A School boy error......

thebartys

I have dropped two GC`s in to the wrong cache. I can not now seem to put them into the correct one. I thought if I deleted the log the would go back into my inventory - but no joy. The caches are really close togeather but the one I have dropped them into has been disabled.

Anyone got any bright ideas how to sort this school boy error out?

Two possible solutions - if you have the numbers still, go to the page and grab them back, if you do not have the tracking numbers, try writing to the owners and ask for them so you can straighten things out.

Alternatively, and I appreciate this isn't always possible, go back to the cache where they are ...

Good luck - and don't worry, it's something many of us have done at one time or another. :unsure:

If you do, you can go to the coin page and retrieve them from the cache that they are in (you will need the codes that are on the coins however for this to work). Then place them in the correct cache. You could make notes in your log to explain the error or you could just delete the logs where you placed the coins in the wrong cache and when you picked them up again.

If you don't have the code, I would email the owner of the coins and explain everything with the hopes they will forward you the coins.

Or, worst case scenario, you can post notes to the coin pages about the problem and when they get picked up by the next cacher, the two of you can straighten things out together as they will have the codes and the coins.

Hope that helped.

You can only correct the error yourself if you've made a note of the tracking numbers of those two coins...

In which case you can simply retrieve them from the wrong place and do a note to drop them off into the right place.

If you haven't got the tracking numbers then

put a note log on the cache where they are now showing, to explain why they're not in there...

put another note onto the cache where they really are and say something like "logging will be corrected later."

Then email the owner of each geocoin, explain the error and ask them to either give you the tracking number of their coin so you can make the correction, or alternatively, the owner can make the correction themselves if you give them the cache GC number of where you placed their coin.

It's an error that many cachers make at some early point in their caching careers, so don't feel too bad about it. It's the reason why I keep repeating myself...

"It's a good idea to write down the tracking number of every geocoin and travel bug as soon as you remove it from a cache. You can always correct any error in logging if you have the tracking number recorded somewhere."

MrsB

Anyone got any bright ideas how to sort this school boy error out?

A common error.

1. Gotta have the tracking numbers. Get them from the coin owners if you didn't keep them.... their contact info can be reached via the link to their profiles on the coin pages.

2. Grab them back and drop them in the proper locations.

Presto, Bingo!

Sometimes your computer will remember and autofill the #s in if you still have the window open.

I did that once. Was going to dip them for mileage in one cache on the way to the other where I left them. Then I saw the error of my ways! I didn't have the # to retrieve them to sort it out. In my case it was a TB tag, and when I typed TB into the "trackables" box, all the TB's I've had showed up. Ended up having to sort through the #'s to find the right one, but I got it done. :unsure: