New Kid on the block HTC Wildfire

scuba_2

You won't be able to get the official app from Market. Unfortunately, in common with the HTC Tattoo and SE X10 Mini, Wildfire has a qvga screen, and the app has not been released for handsets with qvga screens.

Sheesh. It's Windows Mobile all over again. Here's hoping Groundspeak (and Android in general) can get that little problem fixed quickly.

not really an android problem, just the lower quality screen on the wildfire

The problem that Android is replicating is the multiple form-factor issue. Square screens. VGA screens. WVGA screens. Drives the developers nuts, and causes fragmentation of what products are available. Instead of a "Works on Android" you get a "Works on some Android devices" situation. I ran screaming from WinMo because of stuff like that.

I have discovered Go 4 cahhe (go4cache.com)

If you are using c geo, in the settings you can turn it on, so it displays your position on the map while c geo is running.

You can also view the map online at go4cache.com

It is really interesting to see where thethe other caches are, just a bit of fun.

Its amazing what you can do with a phone!

If you are using c geo, in the settings you can turn it on, so it displays your position on the map while c geo is running.

It is really interesting to see where thethe other caches are, just a bit of fun.

Oh noes! The App That Must Not Be Named!

Try geohunter or geobeagle (geohunter is a fork of geobeagle without the dog/bone theme going on plus some added features). Imports gpx and/or uses bcaching.com - no scrapping of the gc site or "grey area" violation of the Terms of Use.

Back on topic somewhat... I have had the best luck w/ my android phones and gps. My 3-4 most recent caches have been found w/ an Android phone and the GPS has put me right on top of them (when the cache owner's coords have been accurate, that is)

Oh noes! The App That Must Not Be Named!

Try geohunter or geobeagle (geohunter is a fork of geobeagle without the dog/bone theme going on plus some added features). Imports gpx and/or uses bcaching.com - no scrapping of the gc site or "grey area" violation of the Terms of Use.

Back on topic somewhat... I have had the best luck w/ my android phones and gps. My 3-4 most recent caches have been found w/ an Android phone and the GPS has put me right on top of them (when the cache owner's coords have been accurate, that is)

Thanks for that I will check them out.

And as for android phones It looks like they maybe starting to crack this gps in a phone thing! Its about time!

Watch out for the build quality on these HTC devices.

- My wife and I went through 6 HTC devices - 4 Vogues (Touch) and 2 Rhodiums (Touch Pro2)

- The USB port came out of three of our Vogues.

- The power button fell off of two of the Vogues, and one of the Rhodiums.

- The keyboard became very mushy on both Rhodiums

- The battery cover cracked / wouldn't fit right after 6 months on ALL SIX devices

- All four of the Vogues cracked around the case and power button - none of these were dropped

- One of the Rhodiums, the backlight inverter failed after 11 months. This happened to three other people I know.

I'm now using an iPhone, as I got tired of going back and paying for a refurb model from the carrier every 12 months.

What the heck did you do to those poor Vogues? I have climbed mountains more rugged than your most rugged mountain, ski raced, ran, and all my geocaching with one, and it is still in good shape. My wife's has a small crack, but nothing major.

Watch out for the build quality on these HTC devices.

- My wife and I went through 6 HTC devices - 4 Vogues (Touch) and 2 Rhodiums (Touch Pro2)

- The USB port came out of three of our Vogues.

- The power button fell off of two of the Vogues, and one of the Rhodiums.

- The keyboard became very mushy on both Rhodiums

- The battery cover cracked / wouldn't fit right after 6 months on ALL SIX devices

- All four of the Vogues cracked around the case and power button - none of these were dropped

- One of the Rhodiums, the backlight inverter failed after 11 months. This happened to three other people I know.

I'm now using an iPhone, as I got tired of going back and paying for a refurb model from the carrier every 12 months.

What the heck did you do to those poor Vogues? I have climbed mountains more rugged than your most rugged mountain, ski raced, ran, and all my geocaching with one, and it is still in good shape. My wife's has a small crack, but nothing major.

We didn't do anything to them. They were handled in an urban setting with proper cases and care. I was pretty shocked that we had problems, based on my other PDAs lasting for *years* without any issues.

The power buttons wore off on the Vogues, because they are pretty cheap. The case cracks are a known defect in the Vogues - particularly the Telus, Bell and Verizon ones. The USB ports coming out, was typically unplugging from the charger.... happens to Garmin Colorados too. We upgraded to the Rhodiums mid contract because Telus was getting tired of replacing them and we had a good run with those devices (until the backlight went on my wife's). I still have my Rhodium and I'm running Android on it these days for kicks but without a data plan on it.

I've found 28 chache's with my wildfire, it's way better than the handheld GPSr I had!

Whats peoples obsession with the screen? how much resolution do you want on a digital compass !

The desire costs £10 more per month and is physically bigger, like the OP I'm an engineer and need something that I have on me all the time, the wildfire ticks all the boxes!

I've found 28 chache's with my wildfire, it's way better than the handheld GPSr I had!

Whats peoples obsession with the screen? how much resolution do you want on a digital compass !

The desire costs £10 more per month and is physically bigger, like the OP I'm an engineer and need something that I have on me all the time, the wildfire ticks all the boxes!

A better screen makes a difference for photo browsing, videos, icon definition, application executuion, map images . . .

A better screen makes a difference for photo browsing, videos, icon definition, application executuion, map images . . .

I was talking in context of caching but even so, the screen is ok for all of those, given the detail of online maps I don't feel like I'm missing anything

I never understand why someone would want to watch an epic movie on a 3" screen - I've got a perfectly good 32" TV at home and if the movie is worth watching I use that! :blink:

I never understand why someone would want to watch an epic movie on a 3" screen - I've got a perfectly good 32" TV at home and if the movie is worth watching I use that! :blink:

Because Airlines frown on people dragging 32" televisions onto planes with them.

And you need a hell of a long aerial lead!!!

I was talking in context of caching but even so, the screen is ok for all of those, given the detail of online maps I don't feel like I'm missing anything

Do you not use topo maps on your phone? When I am out in the back country I load up oziExplorerCE with my topo maps. A larger screen would be nice (I have a HTC Vogue which has a smallish screen). Also, GCzII can display google maps, satallite, and terrain. I think GeoBeagle does too.

Do you not use topo maps on your phone? When I am out in the back country I load up oziExplorerCE with my topo maps. A larger screen would be nice (I have a HTC Vogue which has a smallish screen). Also, GCzII can display google maps, satallite, and terrain. I think GeoBeagle does too.

I just got an HTC Wildfire, and am thrilled with it. Yes, I was fully aware of the higher screen resolution on other models* - at a price. I looked at several Android models in the store, and yes, you can see the difference, but for my needs, the QVGA is plenty good enough so far. I am looking forward to trialling the upcoming Beta of Ozi CE for Android, to see how it runs on a QVGA Android.

I figure that if / when I get high-res-envy, I can always upgrade later. Prices will only go down, and features will go up, so for me, the Wildfire is an unbelievable value entry-level Android smartphone. For anyone who is thinking of dabbling with Android smartphones, but is a bit nervous about the costs for a high-end model, check out the Wildfire in-store if you can.

* What I REALLY wanted was the HTC Desire HD, but the cost was significantly higher for me. My phone supplier offered me a free Wildfire if I renewed my current budget plan - which I wasn't actually thinking of leaving anyway - so this was a nil-cost option for me. To go to one of the high-end options like the Desire, I would have needed a significant cash outlay and / or upgrade to a more expensive contract plan. I figured the option of a free Wildfire was a great way to experience the whole Android thing - and I am very impressed so far.

My friend has the Desire hd a lovely phone but it has a big screen and a fast processor which means the battery goes very quick.

it also cost many times more.

if I drop my wildfire in the river I will be mad but not broke!

my battery is lasting 6 hours with the screen on bright and a spare battery is only £20 so for my needs this is the wildfire is best phone.

and it does have the most accurate gps I have ever seen (phone or real gps!).

As a great diving instructor said to me "There is no right or wrong, just what works for you "

Seems like a good approach to me.

so get something that fits your style of caching.

has anybody found out where they are in stock yet?

Sim free are in stock at Amazon at £200,but not found any PAYG in stock .

I`m waiting for it to come in at Argos for £130,then will get it unlocked.

Does anyone knpw what the GPS chipset is,and is Static Nav disabled,also how is the sensitivity of the GPSr?

has anybody found out where they are in stock yet?

Sim free are in stock at Amazon at £200,but not found any PAYG in stock .

I`m waiting for it to come in at Argos for £130,then will get it unlocked.

Does anyone knpw what the GPS chipset is,and is Static Nav disabled,also how is the sensitivity of the GPSr?

Im not sure what static nav is?

but I can tell you the gps is accurate to about 1m thats better than my hand held gps !

The compass is also very good and stable, simply the best phone or gps I have seen to date.

OziExplorer CE for Android is currently in Alpha test for a select few. :P

I am pleased to report that while the Alpha release only has basic functionality so far, it works fine - and the maps are entirely legible on the HTC Wildfire's "low-res" QVGA screen. Sure, a super hi-res screen like the HTC Desire HD would be great, but it is nice to know that it is entirely possible to design sophisticated Android Apps that work fine across the whole range of supported screen resolutions. (Kudos to Des for the job so far - I can't wait for the full functionality!)

I think this is one of the great things about the Android platform: the whole concept envisions from the start that Apps to be developed to run on a wide range of platforms - from micro-screen devices (think latest generation iPod Nano sized devices with 2" square screens) right up to giant TV screens - and the free development tools support this right out of the box. Sure, it takes a tiny bit of thought on the part of the software designer to think about the how the App will look and perform on a range of screen resolutions, but honestly - it's not that hard when it's all built into the system and the developer tools.

At the risk of inciting an Apple vs Android war - does the Apple "iThingy" App development platform seamlessly support _EVERY_ Apple iDevice from the smallest iPod Nano right up to the latest Retina-screen iPhone and iPads? How about the _NEXT_ generation of "iThings" - do you think current iPod / iPhone / iPad Apps will be supported on a 40" iTV or 400" iCinema? :huh:

Edited by julianh

My freiend and I were having problems with the compass in our mobile phones.

They had been very accurate but now pointed a totaly different direction!

Well after a while we finaliy found the cause, magnets in the phone cases we had bought!

if you take the phone out of the case and re calibrate it it works fine.

but when you put the phone back in and leave it for a while it will un calerbraite the compass again.

I have now removed the magnets from the case job done.

The best way of re calibrating is to place phone on a flat surface and rotate 3 times, then turn over 3 times sidways, then turn over 3 times lengh ways, this re sets each direction sensor. (thanks to Gadgyt for comming up with this one).

Magnets can also pull the compass off course just while the unit is to close to them.Even from 15 inches away!

In our research we found that sitting in the car, magnets in the door speakers also afected the compass.

The case magnets were found to affect the compass from 15 inches so have a look at what you are carrying and if it is affecting anything.

one last one, dont stand under power lines ! the compass will be all over the place!!!!

Hope this Helps cheers

A phone with a gps that really works good to 2m!!!!

As an engineer I an on the road and wanted to cache on the move I tried an Iphone 4 and the gps was 40 to 80 feet out! then the samsung Galaxy s came out and I thought yes, but no alass the gps doesn't work and they have not managed to fix it yet.

I was just starting to think I would have to take up knitting or somthing when this little Gem came along.

you really are going to have to go some to match this. see my days caching bellow

It is amazing the gps is accurate to 2m as good as my hand held gps, I have been out today the gps did not loose its lock it 6 hours of caching! I only stopped when the battery went flat!

the screen is very clear and ronning c:geo it gives loud voice comands when being used as a sat nav on the way to the next cache (turn by turn nav ) a feature thats missing from the Iphone app.

I am a very hard to please person but by god they seem to have done it!!!

Oh and it only cost £160 so it was cheaper than a gps!

You say it was cheaper than a GPS but I managed to pick up a brand new unopened Garmin GPSmap 60csx off ebay for £124! It is so much better than my old eTrex Legend and EXTREMELY accurate and sensitive. I mean it gets a fix on the ground floor of my house when it isn't near a window! :laughing:

As an engineer I an on the road and wanted to cache on the move I tried an Iphone 4 and the gps was 40 to 80 feet out! then the samsung Galaxy s came out and I thought yes, but no alass the gps doesn't work and they have not managed to fix it yet.

I was just starting to think I would have to take up knitting or somthing when this little Gem came along.

you really are going to have to go some to match this. see my days caching bellow

It is amazing the gps is accurate to 2m as good as my hand held gps, I have been out today the gps did not loose its lock it 6 hours of caching! I only stopped when the battery went flat!

the screen is very clear and ronning c:geo it gives loud voice comands when being used as a sat nav on the way to the next cache (turn by turn nav ) a feature thats missing from the Iphone app.

You say it was cheaper than a GPS but I managed to pick up a brand new unopened Garmin GPSmap 60csx off ebay for £124! It is so much better than my old eTrex Legend and EXTREMELY accurate and sensitive. I mean it gets a fix on the ground floor of my house when it isn't near a window! :laughing:

Thats cool, but my reason for needing a phone is, im caching on the run,and never know where Im going be trying to grab a cache.

Thats cool, but my reason for needing a phone is, im caching on the run,and never know where Im going be trying to grab a cache.

If a phone works for what you need and is accurate, then great. I was just pointing out that it is possible to get a gps for that sort of price. :)

Really good news

Today I got the upgrade to the software 2.2 is here for the wildfire, and its great the gps now gets a lock even in the house!

the programs run faster and yet to be confirmed the battery is supposed to last even longer.

The best just got better!!!!!! :D:D:D

IT just got better now you can have offline maps and put your PQs on your phone!

Well at last I can download open street maps to use offline with my android phone!

There is an app called Locus maps this allows you to view online maps ,and now download them as well.

when downloading I would sugest selecting zoom levels 1 upto 23 as level 24 takes 4 times as much memory and you dont really need it.

You can also put gpx files into the locus directory on your phone and they are displayed on the map.

Locus can display cache details , description and logs without the need for another geocaching app on your phone.

If you use G:geo any list (nearest caches , stored caches etc) can be displayed on external map ( press menu display on externay map then pick locus)

Once a map is saved on your phone it can be copied off of the sd card onto your pc and shared it takes a while for ech map to be created by your phone so sharing is good. :D :D :D

There is a program to run on a pc for making maps to be displayed on Locus instead of doing it on your phone but I have not tested that yet, it's called

Mobile Atlas Creator