Road Trips

PDOP's

At the beginning of August the Leapin Lizzard bug was picked up from one of my caches and over the next month was carried to more than a dozen different caches by the same geocacher. The bug was logged as dropped off and picked up at each cache.

At first I thought this cacher didn't know to leave the bug in the cache but then I began to see the appeal of this type of road trip. Lots of logs and miles travelled for the bug and the cacher has a summary of his own travels on the bug's page. What do you think?

I don't mind someone taking their own travel bug and using it this way, but if it were my bug I would want it to be seen by other cachers. I do like logs and stories so I guess if they were really creative then I wouldn't mind for a while (a couple of weeks) but eventually I would want the bug to be passed along. If you take a bug to a cache and it won't fit for some reason then I think you could show that the Bug traveled there but could not be left.

Yes, it depends on the bug's goal and the owner's wishes. I've had it go both ways.

One bug I picked up, he had a goal of visiting as many states as possible. So I took it with me to visit caches in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia all in one day. Then dropped him off in New York the following weekend. If I had just moved it once, he would have been far slower in picking up those other states, given the normal "waiting time" in each cache.

On the other hand, I picked up a bug at the beginning of a 20-cache, 600 mile marathon over Labor Day weekend, and it travelled with me the entire time since the bug's goal was NOT to move in the direction of my marathon trip. Upon my return, I asked the bug owner about logging in and out of all the caches and she said "no thanks, just put it in the next cache" so I did.

Personally, I LIKE logging the bug in and out of several caches. If I do that all in one weekend and leave off the bug at the end of the trip, how can that be any worse than people who sit on bugs for months at a time without returning them into circulation?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

In my opinion picking a bug up and taking it with you on a days caching and leaving it at the last of the day. Or even holding it for a while and logging it into several caches seems fine. And I'm sure most bug owners wouldn't mind at all. But the idea of someone picking up a bug and logging it into ever cache they visit for a month seems like it would get kinda boring after a while. I wouldn't want to go to my bug page and be thinking "Lets see what caches Mr. Bugjacker hit today."

Holding it for a while would be entertaining but if someone hooks the bug on their pack and continues to log it into every cache the visit would get boring.

It also is dependent on the releaser's intent for the bug. I intend to release mine so that it can visit as many cachers as possible not as many caches as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

"Geocaching" - A nature hike with a mission!

In my opinion picking a bug up and taking it with you on a days caching and leaving it at the last of the day. Or even holding it for a while and logging it into several caches seems fine. And I'm sure most bug owners wouldn't mind at all. But the idea of someone picking up a bug and logging it into ever cache they visit for a month seems like it would get kinda boring after a while. I wouldn't want to go to my bug page and be thinking "Lets see what caches Mr. Bugjacker hit today."

Holding it for a while would be entertaining but if someone hooks the bug on their pack and continues to log it into every cache the visit would get boring.

It also is dependent on the releaser's intent for the bug. I intend to release mine so that it can visit as many cachers as possible not as many caches as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

"Geocaching" - A nature hike with a mission!

While there are no "rules", there seems to be a consensus in this forum regarding transport of Travel Bugs:

1. If bugs are to be mailed, it should only be done from/to the owner to begin or end a mission.

2. A bug should be moved and logged in accordance with the its mission and the owner's desires. Email the owner if unsure.

3. If you can't/won't comply with #2, DON'T TAKE THE BUG! (yes, I intended to shout that last point. icon_wink.gif )

So if the owner has given permission or at least doesn't object, there is nothing wrong with taking bugs on "road trips". And owners who do object can always delete any unwanted logs placed during a road trip.

Worldtraveler

While there are no "rules", there seems to be a consensus in this forum regarding transport of Travel Bugs:

1. If bugs are to be mailed, it should only be done from/to the owner to begin or end a mission.

2. A bug should be moved and logged in accordance with the its mission and the owner's desires. Email the owner if unsure.

3. If you can't/won't comply with #2, DON'T TAKE THE BUG! (yes, I intended to shout that last point. icon_wink.gif )

So if the owner has given permission or at least doesn't object, there is nothing wrong with taking bugs on "road trips". And owners who do object can always delete any unwanted logs placed during a road trip.

Worldtraveler

Do you normally KNOW the TB's mission BEFORE picking it up from a cache. I'm a complete newbie here and so far the only significant information I've taken with me on a hunt besides the waypoint in my GPSr is the description from the cache page and/or any hints I want. I /may/ know beforehand that a bug may be in a cache and I try to do my homework on this bug beforehand if I can but it doesn't always work out perfectly. I have all the waypoints for the caches in my general area in my GPSr I may also not go to them all at once or close to the dates I uploaded them.

I think the idea behind the "TB Passport" may indicate that predominately people /encounter/ TB's more than know beforehand to expect one.

?

/j

-- Jim Burns

Pearland, TX

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I'd rather have somebody road-trip a bug in that fashion, if they were visiting caches anyway, than have somebody simply take the bug to the last cache they visit on their trip. It better reflects the true course of the bug, imho.

That's a good point. And maybe we need to make a distinction in the use of the term "road trip."

If you're out on a hunt and hunt 9 caches successfully and pick up a TB on #2. The TB, by definition a hitchhiker, should be logged in and out of each cache #3-#9 as it DID travel that way.

Deciding where to PLACE the bug is a different issue altogether. IF you knew the details and goals on this TB beforehand you may be able to determine how your cache hits #3-#9 work into the goal of the TB and, for example, you may place it at the end of your day's hunt in #9. But if you don't know this TB's goals you pretty much have to wait until you get back to base and look it up. At which point you can determine how to place it. (Certainly if you take a TB you have a responsibility to try an place it in a way that advances its goal. /try/ being the key word since nothings perfect and honor must reign.)

But I see this as something quite different from this notion of "road trip" where the intention is quite different than the TB merely being a hitchhiker and more for the recording of miles.

As some of this discussion has explained there may well be good reasons for road trips. It's not really something one can "rule" for or against. Ultimately the basic tenets supersede any need to get mired in the right or wrong of road trips.

/j

-- Jim Burns

Pearland, TX

If you are going some miles from home on a "real" trip, it should be interesting to a bug's owner to see logs and pictures of the bug at each cache you visit. If you have a lap top or can get to a library to log, the owner can have the fun of following along on the bug's travels. Just logging a bug in and out of local caches might be boring unless that is the stated goal of the travel bug.

Jimburns:

quote:
If you're out on a hunt and hunt 9 caches successfully and pick up a TB on #2. The TB, by definition a hitchhiker, should be logged in and out of each cache #3-#9 as it DID travel that way

yea that's all makes sense but it is pretty annoying when it is done with a TB on your watch list and you get 8 email alerts for the same bug.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Yup, I'll road trip a bug to add miles, if I can do it's mission through photos. I'll only log legs with a photo of the bug.

Clint Eastward, Dirty Harry movie sites, 9/2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=8886

Elmo-BarbaraWashburn, Mountain peaks, 9/2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=754

Seaman, WWII and Cold War subs,7/2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=12344

*Betsey Page*, Showgirl suirrel, 11/30/2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=20256

Road Trip bugs are great fun! I picked up a bug almost a year ago that has since become my alter ego. I tried repeatedly to contact the owner to get his permission to go long distance with the bug but still have not gotten a response. 6 months of trying to contact = it's ok as far as I am concerned.

With a quality road trip TB, you can look for fun places to go to get the miles up. Track your tavel history. I love it.

Mike the Bunny!

Juanbob

quote:
Originally posted by Juanbob:

Road Trip bugs are great fun! I picked up a bug almost a year ago that has since become my alter ego. I tried repeatedly to contact the owner to get his permission to go long distance with the bug but still have not gotten a response. 6 months of trying to contact = it's ok as far as I am concerned.

With a quality road trip TB, you can look for fun places to go to get the miles up. Track your tavel history. I love it.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=9216

Juanbob

Now if everyone else would post as many pics as you do. Very cool! I hope you happen across one of my bugs.

BTW- You asked the owner. They didn't say "no." That's a "Yes" in my book as long as it doesn't conflict with the TB's goal. Look near the bottom of my profile and you will see that I identify.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I like to log only 1 cache per outting (geographically speaking). I did several caches in Alaska recently, but only logged one for mike as to not bore the TB people.

Lots of pictures though! Doing a road trip with a bug sans pictures would be only half a road trip! icon_razz.gif

Juanbob

quote:
Originally posted by Juanbob:

Lots of pictures though! Doing a road trip with a bug sans pictures would be only half a road trip! icon_razz.gif

I agree here. One of the main reasons I got my digital camera was so I could post pictures of cache hunts and travel bugs doing cool things on road trips, etc. Pictures make for a much more interesting travelogue for both caches and travel bugs.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

One of the main reasons I got my digital camera was so I could post pictures of cache hunts and travel bugs doing cool things on road trips, etc. Pictures make for a much more interesting travelogue for both caches and travel bugs.

Hey me too icon_razz.gif although it's amazing how many more photos I take of other stuff too now that I don't have to worry about film and processing.

PDOP's GPS Pages