right for the cache. No other tools necessary. Though, if you get into the woods and there is no 3G, you're in trouble.

I guess I should say, how is the iphone better then the ipod touch? thanks

It has a built in GPS (3GS/4), and more memory for applications than the iPod series has - note I'm talking application memory, not storage space. The cellular radio, bluetooth profiles also.

application memory? I have a 32GB iPod Touch and I can fill it with apps if I want. Right now, I have about 1GB of apps (iBird Pro is a big app). the memory can be used however you like, and now that you can group apps into folders, there's more screen real estate for app icons (used to be the limiting factor for how many apps you had).

you can manage without 3G, but you do need an external GPS chip for the iPod. I'd also suggest the Toughcase for this, since it has an additional battery, as well, to handle the additional power demands of the GPS. I only wish the toughcase was compatible with my xm skydock for charging in the car.

I know that you can use a i phone for geocaching, was wondering if you can use a Ipod Touch because I don't want to pay that much money for a phone. I have a Garmin 60 csx and would like to have a paperless unit for when im walking around and can find caches on the go.

My wife uses a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, and her iPod Touch (3rd Generation) for geocaching. We have the Groundspeak Geocaching iPhone/iPod Touch app, but we seldom use it. We tend to use the "Geocaching with Geosphere" app much more. Geosphere is much like having GSAK on your iPod Touch/iPhone. You can't easily use all the features on an iPod Touch, but the basic paperless caching features are great. What she tends to do is to set her current location to that of the cache we are seeking, then when we move a significant distance, she will change her current location again. What I would do was I would set the app to sort on distance from my current target, so that the app would always show caches sorted on distance from the one I currently have set as target. With the iPhone, you just set it to sort on distance from current location, and it shows you the closest caches to where you are now. Also with the iPhone, the navigation screen is handy for getting to the cache, as well as using the satellite images if you have a data connection.

Now, I can tell you that if you pair an iPod Touch with a Verizon MiFi it is a great combination, as you have the data connectivity on the go, so you can easily download updated data, and it is a bit cheaper than getting an iPhone. You can get the 64GB 4thGeneration iPod Touch for the same price (or less) than a 32GB iPhone 4, but the iPod comes without the 2 year contract with AT&T. You can then get your MiFi and it's data contract is a good bit cheaper than the monthly contract with AT&T as well. I know several people who have gone this route, although none of them are geocachers, so I can't verify how it will work as a full GPSr replacement.

It has a built in GPS (3GS/4), and more memory for applications than the iPod series has - note I'm talking application memory, not storage space. The cellular radio, bluetooth profiles also.

application memory? I have a 32GB iPod Touch and I can fill it with apps if I want. Right now, I have about 1GB of apps (iBird Pro is a big app). the memory can be used however you like, and now that you can group apps into folders, there's more screen real estate for app icons (used to be the limiting factor for how many apps you had).

I believe you are confusing the two types of memory that they are trying to clarify.

the 1GB of applications you speak of it the storage memory, much like the hard disk space in your computer. The application memory is ore like the RAM in your computer, and it is the resource that the running applications must share.

My old iPhone 3G had 16GB of storage, but I believe it only has 128MB of application memory (RAM for running applications).

My iPod Touch 3rd generation has 64GB of storage, but has 256MB of application memory.

My iPhone 4 has 32GB of storage, but has 512MB of application memory.

You see as each newer revision of hardware was released, it got more RAM for running applications, so that helps to explain why the newer hardware can multi-task better than the slightly older hardware.

Take a look here

The 32GB is like the hard disk on your computer. You still have to load programs into RAM to use them, and no, you cannot load all 32GB into the CPU/RAM at once.

The iPhone 4 for example has 512MB of RAM which is why it can handle multitasking and iOS4 more gracefully.

Take a look here

The 32GB is like the hard disk on your computer. You still have to load programs into RAM to use them, and no, you cannot load all 32GB into the CPU/RAM at once.

The iPhone 4 for example has 512MB of RAM which is why it can handle multitasking and iOS4 more gracefully.

if you meant RAM, then say RAM.

Take a look here

if you meant RAM, then say RAM.

Next time Google a term before you post a complaint. Application memory is a valid method to describe RAM, particularly when discussing mobile devices. Note above, in my original post I did call out I was not referring to storage space.

Hello guys! I've been geocaching for a couple of years now but this is my first time posting in this forum.

I have an iPhone 3G S and I use the geocaching app frequently. Since a few months ago I'm seeing that the app is not as accurate as it was a year ago. I have the version 4.1 right now. I don't know if the problem is that the 3G S is getting too old for the apple newer versions and the geocaching app, or anything else. If some of you can help me I will be grateful! Also, if someone can confirm that with the iPhone 4 the problem can be fixed.

Hello guys! I've been geocaching for a couple of years now but this is my first time posting in this forum.

I have an iPhone 3G S and I use the geocaching app frequently. Since a few months ago I'm seeing that the app is not as accurate as it was a year ago. I have the version 4.1 right now. I don't know if the problem is that the 3G S is getting too old for the apple newer versions and the geocaching app, or anything else. If some of you can help me I will be grateful! Also, if someone can confirm that with the iPhone 4 the problem can be fixed.

I don't know much about a degradation of GPS accuracy on the 3GS, but I can tell you my iPhone 4 has no problems giving me an accurate GPS lock, consistently

There's a geocaching app for the Touch; we run pocket queries and save them on the Touch. Only thing is the app does not seem to have an off-line search feature, so you need to scroll through the query to find your cache.

I bought an Ipod Touch 4G and use the geocaching app for paperless caching. Works fine, but I did notice that pictures are not included in the saved caches on my Touch. Does anyone know: is this because the GPX-file as a result of the pocketqueries does not contain these pictures, or is it the app (maybe a setting)? When beiing in range of wifi it's not a problem, but without wifi coverage, I mis the pictures (for instance on spoilerpics included in the cache).

I bought an Ipod Touch 4G and use the geocaching app for paperless caching. Works fine, but I did notice that pictures are not included in the saved caches on my Touch. Does anyone know: is this because the GPX-file as a result of the pocketqueries does not contain these pictures, or is it the app (maybe a setting)? When beiing in range of wifi it's not a problem, but without wifi coverage, I mis the pictures (for instance on spoilerpics included in the cache).

IIRC, the GPX file does not include the pictures, but instead it includes links to the pictures.