Geocacher saturating area

peepz

We have a local geocacher (very active, very nice guy, well-liked) who has placed over 600 caches in a very small area (less than 10 miles by 10 miles), saturating the area. Many of them are puzzles or multis, which are usually micros. Now he's gone on to place a bajillion caches all of the same container type (yes, they were unusual for the first 20 or so...) in this same area.

It's gotten to the point where no one else in this geographic area can place a cache because hie's literally blanketed the area. And to know that your cache isn't going to be too close to one of his, you have to do all of his puzzles and multis. Now, we like an active cacher as much as anyone else does, but we think enough is enough.

This really isn't fun for new cachers who want to place caches. It takes the fun out of the game for many of them. We remember when numbers meant something, but this is disheartening.

How would you deal with this? Or just shut up and move on to a different area to place our caches instead of being to place them close to home?

Thanks!

First, did you speak to the geocacher and ask him to leave some open areas?

Does he do well in keeping up with the cache maintenance?

I have not spoken to him. I wanted to see what others thought. These caches have all been placed over about a 4 month period and I thought it would cool off, but it hasn't. Now he's starting to do the same thing in neighboring communities.

As to maintenance, its so-so. Usually he just disables or archives the cache without fixing it or replacing it.

I don't want to start a war; I just want him to think of others when he places these caches. I've heard him say "XXX city belongs to me. No one will have a spot left to place a cache there when I'm done." or something of a similar nature, laughingly of course.

The other problem is that some of his puzzles are near-impossible to solve. He posted a puzzle cache on Oct 16 and here it is 11 days later and there is no FTF. And believe me, people have been working on it and collaborating on it. Competent, experienced puzzle solvers. So that really takes the fun out of it.

I don't know what containers are being used (like how sturdy they are) or the chance of them getting stolen etc.

However, if he's just archiving the ones that need to be maintained I would imagine at some point (in the near future if they're shoddy containers) that a lot of areas will open up by attrition.

A couple weekends ago I went out and found a couple caches by someone who had sprinkled A LOT over kind of a large geographical area. The two I found were in really bad condition. Poor containers and the whole nine. I put a NM on them only to see them archived. Looking back at the caches that were left by this individual I noticed they tend to stay up active until someone posts a NM and instead of maintaining they just get archived. Which then made me wonder if the containers are ever actually removed or if they stay out as litter.

I've seen this in several areas. First and foremost, contact the person to see if it can be worked out personnally. If that fails, bring it to the attention of the cache reviewer. I have placed several caches, and the biggest hurdle is getting permission to place the caches. If the cache owner can't prove permission was granted, I think you have a good arguement to keep further caches from being placed. As part of that, bring to the reviewers attention that he is not maintaining caches. If the caches are simply archived, chances are the cacher is leaving the containers in field, and thus littering.

I have been wondering my self just how many caches can one person reasonably maintain ?

depends. there's a few cachers from my area who have a lot of caches and do a marvellous job at maintaining them. most if not all of them are retired, so that's where they get the required time to do that.

and then i've also seen what the OP describes: fire and forget cache placements.

You must live in our area, we have someone that is doing the same thing, all of the containers are pretty much similar and basically placed in similar spots.....boring and annoying

I believe I've found a few of those near the Vincennes area. Good for numbers, but that's about it. :anitongue:

Having been on the end of some of these hides while trying to place new ones, I have talked to the cacher. He has always been willing to take down a cache for me if it's been up for a while. Some he has asked if he could leave it up for another month then informs me when its going to come down. I know that Derock (local cache approver) has always been very understanding in my placment of caches because I don't do a lot of the puzzle and multi caches.

Oh, how well, we in the area, who this is about...

Let me tell everyone following this thread. First off his caches are maintained better than most any cacher I know. And to say they are disabled or archived, this is only when they have run their course. I can also tell all of you he ALWAYS removes the cache he archives keeping the area clean of geotrash, very important to myself who believes in cito as often as I can and also clean up after cachers who do leave containers after archiving a cache.

As for the are coverage; I live about .3 of a mile from this cache placer so I sit in the middle of all of the action. I do not place that many caches, though I have placed plenty (over 300) over the years, I have never had a problem of placing a cache in the areas I place them. I have on a few occasions wanted a placement within the 528 feet range of this cachers cache, every single time I told him what I was looking to do he has removed the cache to make the room I have wanted. Of course the caches that are being complained about are park and grab to be replaced by park and grabs, most of mine are parks, cemeteries and historical locations, so I am not very often effected.

Though this cache placer has moved to other areas as well, the outskirts of his main area has more places to put a cache then you could count. If I were to find an area to use that has this kind of wide open areas, I only have to head 3 mile due north of home, not bad since I have so many in the downtown areas of City of Detroit which is generally 10 miles to my south.

Bottom line, contact the cache owner with what you would like and I am sure the spot will be opened for whoever is looking for the use of that spot. Better yet, show him you have something much better than a park and grab and I am sure he will open plenty of space for anyone with quality caches!

I know both the person who started the thread and the Hider that this is about. First let it been known the these 2 cachers live about 10 miles from each other. The "Mega Hider" lives in a vary population dense area and the person questioning this is in a more rural area by comparison. 2nd, Because of the routine of the Mega-Hide, May people come to the town where he lives for large number runs.

He tends to redo his puzzles every 6 to 8 months because so many cachers have said that they like it when he does. This gives local cachers who don't have many opportunities to travel, fresh caches to hunt. There are also seem to be a large number of cachers in the area that just love doing puzzles.

Some cachers believe that once a cache is placed it should stay until that spot no longer is viable. Some think that it is OK to change out a cache after all or most of the local cachers have found it. These are just 2 sides of the same coin. Different cachers playing the game their own way.

I have been with this Mega-Hider when he has gone out and maintained caches and personally know that he sometimes has done this 2 or 3 times in a week. It should also be noted that he never hides in a pine tree or skirt-lifters and his coordinates are always vary good. Because that is how he likes caches.

I have recently went to the area where This thread starter live and have placed some caches because there is so much open area with fields and trails. While there I enjoyed some hides placed by the cacher who started this thread..

Edited by BAPMAN CREW

We have been caching now for 3+ years. It is funny to hear someone complain about this Roseville cacher. Anyone who knows him, knows he is in this for everyone's enjoyment. He places a variety of caches, from PNG's to very difficult puzzles. Something for everyone!!! Because he likes to hide them more than he goes to find them, is a benefit to ALL cachers.

For someone to complain about someone who has only hid 145 caches in 6years, versus this guy who has over 670 hides, SHUT UP!!!!

With 3446 finds. I wonder how many of those finds were of the person of this complaint.

There is no reason this thread should be allow to continue. I am in the area of this complainer, let me tell you, there are lots of spots for caches in your backyard.

As for me, I will not be doing any more Peepz caches, no matter how close they are. I do not need the numbers.

Edited by Team Rumble

This has got to be some kind of joke, right?

People talking about not removing containers, people talking about a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with this CO.

Say what you will, but if you only have a few hundred finds and almost no hides, perhaps you should not be commenting on things that you do not fully understand. Please do not assume because some clown near you does a poor job of cache maintenance, a well respected CO near me who does an awesome job of not only placing caches but of mentoring new cachers, is bad at maintenance as well.

Personally, I have learned more about caching and hiding caches from this cache owner, than all others put together.

As for puzzles, he has really easy ones and more difficult ones. Not everyone is going to solve everyone.

I think it would be a shame to discourage a CO like him. Most others do not even bother placing any.

If I were you, I would take down this thread before you embarass yourself anymore than you already have.

Edited by Ramblin' Rumble

Wow. This is sad. I have personally found caches from both in question. I say this. Anytime I have a question or problem with any of this mega hiders caches he has gone out of his way to check on the problem in question and responded back in a quick manner. I know that he has replaced caches instead of archiving them. I think he is personally responsible for bring the multi back to the area in question which had disappeared for a while. I have loved that he has done more non-traditional caches than traditional. We have a cache in the area in question and did not have any problem placing it there. In fact it is a tribute to the mega hider in question. His coordinates are accurate which is something I can not say about the geocacher who is complaining. I know if I asked he would take a cache down to let me place one. That is the kind of guy he is.

I know both of these cachers, and this thread doesn't deserve to be listed. The assertion that there is a lack of maintenance is absurd and baseless. The hides we're talking about, of which I have personally found over four hundred, are the highlight and treasure of the area. Also, this hider gladly works with anyone that wants some room to work with. People come from other states and Canada to enjoy the fun of these creative puzzles and hides. Stop this nonsense Peepz and get this drivel off this site! Man up and talk to him about what you are looking to do, without undesirably whining to people that have nothing to do with our area. I am amazed at how people can take something that is so fun and find reasons to bitch about it. This is just so wrong.

I have also solved all of the puzzles in question. They are delightful.

- Rock Dogz

Edited by Rock Dogz

Well this is sad to read! We have a cacher in our local area that enjoys the hide as much if not more than the find and he gets grief for it. It is true that he has blanketed the area with caches but as many local events as I have been to have I ever heard "I wish he would just stop" or anything of the sort.

To speak to cache maintenance he does a great job and I know he picks up his geo-trash if it is still there to find. He is very conscious of trash... I spent a day caching with him in a state recreation area and by noon he couldn't carry any more trash.

It is dis-heartening that the opinion is to come here looking for "advice" first then consider talking to the CO rather than the other way around. I couldn't even imagine the number of cachers that started their obsession as a muggle asking what we were doing while searching for one of his caches.

I have never found one of his caches that I thought "that was garbage" If the container isn't to par... it's the story in the description, if it's not that it's the uniqueness of his puzzles or multi's.

Before anyone continues to bash him I would challenge you to read a dozen or so of his cache pages or spend a day hunting his great caches.

He is the only person I have ever seen be able to maintain a large size container in an urban environment.

To the cache in question - Me and my family love what you do and hope you never stop!

Well this is sad to read! We have a cacher in our local area that enjoys the hide as much if not more than the find and he gets grief for it. It is true that he has blanketed the area with caches but as many local events as I have been to have I ever heard "I wish he would just stop" or anything of the sort.

To speak to cache maintenance he does a great job and I know he picks up his geo-trash if it is still there to find. He is very conscious of trash... I spent a day caching with him in a state recreation area and by noon he couldn't carry any more trash.

It is dis-heartening that the opinion is to come here looking for "advice" first then consider talking to the CO rather than the other way around. I couldn't even imagine the number of cachers that started their obsession as a muggle asking what we were doing while searching for one of his caches.

I have never found one of his caches that I thought "that was garbage" If the container isn't to par... it's the story in the description, if it's not that it's the uniqueness of his puzzles or multi's.

Before anyone continues to bash him I would challenge you to read a dozen or so of his cache pages or spend a day hunting his great caches.

He is the only person I have ever seen be able to maintain a large size container in an urban environment.

To the cache in question - Me and my family love what you do and hope you never stop!

Okay, I'll be the one to say it so that the out of towners know who we speak of, the cachers name is gsix5666, look him up and chack out the logs for yourself.

I think all of the support that this 'Mega-Hider' is getting really means something. It's a shame that cachers from our area only found about this recently.

To the authors of this post...the same cachers who when I had under 100 finds and deleted a 'DNF' log on one of my caches that they double posted told me that I am ruining the game, and they bullied me, when they were the ones who had made the mistake and couldn't even reply to me when I pointed out their error. I almost quit geocaching at that point, luckily I didn't listen to them. To the authors...you are CRAZY.

For everyone else not from our area this 'Mega-Hider' goes out of his way to help anyone and everyone out. Look up the cache 'No More Cows', how many times has he gone out there with his own ladder, on his own time, with his own gas to go and help someone climb a pole in the middle of winter to get a cache.

His cache, are very well maintained. Yes they go missing, when you have over 100 active caches at a time, of course they will go missing, but after one DNF, he will be out there making sure that the cache is findable again. He's the first person I know to archive a challenge cache because someone wanted to put a park and grab in the same spot. Why put this on here, why try to bully someone else when you can just ask?

Keep up the good work 'Mega-Hider', we love your caches! Better than something LITERALLY thrown out of a car from a parking spot ;)

I just want to know why I have an email from someone about this thread that literally has not crossed my mind since it's early days. It's special that this hider has a local following. With out all the details all anyone can do is comment on what is presented. However I really didn't need an email about what to me has been a long dead thread.

Wow! I am absolutely flabbergasted and saddened that anyone would say something like this about one of the most talented, kind-hearted, ethical geocachers to ever play this game. In the 2+ years that I have been geocaching, gsix has done more for this game in this area than anyone else I know of. With the exception of the original poster of this thread, I agree with all the comments added in support of gsix. I recently moved to another state where the caches are very few and far between and would LOVE to have a cache owner as profilic, dedicated, and helpful as gsix in my area. We love you, gsix, and all you do to make geocaching in the metro Detroit area absolutely awesome. Keep up the great work.

Buggheart and Infolady

I think people are missing the point of the OP which has a valid point imo.

The OP is not putting down the hider in anyway imo, only that he should perhaps slow down hiding so many caches to give a chance for others to hide some as well.

My thoughts about this? I see no problem that the individual hides so many caches. If other people want to hide caches then they just have to be faster.

But on the other hand, having so many caches in one area just for the sake of filling space turns me off so I wouldnt be happy to have someone dumping caches around me like that but its nothing that I could do about it.

Everyone plays the game whatever they like it.

Edited by ZeMartelo

I would say that most of us ARE NOT missing the point because where the OP lives is NOT the area he is questioning. In fact where the OP lives is wide open with Loads of room for caches. 1/2 a mile from the OP's home are 2 large area of undeveloped land. The OP has only placed 2 caches there in the last year, both being park and grabs. On the other hand I have recently went in there and Placed 6 caches that make use of woods and trails.

What those of you that are not from the area don't understand that the OP is only interested in placing P&G's and passes up opportunities to place quality caches near their own home and then complains about what someone is doing 10 miles away. I would much rather cache in the less populated area where the OP lives but there are fewer caches out that way. It would be nice if the OP would put their efforts into placing Quality caches (not just P&Gs) near their home rather than complain about the Mega-Hider.

Had the OP started a thread that was only a discussion about Saturation of an area instead of directing the issue at Mega-Hider(gsix5666), this whole thread would be a different story.

Peepz, you started out saying Gsix5666 is a likable guy. That means you know that he is someone that you can talk too. YOU should have just talked to him instead of going to a public forum and bad-mouthing one of the most generous cachers most of us will ever meet. You have done yourself a true injustice and lost friends. Take note that Gsix5666 is not the type of person to deal with this in a PUBLIC forum. A forum that is filled with cachers from out of the area that have no idea of the truth of situation. That is part of what inspires others to jump to HIS defense.

I just heard about this thread from a friend today. Glenn does a fabulous job and goes out of his way, puts so much time and effort into all his caches and put together a wonderful New Years event that so many got to enjoy. He makes this game so much fun for everyone and I agree with the previous posters as to why aren't they posting more by their own home. Why is this even an issue??? I'm ashamed to admit we have only placed two caches. What if everyone was like us. There would be no game. He should be applauded for all his effort and if you don't like the area, don't cache it. And another thing, if he is so saturated, how come even though we have over 800 caches and live near him, most aren't his. I, myself, cannot wait to take a day to cache his area. He is truly one of a kind. You rock Glenn!

You should go steal some of his caches, no questions asked

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE DUMBEST THING SOMEONE COULD SAY.

Wow i was holding back and not going to go on here and reply to any of this because i think it is the most childish thing to do. 1. to go on the THIS forum and compain about one of the best cachers i know. There are so many people on here who just like to see their name on a topinc and think out of their A** instead of the thing on top of their head that should be a brain. 2. i can't believe someone would be stupid enough to write on this forum to steal someones cache either you are new and stupid or old and seniel and shouldn't be caching anymore.

3, glen puts out some of the neatest caches i have done yes there are a lot but everyone in michigan knows if you want to do a numbers run go to roseville. We all like it and if you thought glen was a real nice guy you would have gone to him and said hey i want to put a cache out here and he would have archived the cache to do it instead of coming on here and letting people who have no clus who he is talk bad a bitch about stuff they have no right to talk about.