Found a cache accidentally

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this.

Was walking the dog on Saturday and stumbled across an extremely well hidden cache. Found it quite exciting and my kids now have the treasure hunting bug. Re-placed the cache and rushed home to find it on the website to make a comment but can't find which one it is. There are 3 listed roughly in the same area, but none of the descriptions of the location or the cache itself match.

Should I list it as a new cache where I replaced it?

Edited by ShinyRedTuning

Hello and welcome to geocaching!

No, don't list it as a new cache. There are several explantions. Firstly it could be a 'hidden' cache container that is part of a multi-cache or unknown cache. These are not at the coordinates you see at the top of the cache page. You have to read the cache page and work out a puzzle or find clues to get the actual cache coordinates.

It could also be a new cache that someone has put out but not yet got the cache page published.

There are also other cache listing sites (like Opencaching) and the cache could be listed on that site but not on geocaching.com

Caches listed on geocaching.com should of course be labelled with a name and contact details on it .... :laughing: . Was there a logbook and cache name in the container?

If you would email me the coordinates I'll see if I can identify the cache. As a reviewer I can see hidden cache locations. Please don't post the coordinates in this forum - that wouldn't be fair to the cache owner if it is indeed a multi or unknown cache. Click on my name and email through my profile.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I've got the approximate coordinates and a check shows no caches nearby or stages of either a multi-cache or unknown cache (and that includes caches that have been archived). So it is either a new cache in preparation (and the owner hasn't yet created a cache page), a new cache that someone never got round to finishing or it's listed on another site.

Chris

Graculus

I've got the approximate coordinates and a check shows no caches nearby or stages of either a multi-cache or unknown cache (and that includes caches that have been archived). So it is either a new cache in preparation (and the owner hasn't yet created a cache page), a new cache that someone never got round to finishing or it's listed on another site.

Chris

Graculus

Thanks for looking Chris. It's definitely a Geocache as there was a little label in there explaining about the website. Perhaps whoever left it just hasn't listed it yet. I'll keep checking in.

You could legitimately go back to it and sign the log book... after all, you were FTF (First to Find) :D

MrsB

Well we did sign it as that's what it said to do, and having never heard of it, I didn't know not to :laughing:

Also left a little something in there for the next finder :D

That's good - You obviously have geocaching genes in you somewhere. :D

MrsB

While down in Cornwall for West Indian Summer Camp this year, *mouse* and I were out hiding bits and pieces for a game we'd set up for visitors. We were just talking about what a great place this would be for a cache, when I decided to pop behind some convenient bushes for a pee :D .... only to find out that the spot I'd picked was already home to a large tupperware box, logbook, and swaps.

We never did find out who'd hidden it - or why it hadn't been submitted. But the logbook had already been signed the previous week. :D:D

Another time we were testing our new hike tent by walking 10 miles across Dartmoor before pitching and staying the night. This time *mouse* had to answer the call behind a tree :laughing: - and found the penultimate stage of a multi :D

While down in Cornwall for West Indian Summer Camp this year, *mouse* and I were out hiding bits and pieces for a game we'd set up for visitors. We were just talking about what a great place this would be for a cache, when I decided to pop behind some convenient bushes for a pee :D .... only to find out that the spot I'd picked was already home to a large tupperware box, logbook, and swaps.

We never did find out who'd hidden it - or why it hadn't been submitted. But the logbook had already been signed the previous week. :D:D

Another time we were testing our new hike tent by walking 10 miles across Dartmoor before pitching and staying the night. This time *mouse* had to answer the call behind a tree :laughing: - and found the penultimate stage of a multi :D

TNLP.... :D

Chris

Graculus

....when I decided to pop behind some convenient bushes for a pee :D .... only to find out that the spot I'd picked was already home to a large tupperware box, logbook, and swaps.

This time *mouse* had to answer the call behind a tree :laughing: - and found the penultimate stage of a multi :D

I think i'll erm, leave the opening of the caches to someone else in the team from now on :D:D

We already have a rule in the team that if you need a pee, you wait until after the cache has been located. Now I'm not so sure if that rule is enough.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Well, I guess it saves on batteries for the GPSr..... :D

We were doing a local trail for the second time today (because it is really nice and we had a new geocacher with us ) and the iphone played up.My daughter thought we were at the spot of a cache and her friend found one!It wasnt part of the trail,it was part of a multi (which I dont do becuase I am rubbish at solving puzzles etc) so got a "free " smiley for that!

Well, what a great way to introduce a new cacher!

:laughing: