Earthcache help- Argentina

Andromeda321

Hi-

So in the real world when I'm not geocaching I'm a grad student in astrophysics, and my studies primarily focus on using the Auger Observatory in Argentina to look for cosmic rays (and, hilariously, most of my work focuses on monitoring GPS! ah, I can never escape :D ). I'm excited to report that I'm finally going to Argentina to visit the observatory next month- by observatory think water tanks spread over several thousand square kilometers- and before you bother to check I'll tell you that all of Argentina has about 150 geocaches in it, and the closest to the town where our observatory is based (Malargue) doesn't have a cache for at least 50 miles in any direction.

So in short I'd love to place an earthcache there because there's so much world-class science going on in this remote corner of the world that would be great to highlight. But my understanding from the first earthcache I did (I maintain the Victoria Falls earthcache in Zimbabwe :D ) is that you need to have some sort of "earth science" component, and I'm working on stuff from beyond Earth! But I'm thinking that the particles we study are the same as the ones that make up all the stuff you study in an earthcache in the first place (mainly protons and showers of particles they create in the atmosphere) and we are bombarded all over the planet by cosmic rays every second, so these are definitely things detected on Earth. What do you guys think, would such a cache fly?

Of course even if this doesn't work I'm looking forward to creating more than one earthcache while traveling in Argentina once I'm done with work- this is the country that sports the Andes and the Patagonian wilds, but only four earthcaches! Crazy! My one hesitation in this though is I admit I don't know Spanish- not well enough to write a good amount of geology in it- so I'd probably just stick my English into Google translate and post what comes out in addition to the English (most cachers in that part of the world seem to be tourists anyway, and most caches only get a small handful of visits during the year). Kosher? :laughing:

Thanks a lot for everyone's input!

First of all, best of luck in your graduate studies. Your subject matter sounds extremely interesting.

Now to your question, while the proposed EC sounds worthwhile for study, it is perhaps a stretch to turn it into an earthcache.

Regarding the language issue, I would submit the EC in English and see if a translation is demanded. (That's another can-of-worms around here!) If so demanded, try to find some help other than Google or other internet translators. Most do a terrible job especially with scientific terms.

I know this isn't much help, but it is the best I can do. Most of all, please keep on developing ECs. It sounds like you are exposed to some wonderful sites. Good luck. :laughing: