Aztec Puzzle Moon Geocoin

Team kizb

I typed "aztec puzzle moon geocoin" into my favorite search engine and found the pre-sale that you mentioned. I am on their mailing list, so I am not sure why I haven't received an e-mail from them regarding the pre-sale.

Anyway, I have always been very happy with that company, but the price of $63.95 is a real turn off. The set is described as being eight pieces that make two coins and I would have been happier if I could buy just one four-piece coin for $32. I love moon images, but I am less fond of Aztec themes, so I will need to decide whether to go for this pre-sale.

I spoke too soon. I looked further and you can buy a single four-piece coin for $35.49. That is still a lot of money, but I might go for it.

On the positive side, the price will still keep many people away, which should make this a rarer coin.

I don't think there are many "rare" coins being minted today. If a coin sells well, it is re-minted to meet demand.

as I read it, each set consists of four trackable items

I'd say that the pricing is reasonable

each item in a four-coin set is just under $9 each

and if you get the combined full set, it works out to under $8 per trackable item

Indeed, that is true, however, I doubt that I would split it, so I would be getting one unit for $35.50. Often when I buy coins, I get just one. I have to really like it to get more than one finish and spend that kind of money.

I have one other issue with the coin. This is similar to how people complained that the plant on my coin was inaccurate and I grow more sympathetic to that complaint.

The coin talks about the four phases of the moon. In no way does the moon have four phases. It actually has eight phases:

New moon

Waxing crescent

First quarter (half moon)

Waxing gibbous

Full moon

Waning gibbous

last quarter

waning crescent

Maybe we could say that the four are new, crescent, gibbous, and full, but this is not what the coin shows. It shows, waning crescent, waxing fat crescent, full moon, waning fat crescent. The fat crescents are completely inaccurate because the moon phases never make that shape. The only time you would see a shape like that is during a lunar eclipse and the coin talks about phases and not an eclipse. It looks like the person making the coin knew that there must be a phase between crescent and full and didn't bother to check and see what it actually looks like.

The coin is a scientific nightmare, but it still has a lot going for it and I might get it.

I don't think there are many "rare" coins being minted today. If a coin sells well, it is re-minted to meet demand.

My thinking is that demand would be low for a coin like this due to its price. It might be in demand decades later, long after the mold has been lost. Collectable items that later become valuable are often the ones that no one wanted at the time and few were made. However, the item still needs to have an appeal. Even though the coin is a scientific disaster, it has a definite charm to it that could grow with time.

My thinking is that demand would be low for a coin like this due to its price. It might be in demand decades later, long after the mold has been lost. Collectable items that later become valuable are often the ones that no one wanted at the time and few were made. However, the item still needs to have an appeal. Even though the coin is a scientific disaster, it has a definite charm to it that could grow with time.

Geocoin collecting is a fairly new hobby. Many of the people who started collecting before me and around the same time have long sold their collections and left the hobby. As often happens, when things are supplied to demand, the collectible aspect wanes. Beanie babies are a good example of that.

What I see happening now is that coins have already had their day in the sun. I'm seeing more and more of the aluminum trackables being made. Most people who want a personal sig item anymore are not doing personal geocoins. They are doing the little inexpensive tags.

So if Geocoins are in demand and collectible decades from now, then my grandkids are all set.

The best bet is to buy what you like, and not worry about rarity. In the coming decades, they will all be rare. With many geocoins getting lost in the wild, and many just disappear, the minting numbers of most of the coins are pretty small, and what remains will put them all in a rare category.

But don't discount the buying power of the geocoin community. It may seem like $35 is a lot for a coin, but it isn't alot for 4 coins. I'm sure there will be plenty of these coins minted and they will be placed in the store when pre-orders are delivered.

The best bet is to buy what you like, and not worry about rarity. In the coming decades, they will all be rare. With many geocoins getting lost in the wild, and many just disappear, the minting numbers of most of the coins are pretty small, and what remains will put them all in a rare category.

But don't discount the buying power of the geocoin community. It may seem like $35 is a lot for a coin, but it isn't alot for 4 coins. I'm sure there will be plenty of these coins minted and they will be placed in the store when pre-orders are delivered.

Yes, I buy what I like and I don't expect geocoins to increase in value during my lifetime. I am curious to know how many coins usually sell. I know that the Geocoin Club has limited editions of less than 200 coins and they seem to be having trouble selling those 200, because I have seen them being substantially reduced in price. I have only been at this a year, so I have not seen the longer term trends. Does anyone know how many coins (all plating and color versions) are sold for designs made by the larger companies such as CC and CP?

I can see that some geocoin collectors have deep pockets, but how many? I would like to know how many of the four-part coins sell.

About coins being lost, I only consider them lost if they are destroyed or corrode very badly. A coin that is stolen from a cache could easily show up fifty years later. As I have written many time before, I am attracted to these coins for their artistic beauty, their longevity, and their trackability.

Edited by GregsonVaux

img8770b.jpg

img8772lf.jpg

The coin arrived today and I have to say that it really looks nice! The gold moons on the enameled side are just spectacular and the crescent moons being part of the puzzle shape is a nice touch. I'll say it again, it looks great.

The funny thing is that while each piece has a tracking number, the coin must be assembled before it will say "track at geocaching.com" two of the coins say nothing, while one says "track at" and the other says "geocaching.com". The coin is really more of a collection piece than a traveler.

All in all, now that I am minting a coin, I am much more sympathetic to what an effort it is. I really wish that I had been more positive in my earlier posts.

I ordered one.

Anyone know where I can see the 4 icons?

There is also an icon for the entire piece?

I just checked and as of today, the custom icons have not been loaded, so you still see the generic icons. Were custom icons promised? By the way, four icons would cost $600. Has the coin seller decided not to provide them after all?

I ordered one.

Anyone know where I can see the 4 icons?

There is also an icon for the entire piece?

I just checked and as of today, the custom icons have not been loaded, so you still see the generic icons. Were custom icons promised? By the way, four icons would cost $600. Has the coin seller decided not to provide them after all?

I noticed just today that the custom icons have been entered into the system and they are nice. This coin continues to get better.