How many DNF's do you have?

So far i'm 11/11 finds. One we got to GZ and there was people everywhere as it was in a busy parking lot, so we decided to go back at night. I don't consider that a DNF because we really didnt try.

I would have logged the DNF on that one anyway. A DNF log that says "Arrived at GZ shortly after noon, there were too many muggles around for us to search properly. Will try again later," provides useful information for subsequent searchers.

True, that makes sence, maybe i'll put it as a note rather than a DNF because we didn't even get out of the car. This way others know.

80 DNFs versus 890 finds but quite a few of those DNFs were later resolved through either going back and finding the cache or (becasue of the DNF logs) getting it archived. Anytime I spend more than a few minutes at GZ and do not score the find I log a DNF.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that most cachers that consistantly log DNFs will have somewhere in the 8% to 10% DNF rate (notice I didn't say failure rate) versus found caches. Somewhere around me there is a challenge cache that you need to have 100 DNFs to find it. Looking forward to finding that one next spring.

I'd have to count, I know it's into the hundreds.

I don't necessarily log a DNF every time we go caching and come up empty. Sometimes we have a crappy day, it gets too hot and we lose our patience. Sometimes a muggle is sitting right on top of where we think it is. "Did not find" isn't the same to me as ran out of time and/or patience.

So far i'm 11/11 finds. One we got to GZ and there was people everywhere as it was in a busy parking lot, so we decided to go back at night. I don't consider that a DNF because we really didnt try.

I would have logged the DNF on that one anyway. A DNF log that says "Arrived at GZ shortly after noon, there were too many muggles around for us to search properly. Will try again later," provides useful information for subsequent searchers.

Ditto. That's a DNF in MY book.

True, that makes sence, maybe i'll put it as a note rather than a DNF because we didn't even get out of the car. This way others know.

You can log it as a note if you want. But, as someone around here says in a sig file, "Logging a DNF isn't giving yourself an F." I figure that I went there to look for it, I Did Not Find it, so it's a DNF. I don't get why some cache seekers (and cache owners) seem to think a DNF holds some sort of stigma.

I've got at least one DNF where I found the cache. I was about to pick it up and sign it, when I got challenged by someone claiming to be the land manager, and he didn't want me where I was and told me to leave.

I thought about posting a note; but I decided the DNF would be more noticed, and call attention to what appeared to be a permission issue with the cache. (Or it could have been a rogue muggle!).

You can log it as a note if you want. But, as someone around here says in a sig file, "Logging a DNF isn't giving yourself an F." I figure that I went there to look for it, I Did Not Find it, so it's a DNF. I don't get why some cache seekers (and cache owners) seem to think a DNF holds some sort of stigma.

Besides, when I get my 500th DNF, I will qualify for the DNF Super Challenge. B)

Ok, there isn't such a challenge here yet. But when there is, I'll be ready.

I have 35 DNF's. Didn't log too many of them when I first started. Definitely improved on DNF logging more recently. It's always nice to be able to go back and see how I failed looking for a particular cache, and try to find a new way to go about it. I don't typically log DNF's on ones i didn't search for or get to GZ due to too many muggles. Think I might start now.

I have 2 DNFs out of 36 total logs. [i just started caching a little less than 2 weeks ago]

I could have a couple more, but I went back not an hour later and found them. The two DNFs that I have haven't been found in quite a while, and have a couple other DNFs on them. I mainly posted it so the owner would know that they might need to check on them.

337 logged dnfs. I believe that this firmly establishes my qualifications for the Areas Worst Cacher. Some others have been known to log dnfs multiple times to try to contest the title, but when you consider the number of caches I have found only because I have been with true masters or had a phone handy, then it is apparent how inept I am at this game.

Went back and found it last night. I guess everyone has different standards for what a DNF is. If i drive past a location and decide not to look then I wouldn't consider that a DNF.

I find it interesting how we all have different points of view as to what a DNF is to us. :laughing:

I only have 20 DNF's, but I only have 206 finds, so a bit under 10%. 4 have been archived, 6 I found, 4 that need to be looked at as they have a ton of DNF and the rest I need to find LOL I post them just because well, I didn't find it! You never know if it has been muggled or not and not posting it just seems pointless.

Besides, when I get my 500th DNF, I will qualify for the DNF Super Challenge. :laughing:

Ok, there isn't such a challenge here yet. But when there is, I'll be ready.

Well The Leprechauns seem to be saying earlier in the thread that DNF challenges are no longer allowed, when I seemed to be hinting towards placing one (which I was). I'm still looking into that.

Nice thread. I'll bet the people who never log DNF's, only log a small percentage of them, or only log them after a few attempts (whom I believe the be the overwhelming majority) that are reading it must think we're all a bunch of nutcases. :D

I have logged 2512 DNFs.

I don't log all my DNFs by some people's definitions.

I guess mulvaney doesn't consider me to be in his area. I'm kind of surprised that he doesn't consider sdarken to be in his area.

Although I do have a narrow regional focus (north of the water, south of forman), anybody who can find a cache a day for over seven years does not qualify for the AWC title. And I have seen sdarken pull out a find when those of us who are mere mortals would have given up -- or guide me to where I should be looking when my feeble attempts have failed.

I sometimes get a little lazy with dnfs - and if I am with someone who has indicated that more than one person has searched for a cache, I will let them take care of the typing if I have nothing to add to the story. But field notes make it easier to log them in. My rate of dnfs has increased as the equipment has gotten better.

Edited by mulvaney
And I have seen sdarken pull out a find when those of us who are mere mortals would have given up -- or guide me to where I should be looking when my feeble attempts have failed.

I am a much better finder when I'm in a group. I think that's because the rest of the group finds the caches that are hidden in the spots that are obvious to anyone with geosense, while my searching uses no geosense whatsoever and thus sometimes locates those caches where the hider is trying to defeat normal geosense.

Went back and found it last night. I guess everyone has different standards for what a DNF is. If i drive past a location and decide not to look then I wouldn't consider that a DNF.

I find it interesting how we all have different points of view as to what a DNF is to us. :D

Isn't it? In the situation given, I don't log a DNF but post a note instead. This gives the same information without throwing up warning flags that the cache might be missing. I, for one, narrow my pocket queries down in GSAK by looking at the number of recent DNFs. If there are too many, then that cache doesn't get added to the list that gets sent to the GPSr.

I've run across situations where the cache may have been there, but I didn't feel comfortable searching for whatever reason. Like I joked before: I want a 'DNA' log for 'Did Not Attempt'. :(

I am a much better finder when I'm in a group. I think that's because the rest of the group finds the caches that are hidden in the spots that are obvious to anyone with geosense, while my searching uses no geosense whatsoever and thus sometimes locates those caches where the hider is trying to defeat normal geosense.

Oddly enough, I find that my geosense is very much limited when in a group. Group caching always throws me off, because I assume that someone else who just searched that spot would have found it in that spot if it were there. Frequently, caching with a group actually takes longer to find a cache than if I were alone. Your mileage may vary, of course.