How many DNF's do you have?

I'm curious how many people actually log their DNF's as rigorously as they log finds. I've logged every DNF since day 1. I even mark the count in the DNF log and I have a DNF coin that I visit to each log as a joke. I think I have something like 330 DNF's.

137 logged, but I have gone back and found many of those later.

I always log my DNFs unless I forget, or the search was so cursory that the log would be pointless for both myself and the owner.

I'm curious how many people actually log their DNF's as rigorously as they log finds. I've logged every DNF since day 1. I even mark the count in the DNF log and I have a DNF coin that I visit to each log as a joke. I think I have something like 330 DNF's.

137 logged, but I have gone back and found many of those later.

I always log my DNFs unless I forget, or the search was so cursory that the log would be pointless for both myself and the owner.

No idea. I rarely log DNF's as I have a pretty short attention span in some places. Most of the one's I've walked away from were in high visibility locations where I didn't feel comfortable pawing around very long.

I'm so fanatical about logging DNF's that I've bookmarked every active cache I've failed to find, and I link to that list in my forum signature below. DNF's help the cache owner assess the accuracy of their difficulty rating, and the possible need for a maintenance visit. They're not a mark of failure - to the contrary, if I found every cache I searched for, I would have gotten bored and left this game long ago. It's the risk of failure that makes success worth searching for.

The linked bookmark list tells me I've logged 336 DNF's, of which 91 have not been resolved through a later find or through archival. I've resolved 98 DNF's with a later find, which I always enter in a separate new log in order to preserve the history of my activities.

Around 7.3% of my cache searches end with a DNF log. I log a DNF whenever I set a "Go To" and actively search for a cache, but don't sign the log. This excludes driving up to a cache and deciding I don't want to look for it. In my mind I call those "DNA's" for "Did Not Attempt."

Wow! You got a lot of DNFs for someone only playing for six months. :sad::(

I've logged 323 (half of which have been archived. Note: That doesn't mean they wre missing when I DNFed them...)

I like narcissa's point: "I always log my DNFs unless I forget, or the search was so cursory that the log would be pointless for both myself and the owner."

I've grown to dislike the clutter of "pointless" DNFs. They clutter up the page, and a number of DNFs may discourage cache hunters. I just did maintenance on one with three DNFs. Right where it should be. Sorry that they have no idea what a MKH is. "Didn't solve the puzzle, but we searched anyway." "Got too dark, so we gave up after a few minutes." Pointless DNFs.

I just looked this up the other day, inspired by another thread. I have logged 322, including one yesterday. Pretty strange how so many of the posters above me are right around that same number.

The two people local to me who have posted to this thread should note that having 100 logged DNF's is probably a good idea. Or is probably going to be in the near future. :sad:

356 DNF's. If I get out of the car and don't get a smiley it is a DNF. If I arrive on site and immediately lose interest, then it isn't.

Right. If I visit the actual GZ and hunt, then I log something. I've been to a GZ because it was at a gas station where I was filling up, etc, but I didn't hunt, so I don't record a log.

I just looked this up the other day, inspired by another thread. I have logged 322, including one yesterday. Pretty strange how so many of the posters above me are right around that same number.

The two people local to me who have posted to this thread should note that having 100 logged DNF's is probably a good idea. Or is probably going to be in the near future. :(

Can I combine my current account with my old one. No need to drag in the socks for this one. :sad:

I've got 13 logged DNFs, 3 on one particularly tough 1.5/1 hide that I eventually found, so that is 11 unique caches. Of those, I have eventually found 4, so that is 7 still listed as DNF. On one of those, I got a not-so-coveted First To Fail. I found it, and have visited it on several occasions. I just can't reach the darn thing.

I love my DNFs, most of the logs for them are more interesting than my finds.

I have 86 logged finds and 2 placed.

The two people local to me who have posted to this thread should note that having 100 logged DNF's is probably a good idea. Or is probably going to be in the near future. :sad:

I'm detecting a faint whiff of "unpublishable challenge cache." DNF's are not a "positive Geocaching achievement." I disagree with that interpretation, on the grounds that encouraging people to log their DNF's is a good thing.

Of course I have returned and found most of those later.

There are even a few of those that are repeats on the same cache.

There is one that disappears every time I finally go and look for it. Every time I try to find it, I log a DNF and then no one else finds it and the owner disables it.

It sees me coming and runs I guess.

It's really important to me to log them.

I know the owner can't keep track of whether or not it disappears or whether it is rated correctly if I don't log them. I don't take it as a failure, in fact I take it as a big success that I remember to log them!!

I always log my DNFs when I feel like I've given the cache a search that should have found it. I'm still waiting for a DNA log... :(

I have 212 logged DNF's. I have no idea how many I've gone back and found at a later date. Roughly 11% of my cache logs (Finds and DNFs) are DNFs.

Since we're discussing stats, 12% of my total finds have been FTF's. :sad:

133 Logged DNFs and 1016 Founds... several DNF's are on the same caches though... I have no qualms about logging a DNF. It is accurate and gives feedback to the CO as to whether their cache may or may not be rated properly for difficulty, or that there may be issues with their cache.

11 so far. I DNF one for the second time yesterday, after getting a clue from the owner, should I count it twice?

I only have 14 smilies....hopefully my ratio will get better soon! B)

Yea, I have improved (though still getting a significant number of DNFs).

After 100 finds, 26 DNFs. (> 20%)

After 500 finds, 79 DNFs. (~13.5%)

After 1021 finds, 127 DNFs. (~11%)

172 DNFs for me (1021 finds). That's about 11% of my total (Find + DNF) logs.

142 DNF logs for me.

There was a thread like this a year or so ago that asked for both DNF and Find numbers. I added up the numbers for 30 or so responses and came up with a 10-11% DNFs to Finds.

I'm at a whopping 15.24%. And I'll bet I have a couple dozen at least unlogged. Occasionally I'll forget, but this is usually when a cache sounds decent on paper and aerial reconn, but I arrive to find a teen party pit, or hypodermic needles and condoms, or a homeless camp. Then I roll with the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" credo. B)

I'm just starting, and in reading a lot of the newb posts, a lot of people seem to have a good amount of DNFs in their first bit.

So far i'm 11/11 finds. One we got to GZ and there was people everywhere as it was in a busy parking lot, so we decided to go back at night. I don't consider that a DNF because we really didnt try.

I'm actually excited for my first DNF because that would pose a good challenge, and i looovve challenges!!

So far i'm 11/11 finds. One we got to GZ and there was people everywhere as it was in a busy parking lot, so we decided to go back at night. I don't consider that a DNF because we really didnt try.

I would have logged the DNF on that one anyway. A DNF log that says "Arrived at GZ shortly after noon, there were too many muggles around for us to search properly. Will try again later," provides useful information for subsequent searchers.