Oregon screen brightness

JCfans

Well I finaly broke my 60c. I need to get a new unit. I am pretty much settled on the 60cx or a Oregon 400t. I am leaning towards the Oregon but am a bit concerened about the screen brightness issue I have read about. Is it really that bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well I finaly broke my 60c. I need to get a new unit. I am pretty much settled on the 60cx or a Oregon 400t. I am leaning towards the Oregon but am a bit concerened about the screen brightness issue I have read about. Is it really that bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just picked up the 450t to use along with my 60csx. The screen is a bit dimmer imo but it was very readable in direct sunlight to me. There is screen glare on any gps in direct sunlight, yes even my 60csx, so you need to tilt it a bit. Like I said I just picked mine up yesterday and took it out into the direct sun the first chance I got. I think it will be just fine :sad:

If you are looking at purchasing an Oregon, you should be aware that the Oregon x00 series and GPSMAP 76 series have been discontinued:

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/10/garmin-disc...smap-76csx.html

Just FYI Cabelas.com is selling the 450t for $329 atm and also have a $20 off coupon for any purchase over $120. I got mine out the door for $309+tax. I thought that was a pretty descent deal. It was cheaper than trying to buy a regular 450 without the pre-loaded topo maps. Hope that helps.

alright you sold me. Just went and placed the order at Cabela's for the 450t. I see that the 50 series has an improved screen over the 00 series. I was reading reviews about the 00 series. Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to get this baby and try it out.

alright you sold me. Just went and placed the order at Cabela's for the 450t. I see that the 50 series has an improved screen over the 00 series. I was reading reviews about the 00 series. Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to get this baby and try it out.

I hope you like it. I'm enjoying mine :sad:

On my Oregon400t I found it is very simple to improve. Just turn off the terrain shading. Instead of a green screen you now have a white screen. Much more visible. Turn the shading on just when you want it.

Cool tip!! I noticed a change from green to white as I zoomed in but didn't know there was a way to change it B)

On my Oregon400t I found it is very simple to improve. Just turn off the terrain shading. Instead of a green screen you now have a white screen. Much more visible. Turn the shading on just when you want it.

Cool tip!! I noticed a change from green to white as I zoomed in but didn't know there was a way to change it :unsure:

+1 (about turning off the shading)

I'm a little late to the party but I'll toss in a few comments. I have an Oregon 550, I didn't get the T version with maps because I already owned the topo 2008 maps, and at the time I purchased it was $100 cheaper.

1. I wish the screen was a lot brighter but most of the time it's okay.

2. I love the camera on the 550. I use it all the time and it take great pictures. Well worth the extra money for me.

3. If you live in the northwest and want more detailed maps and trails then check out switchbacks.com (Google "Northwest Trails project").

More tips, including this one here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc7

One more question I haven't figured out yet.

Is there anyway to hide the caches on the map when you aren't caching? The screen gets pretty cluttered with icons.

Yes, but I will have to play with mine to find the right setting. As I recall it is setup>map>zoom level> user mappoints> and then either turn off or set to a low level such as .02miles. Something like that.

More tips, including this one here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc7

One more question I haven't figured out yet.

Is there anyway to hide the caches on the map when you aren't caching? The screen gets pretty cluttered with icons.

Yes, but I will have to play with mine to find the right setting. As I recall it is setup>map>zoom level> user mappoints> and then either turn off or set to a low level such as .02miles. Something like that.

Ditto that - but set the zoom level up on another profile (or create a new non-caching profile of your own) so you only have to change profiles when you're not caching, rather than changing zoom levels every time :unsure:

Thanks everyone! Anyone know if there is a way to remove the annoying "Batteries too low for full backlight or tones." message? I would rather it ran out at the set brightness (batteries indicate half full) than force low brightness with half the battery life remaining. That just doesnt make much sense to me.

Thanks everyone! Anyone know if there is a way to remove the annoying "Batteries too low for full backlight or tones." message? I would rather it ran out at the set brightness (batteries indicate half full) than force low brightness with half the battery life remaining. That just doesnt make much sense to me.

This only happens with the Alkaline setting (I've never understood why). You'll be much better off using NiMH batteries with a good charger anyway!

GO$Rs

Ditto that - but set the zoom level up on another profile (or create a new non-caching profile of your own) so you only have to change profiles when you're not caching, rather than changing zoom levels every time :unsure:

This does work but unfortunately this setting also affects user POIs and waypoints so you won't see them either.

This only happens with the Alkaline setting (I've never understood why). You'll be much better off using NiMH batteries with a good charger anyway!

GO$Rs

My understanding is that Alkalines do not give a steady flow like Lithium or NiMH. That is what my camera manual states anyway, so you are better off with Lithium or NiMH for full function of your unit, although Lithiums always seem glitchy in my GPS, they work great in my camera.

I bought the 450 not long ago and I am extremely please with it. java script:emoticon(':D',%20'smid_5') Personally I would not bother with the 't' version as the topo suplied is (imho) useless! java script:emoticon(':(',%20'smid_16') Get a proper 1:50K level map and unit deal, you won't regret it! Yeah the screen isn't the brightest, but it actually is OK. It is great in bright sunlight without the backlight on as it is a transflective screen. Having the backlight on eats the batteries... beware! I have my unit in battery save and backlight off mode most of the time and the NMH batteries 2650 mAh last for a reasonabe time now 8 hrs plus and counting (was using duracell ultras and getting about 16-20 hrs. As for the battery low warning this seems to be more of a problem on alkalines, but I have had it a couple of times on NMH when very low. Personally I woudl not b