Northernmost Megaevent ever?

small oaks

The furthest north Mega-Event I'm aware of is Mega Scotland (GC1XDQ0) held this past summer at N 56° 23.674 W 003° 26.628.

There is an event scheduled for this upcoming March in Finland (GC2G855) which will be at N 61° 28.352 E 023° 44.324. Buuuuut, I'm guessing you already knew that :sad:

Well, I wasn't sure. That's why the question.
Well, I wasn't sure. That's why the question.

I just meant that you probably knew about the upcoming Finnish event, since I saw your name marked as "Will Attend" when I was checking it out :sad:

Yes ofcourse, but didn't knew if it would be the northernmost Mega-Event:) Fortunately that cool March event is actually held in August.

Fortunately that cool March event is actually held in August.

Oh, interesting. You should contact the organizers to change the listing date to match the date in the description (which you're telling me is the correct date). Currently, when you access the page, at the top it claims:

Event Date: Sunday, 20 March 2011
Fortunately that cool March event is actually held in August.

Oh, interesting. You should contact the organizers to change the listing date to match the date in the description (which you're telling me is the correct date). Currently, when you access the page, at the top it claims:

Event Date: Sunday, 20 March 2011

Unfortunately the date cannot be fixed until Groundspeak gives Mega-Event status. Here are the rules:

1) An event cache may be published 3 months beforehand.

2) A local/national cache reviewer may extend this period of time up to six months.

3) The cache listing form simply does not accept any dates which are further than six months in the future.

4) An event cache with Mega Status may be published up to 12 month beforehand.

Of course, we requested that GS would give us a Mega Status in advance. Well, they did not, but they allowed the Finnish cache reviewers to publish this event "too early". It was published roughly 10,5 months before the (actual) event date.

GS promised to watch the situation (read: follow the development of the number of Will attend logs).

There are now more than 450 Will attend logs, which is more than any of the published Mega-Event Caches has, with the exception of GeoWoodstock, though. At this point I'd like to remind everybody that the Mega status does not need 500 nicks but 500 people. 450 Will attend logs in a family and children friendly event means more than 700 people.

We have asked the Headquarters to (i) acknowledge the amazing popularity, (ii) give the Tampere event a Mega status and (iii) fix the date. This far we have not got any answer but we certainly do hope that GS would take some action soon.

Milka Sunell

GeoEvent Finland