Howto: Please Do Not Post TB Tracking Numbers Online!

BlueDeuce

Just a request/reminder for everyone to not post the tracking number of a travel bug anywhere online. This includes caches logs, forum postings, or in photographs - even on your own bug page! The number should only be used when you are Retrieving, Grabbing, or Discovering a traveler.

There are people out there who look for these numbers and will virtually log the bug, sometimes moving it to another cache listing. If the bug is virtually logged or moved around too much, gc.com will lock the bug page down for abuse even though the bug owner isn't at fault.

If you want to reference a bug, look on upper left-hand corner of the bug page and you will see 'Use TBxxxx to reference this item'. That number can be posted online as it can't be used to log the bug.

When you photograph a bug try to position the tag so it won't show the tracking number. Otherwise you should use photo editing software (like Microsoft Paint) to erase the number from the image.

Thanks and Happy Caching!

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused and want to do this right. I retrieved a travel bug (a dog tag with a # attached to a jeep). I understand I should not type the # on the dog tag into a log or any other "permanent record" on geocache. And use the # of the tag to only "retrieve online (i.e. view) the trackable's info. How and where do I use the reference #TB1NQMX online? Where would I look up this number and why?

Thanks for the help clarifying!

Using the reference number allows others to view the travelers' page without use of the [secret] tracking number. Comes in handy when a problem arises and folks need to seek help here in the forums.

Posting the tracking number online (other than for logging) allows for unscrupulous types to post virtual/bogus logs for the traveler. Such actions can get a traveler permanently locked down by TPTB. There are many more of those types out there than you may suspect, and there is a greater number of those that just plain don't know better! Remember too, never post a photo with the tag number showing.

EDIT: The reference number is on the left side of the travelers' page. I believe it is in bold print.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Okay, so I know not to post TB #'s online and what can happen. My husband (experienced geocacher) explained that people virtually log them in without actually ever seeing them. But why??? He didn't have an answer. What's the point of that? It defeats the entire purpose and isn't fun. Are they doing it maliciously, or are they simply uninformed? It seems so stupid.

Also, I noticed TB tags for sale at REI. The numbers are visible through the clear plastic. Would these freaks actually write down those as well? If so, maybe it's safer to purchase online?

Okay, so I know not to post TB #'s online and what can happen. My husband (experienced geocacher) explained that people virtually log them in without actually ever seeing them. But why??? He didn't have an answer. What's the point of that? It defeats the entire purpose and isn't fun. Are they doing it maliciously, or are they simply uninformed? It seems so stupid.

Also, I noticed TB tags for sale at REI. The numbers are visible through the clear plastic. Would these freaks actually write down those as well? If so, maybe it's safer to purchase online?

Why do they? I can only speculate they get something out of it. I've seen people here bragging about their stats when I darn well know they got many of them by sharing tracking numbers with their buddies. I've even had offers of numbers if I share the ones I found with them. No thanks. Those people are long gone as the satisfaction level isn't enough to keep them caching.

I wouldn't worry about the tags sold at stores. If you are aware that it could happen it's easy enough to detect, for a lack of a better word, a hacker and simply delete their log. Not posting the number of a bug you own is a good practice, not posting the number of someone else's bug is very important as they might not be aware that it's a false log. Not everyone reads the forums.

Thank you, Blue Deuce. That explanation clarifies my question. While I cannot understand pumping up my stats for no reason, I suppose some people might. It just seems like an extremely boring and pointless thing to do. Hmm. Imma sit on a computer all evening and log things that have nothing to do with my actual experiences. Do not want. Logging is my least favorite part of geocaching! Just cannot fathom doing the extra busy work without actually having the fun to accompany it.

I also don't understand the thrill of "Discovering" trackables that I never actully saw. I was at Geocoinfest 2011 - Europa last week and a guy was handing out a entire page with the codes to his trackables so that others could discover them. I almost took one but then asked if I could at least look at the trackables. He said they were out in his car and did not want to bring them in. I thanked him for the offer but declined taking his paper.

Others had papers with the codes one them but also had the coins with them. I did take some of these papers but only after I enjoyed the coins.

There are all kinds of people and some don't understand or just don't care. For me it important to actully do something before I say I did.

Back on topic. I am a human trackable with a trackable tattoo. My fear is that someday someone is gonna photograph it and post it online and then it gets deactivated by GC. I sure hope this does not happen cause then I will have to get another tattoo!!

Edited by GermanyBert

Back on topic. I am a human trackable with a trackable tattoo. My fear is that someday someone is gonna photograph it and post it online and then it gets deactivated by GC. I sure hope this does not happen cause then I will have to get another tattoo!!

As long as you manage any false logs gc.com will not lock your TB.

A nice cacher wrote a Log with the TB Number of my Travel Bug.

I have already Sent a Message to him to edit the Log, but no response till now.

Is there an other Way to geht the Log editted?

Regards,

Chris

you, as the owner of the TB can either delete their log, which will not impact the mileage traveled, or permanently encrypt the log

just go and click on "visit log"

A nice cacher wrote a Log with the TB Number of my Travel Bug.

I have already Sent a Message to him to edit the Log, but no response till now.

Is there an other Way to geht the Log editted?

Regards,

Chris

you, as the owner of the TB can either delete their log, which will not impact the mileage traveled, or permanently encrypt the log

just go and click on "visit log"

Not if the tracking number is posted in the cache log. Get a mod or a reiewer to delete it .

Edited by BlueDeuce

actually i just looked at it is just the reference number not the tracking number

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=6ddb4a89-de9c-4b87-b166-7d4ee2b732ab

This was not the Travel bug, where the Tracking Number was logged, it was this one: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3547853

But in the meanwhile, the Cacher edited his log.

Thanks for the ideas, hope I will not need it again :-)

Regards,

Chris

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere.

This morning we received notification that a long lost geocoin of ours had been "discovered". My first reaction was one of joy that it was not lost after all. However, doubts were beginning to enter my mind and I decided to emailed the "finder", asking where he had discovered it.

I received this reply :-

"Hello!

I got this Trackingcode from the GC Website. At this morning I want to track an TB and i had a misstake and wrote a wrong alphabetic character.

Hope you understand. I´m from germany and my english is not the best (at this morning)."

On further investigation, I find that he has been logging numerous trackables in the same way (and is still doing it now, as his trackable count is increasing each time I look! ) I have deleted his log for our coin, but I wondered if there was anywhere I should report the matter?

In the "great scheme of things", does it matter? Am I stressing over trivialities?

Izzy

but I wondered if there was anywhere I should report the matter?

contact@geocaching.com

It's not allowed, it's improper, and it's a problem that needs to be stopped whenever found, IMMEDIATELY.

edit: sorry borked the quote

Edited by BlueDeuce

Hi there

i have indavertently included the tracking number in an image and realising the error am trying to remove the image and can;'t - any tips? thanks so much

quote name='BlueDeuce' timestamp='1288044592' post='4511814']

Just a request/reminder for everyone to not post the tracking number of a travel bug anywhere online. This includes caches logs, forum postings, or in photographs - even on your own bug page! The number should only be used when you are Retrieving, Grabbing, or Discovering a traveler.

There are people out there who look for these numbers and will virtually log the bug, sometimes moving it to another cache listing. If the bug is virtually logged or moved around too much, gc.com will lock the bug page down for abuse even though the bug owner isn't at fault.

If you want to reference a bug, look on upper left-hand corner of the bug page and you will see 'Use TBxxxx to reference this item'. That number can be posted online as it can't be used to log the bug.

When you photograph a bug try to position the tag so it won't show the tracking number. Otherwise you should use photo editing software (like Microsoft Paint) to erase the number from the image.

If that is Mum's, just go to the TB page, look for the image link lower down click on the edit button. Image displays with a column of choices on the right... select delete... it's gone. After you blur out the number on another copy of the image, upload that one in the same place / purpose. If Mum's isn't the one then you should do it anyway! :rolleyes:

BD's instructions of how to blur in your post using something like MS Paint are valid. Do make a copy first to edit like I said.

As for the quote... be careful when deleting things, Looks like you wiped out the opening quote tag or part of it. I always use preview before typing things... and cancel if I blow it, which is occasionally the case. Where there are quotes inside quotes you can work from the inside set out since it is usually the outer one you want in many cases.

Edit: Yep the first square bracket is missing.

Hope that helps.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Yeah, had to go double check that one myself. Access the bug page, scroll down to the "Gallery Images related to Mum's birthday"

Next to YOUR image should be an edit option. Click that and find the trashcan.

For example...

hulk1.jpg

hulk2.png

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've just picked up two travellers that have their tracking codes in their pictures on the trackable pages. They each have a stack of "discover" logs that say they got the codes from the Trackable Gallery on the GC website. I've messaged the owners, but I wonder if it would be a monthly project for a Lackey (or maybe a GS intern) to just flip through the gallery and delete any pics with the tracking number showing.

I would volunteer!

I have picked up a travel bug but when I went to log it, it came up as being in the hands of another geocacher. I have tried to message them but had no response. How can I log this travel bug as having been picked up from the cache in which I found it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Well I think I might be doing wrong after reading this thread. When I find a TB(which I've seen quite a few "not in cache", that bugs me) I log in to retrieve it, flip the tag over and punch in the code on the tag. I guess I'm supposed to put in the code listed on the page instead, is that right?

One other thing, is there anyway to see a list of all the TB's I have found?

Edited by prayingpheonix

No, you are doing i correctly. The TB code on the page can be seen by everyone. The code on the TB or coin is the one you can log it by. If you go to your profile page you will see a TRCKABLES tab. Click on that adn you will see all the ones you have moved or discovered. Click on the TB or coin icon and you can see the different ones your have found.

As above...

Choose the log option "Grab it from current holder..." - That brings it into your own inventory. Then, to show that it was at the cache where you found, it you can give it a 'visit' log to that cache.

MrsB :)

Thanks for your help

If you go to your profile page you will see a TRCKABLES tab. Click on that adn you will see all the ones you have moved or discovered. Click on the TB or coin icon and you can see the different ones your have found.

Ah. so I can I can, Thank you thank you very much. That is helpful and I'm glad to know I've been logging TB's correctly.

Now if we can just find a way to keep them from disappearing from caches.

Edited by prayingpheonix

I want to thank you for such a will written post. This has been a discussion in the Portland, Oregon area the last few weeks and I have been conflicted on what is right and what is wrong. You changed my view 100% I now see why it is not okay to just share the tb number. If people want to discover mine I will make them available at events or in person at my travelbug hotel(when they arrange it with me ahead of time)

I want to thank you for such a will written post. This has been a discussion in the Portland, Oregon area the last few weeks and I have been conflicted on what is right and what is wrong. You changed my view 100% I now see why it is not okay to just share the tb number. If people want to discover mine I will make them available at events or in person at my travelbug hotel(when they arrange it with me ahead of time)

With the current gc.com policies, your tracking number out there on the internet gives everyone permission to Grab or Discover your TB without consequence.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Is there somewhere that we can report this when we see it? Or should we just email the TB owner? I thought I had one, just realize I have two, TBs that have their tracking number displayed on the page. One has been virtually logged a few times, the other not...I just don't want them to get grabbed from my hands before I can leave them in a cache, or locked.

Edited by M4RKO

I may have missed it, but can someone point me to the Official rule, that says you CAN'T post trackable #'s on line, as there is a FB page that is doing this and I want to bring it to their attention, but can not find the official rule

Thanks

Coman123

Are they posting their own trakabless, ones thay found, or both? If ther person is not using their real name or geocaching name on FB then I doubt GS can even do anyhting about it. It is not against FB rules to post tracables w/theris numbers showing. But I would still report it.

You can email the owner to let them know, or you can contact the tb forum mod Eartha to see if she would be willing to contact them for you. I do appreciate that you are willing to make an effort on this issue.

I emailed the owners of the TBs I was originally talking about right away...and since then I have seen several more TBs with their tracking numbers displayed in the gallery, and I always email the owners...but not one has gotten back to me. Or fixed their gallery. So I guess I should just let it go and whatever happens to their TB happens...? I feel bad, but it's slightly irritating that they don't seem to care.