Is Your First Find Still Active?

This is a somewhat random thing I got to thinking about recently.

I found my first geocache on June 29, 2008 although I have far less finds today than you probably would imagine. My very first find was called Bear Pen Tennis Court. This cache is no longer active and was actually archived three months to the day from the day I found it that year.

I recently got to wondering how many other cachers here have their first finds still active or archived. So is your first find still active? Or is it archived?

Edited by DarthJustice

I found my first cache on September 24, 2006; it is still active, and most likely it will remain active in the future, too.

Out of my 269 finds, 12 were events, 5 earthcaches and 1 virtual, the rest (251 caches) had a physical container to be found. Out of these 251 caches, only 9 are archived (two of these were archived less than 10 days ago).

Naw, my first find, on 8/19/03, only lasted about a month (I found it 9 days after placement). Simple rails-to-trails cache, and too many kids hung out nearby.

However, I did find a locationless cache on an alternative Geocaching website that requires you to re-visit your first find, whether it's still there or not. I thought that was a great idea, and I did it about 4 or 5 years later.

My first was a virtual - The Round Rock - that takes you to a rock in a creek. The creek, the rock, and the cache are still there.

FWIW the rock is a large table rock in the middle of a fairly large creek. My town was named after the rock and it had served as a crossing marker for those traveling along the Chisolm Trail. Wagon wheel ruts are still clearly visible in the limestone creekbed.

Edit to add: The cache was listed in Oct, 2002. I logged it in Jan, 2004.

Edited by Semper Questio

Strangely enough, the first cache I ever found has not only been archived... the listing has completely vanished.

If you look at the profile for my previous username:

gbelton

it clearly shows 6 caches found. But if you click the link to list them, it only shows five. The first one is gone. I distinctly remember it, a small Gladware container in a little park in Chapel Hill.

I caught on to the logging online thing around find 2 or 3. So my first find is actually my second logged online.

Anyhow it's not active anymore. http://coord.info/GCK274

The funnier part was we got excited because a new cache was published by the same owner and my friend and I found it realizing they had just used the same hiding spot for the end of the multi. It was kind of fun reliving that first cache all over again.

Yes - Shy's Hill is still active. It was hidden in January of 2002, I found it in July of that same year, soon after moving into a house just downhill from it. A few years later I started maintaining it - I'd like to adopt it, but the original owner still wants it, so that's fine with me.

Oddly enough, quite a few of the people that found it before me are still active geocachers.

My first find was an FTF on "Four Faces" on August 31, 2005. That cache was archived in December 2005 when the nearby store burned to the ground. On May 3, 2007 I was FTF on a replacement cache about 20 feet from the original. The replacement cache is named "Up from the Ashes". It has 139 finds and 4 DNF's.

I actually met the CO (JoeyGeo) a few minutes after my first cache find.

Strangely enough, the first cache I ever found has not only been archived... the listing has completely vanished.

If you look at the profile for my previous username:

gbelton

it clearly shows 6 caches found. But if you click the link to list them, it only shows five. The first one is gone. I distinctly remember it, a small Gladware container in a little park in Chapel Hill.

Must have been retracted. I don't know much about retractions, but I imagine you keep the find count, but no one can see it.

So what are you telling me here? You had a big-time old school account and were finding caches in 2001 and 2002, but you didn't "re-join" and become highly active until 2009?

I found my first cache on June 17, 2001 and it is still one of my favourites.

It is called Short Cut to the Old Cabin and is still active after over 9 years.

I still need to do that one!

My first find is still active too. GC2B4 - Deer Bait which also happens to be Onario's first cache. I found it with my wife and son back on Saturday, 18 May 2002. I remember it very well. :unsure:

B) BQ

Yes - Shy's Hill is still active. It was hidden in January of 2002, I found it in July of that same year, soon after moving into a house just downhill from it. A few years later I started maintaining it - I'd like to adopt it, but the original owner still wants it, so that's fine with me.

Oddly enough, quite a few of the people that found it before me are still active geocachers.

I'm one of those.

That cache is a perfect example of what I like about this game. It frequently takes me to cool little places that I otherwise would never know about.

Of course, I still feel the need for O2 after quicktiming up and down that hill.

Edited by sbell111