Would you or wouldn't you?

slowdownracer

I opened my e-mail today to find that 2 geocachers, at an event in Savannah, GA, have "discovered" one of my activated coins. Funny thing is, the coin is still in my personal collection, activated for discovery only at events, and is kept "electronically" in an old archived cache page for safe keeping. Check reference number TB10F7K.

It's easy to understand how this can happen. You write the wrong number down, or someone prints a list of their coin's codes to pass out and it has a typo. I doubt anything mischievous is going on, unless anyone can think of something I haven't thought of.

Anyway, I think it's kinda funny and it doesn't bother me at all. But should I send these 2 geocachers an e-mail and tell them they logged the wrong coin and therefore have the wrong icon? What if I get more notices over the next few days? Help me on this one everyone.

Would you or wouldn't you?

Don't forget that a duplicate tracking number could exist. I had that happen with an unactivated coin in my collection. Seems the same tracking code was used on a different coin edition made over a year later.

Well that's not right either, but it figures.

You would think with over 78 billion possible combinations of 7-digit codes using numbers and letters that there wouldn't be duplicates, but if they are being computer generated, there's your answer.

Anyone else seen this problem too?

I was at an event recently and wrote down a coin code apparently incorrectly. Turns out that the coin code I wrote down was an activated coin, in a personal collection in Europe. I logged it as 'discovered' but wrote that apparently I had the wrong code written down. A couple of days later the owner of the coin I had logged deleted my log. It was understandable since I didn't actually discover that coin.

When that happens to me , and it does, I send the logging cacher an email telling they have logged the wrong coin and that I will delete the log. I also give them a hint about the O/0, B/8 and so.

Some have said thank you, some have not said anything and one told me it wsas only a test.

Sometimes it happens that a cacher takes photos of the number and then it accidently is shown on the internet somewhere so people can log it that way. It has not been the case for me but I often see trackingnumbers on photos, but I never log them that way because that is not allowed.

grodan Karin

Someone might be passing out your tracking number on a paper list. If it is a bogus discovery, delete the log. If they are curious as to why it was deleted, they will write to you and ask. Then you can find out if it was a mistaken code. If they don't write to you, they know they shouldn't have logged it virtually, and probably won't contact you at all.

Someone could also have posted a photo online somewhere, showing the tracking code. Those are harder to get rid of if you don't know who posted it. Delete all virtual logs anyway.

Don't forget that a duplicate tracking number could exist. I had that happen with an unactivated coin in my collection. Seems the same tracking code was used on a different coin edition made over a year later.

Well that's not right either, but it figures.

You would think with over 78 billion possible combinations of 7-digit codes using numbers and letters that there wouldn't be duplicates, but if they are being computer generated, there's your answer.

Anyone else seen this problem too?

Yes, I have a Look Lwice coin that was engraved with a number that belongs to a Mimbres coin. It's most likely some data entry error at the engraving step. Some poor coiner is going to try activating their Mimbres coin one day only to find that it's already activated. Maybe I should have GS cancel the activation and then destroy the coin?