New hitchiker / traveler !

redregis

[ENGLISH]

Hi !

I'm pleased to announce you www.geolutins.fr.st (free hitchiker / traveler) is now available in French and English.

RedRégis - Webmaster of www.geolutins.fr.st

---------------------------------

[FRANCAIS]

J'ai le plaisir de vous annoncer que www.geolutins.fr.st ("voyageurs" gratuits) est maintenant disponible en Français et en Anglais.

RedRégis - Webmaster de www.geolutins.fr.st

[ENGLISH - Translation]

Hello !

You are right, I had not thought of the significance of the spirit term in English.

I will change this term into "Summoner" while waiting to find the term more adapted...

What do you think about it ?

RedRégis

[FRANCAIS]

Bonjour !

Tu as raison, je n'avais pas réfléchi à la signification du terme esprit en anglais.

Je vais changer ce terme en "Invocateur" en attendant de trouver le terme le plus adapté...

Qu'en penses-tu ?

RedRégis

I guess I still don't get it unless there is some sort of magical/demonic/vodoo theme with the imps and all. I'm not sure that's what you intended...but those words carry some "dark" meanings if you aren't careful.

Maybe "Master" for the bug owners, and "Sprites" for the bugs themselves might sound a little more innocent.

George

In a nutshell, he's got a site to track something like a travel bug. The native language is French, but there's an English translation.

On the English side, the user was originally called a "Spirit", now changed to "Summoner".

The bug is called a "Geoluten" (can't remember the spelling for sure). "Luten" translates to "Imp" as far as I know.

Why these translations were chosen, I have no clue...I could understand them better if there were some kind of theme, but the site doesn't seem to express one. Just generic bugs as far as I can tell.

I don't know...the whole "Summoner/Spirit/Imp" thing just brings up images of black-magic doers releasing little monsters on the world. From the site I don't think that's what he intended.

You're interpretation may vary icon_wink.gif

George

1. Get a colleague that speaks French and real English (American or British, dealer's choice) to translate the text into proper English.

2. Change the goofy names into something a little more palatable. (ie: traveler and launcher, ship and home port, or so on)

3. Better instructions on how to get numbers for your travelers. I registered, and looked at the page that I thought was for launching a traveler, but could not decipher the procedure for getting a number.

4. Let everyone know when these changes are made. I would much prefer the French site, as given the success of travel bugs, I have no interest in buying a tag from Groundspeak. From what I gather from the number of disaffected geocachers who lose their TB's, I suspect that I am not the only person in this situation.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by redregis:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

1. Get a colleague that speaks French and real English (American or British, dealer's choice) to translate the text into proper English.

QUOTE]

Nice to see you are ready to translate my site for free and in 1 day ! ;-))

what?? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

This wasn't intended to be a flame about your site. I think an alternative to the travel bug is not only welcome, but necessary if we are going to continue with the concept of a travelling trackable item.

There are a lot of phrases that don't translate correctly. For example, you ask for identifying information. The website translation came out "identifiant" information. Had the French been translated correctly it would have read "Identifying information".

The point of raising this issue is that the term "Geoluten" is not close to an English term or a Geocaching neologism. Most of us who don't speak French would have no idea what this word meant. When you call the traveller owner a "Summoner", you create an image more commonly associated with the occult. This will burn you as most of us don't want to be associated with this area.

So, as I said, the idea of alternative hitch hiker, travel bug site is both a good and needed one. If the community is interested in maintaining this aspect of the game, then we need to figure out ways to make these MUCH less expensive, as most of us either get burned and quit them or see others get burned and don't start them.

As your site is free, the cost issue is moot, now we can hopefully enjoy this aspect of the game.

Suggestions for other terms in English:

Geoluten (Keep it, but define the term. For those of us with a nutritional or biochemical background, its too close to "gluten", the protein that gives bread its structure.)

Spirit: How about Sprite? You could even call them GeoSprites. A sprite is a fairy or nymph, and not normally perceived as occult.

Summoner: There is no way this can be made to not create occult references. How about "Launcher" or "Creator"?

Hope this helps.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

So, as I said, the idea of alternative hitch hiker, travel bug site is both a good and needed one. If the community is interested in maintaining this aspect of the game, then we need to figure out ways to make these MUCH less expensive, as most of us either get burned and quit them or see others get burned and don't start them.

I agree, the current Groundspeak TBs are way too expensive for what they are(IMO). For a while I was thinking Jeremy would start selling the cheaper 'tagless' TBs, but he seems to lost interest in that idea icon_rolleyes.gif

The only TB I've bought so far, is one to enter the upcoming cannonball. (if the timing works out... icon_redface.gif )

quote:
As your site is free, the cost issue is moot, now we can hopefully enjoy this aspect of the game.

I know there's another free way to track items at the-site-whos-name-we-may-not-say. It has a forum set up for just HHs. That might be another place worth looking into, if your thinking of releasing some sort of traveler.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Geoluten (Keep it, but define the term. For those of us with a nutritional or biochemical background, its too close to "gluten", the protein that gives bread its structure.)

That's it! I had this strange feeling that it sounded like something to do with food, but I couldn't quite place it!

George

The term is GeolutIn (Géolutin in french) and not GeolutEn, so don't think about brain ;-))

A lutin is an imp.

I want to keep this name and I will explain it in the site.

I change the term Spirit/Summoner by GeoMaster (in french : GéoMaster).

What about his ?

;-)