Swag "stones" : how to make them?

We've found several small (one inch diameter) glass or acrylic "stones" that are made by some cachers to leave as signature swag in caches. They are made with a rounded clear stone on top, and a small picture glued underneath, sometimes with a magnet glued to the bottom as well.

I have a terrible track record with glue, (well, using it to make craft items, no jokes please!) so I'm wondering if anyone who has made these items could share your assembly technique? Where do you buy the stones? :sad:

I made something similar to what you describe, "Once upon a time...". I picked up the flat glass marbles (or at least that sounds similar to what your describing) at a local Craft Store, and used superglue as the adhesive to afix the picture and magnet.

Just talking about them makes me want to make more :sad:

Thanks, Touchstone and Chrysalides! I looked at the links and saved them in my favorites list. The geocaching magnet pictures seem to be tiny logos for the caching team, so I'll have to get one designed for our team. We use a picture of two ducks on our cards (which we took ourselves), so I'll see if we can downsize it. I think having a supply of these little magnets for swag will work well for us, because most of the caches where we live are small sized.

Hi VanDucks!

I think you picked up one of my magnets at a cemetery recently in MD, & commented on it in your log (thank you :( )! I found a geocache logo that wasn't copyrighted & then used photo software with layers to add the wording & to place an Amish horse & buggy into the logo, since we're from Lancaster Co PA :sad: ! I picked up the clear stones at a dollar store, some are better than others. But they seem to magnify whatever you paste onto it. I printed the logos on stock paper (I originally used regular copy paper but I like the heavier stock better), then cut them out. To paste it on the stone I used a thin coat of Elmer's glue (it does dry clear). I got some magnets at Walmart & glued them on with a bit of super glue. They seem to work well & I drop one in every cache that they will fit into! People seem to like them! If you make some with your logo, I hope I get to find one!

Also, if you need any help with anything, or if you have any questions, let me know ~ glad to help!

ps-I haven't checked out those other links, but will to see if they have an easier or different way of doing this!

I have been placing these in caches since 2003 IIRC. The first ones I made I used clear 5 minute epoxy because it is clear and dries quickly. They held up well about 5 years and then I guess the difference in expansion/contraction separates the glue from the glass on some. I don't think the Elmers will last long on glass for the same reason (though for kids, it's a wise choice!)

So I have since switched to E6000 craft glue, which is clear and has some elasticity. We will have to wait another 5 years to see if it's any better.

I have always used photo paper on mine.

Also, if you put magnets on them like I do, don't set them too close together to dry if you use slower setting glue - they will attract/repel from 2 or 3 inches away from each other.

photomarbles.jpg

Edited by brdad

Hi Scallywag Grammies! Yes, we loved your magnet that we picked up on our caching trip to PA. When I realized we had found four different "stones" in caches, I knew I wanted to learn how to make them.

Thanks to all who have posted replies; so many great ideas! Geocachers have to be some of the most creative people! It's really marvelous to find something handmade in a cache. I'm going to make a run over to Michaels this weekend and get some supplies.

Brdad ~ The pictures on your stones/magnets are so clear and very pretty. I love photography so really appreciate these. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind sharing. Do you use matte or glossy paper? I'm thinking it's glossy since they are so clear and bright. I see yours go all the way to the edge (or so it seems) on the back of the stone, and it looks like it's completely covered. Do you cover the back entirely and then trim it somehow? I'd like to do that but am wondering how to make a "clean cut" on the back. Any suggestions?

THANKS for sharing yours :D