Arduino based geocaches

Team K1W1

I am wondering how may Arduino based geocaches are out there.

I have a puzzle box built with an Arduino - CacheDuino and know of a couple of others.

The Dragon Puzzle by icknay and Pendeli Woodpecker by r10n who is also working on other Arduino based caches. Any others?

Cheers

Team K1W1

very cool - I'd be way too scared of having it stolen to put one out anywhere, but I was thinking it would be a cool platform to build a cache around.

Color me clueless. What is this "Arduino" thing of which you speak?

Arduino

Still a bit unclear on the concept -- seems to be sort of programming language. (It didn't come up when I googled.) Is the novelty that the cache container does novel things when opened or what? Perhaps an interface directly with my GPSr or handheld?

Please be gentle, we aren't all techies. Perhaps you can describe HOW this app is actually being used in the referenced caches. (It won't help me with these puzzles, since I'm over 2000 km from them. Still, not looking for you to be a spoiler.)

It's a small inexpensive microcontroller - basically a small computer that has inputs that can read data from things like a GPS, switches, temp or light sensors etc and outputs which can control things like servo's, LCD displays, LED's etc. It's programmed with a C like language.

In the case of my puzzle cache the Arduino reads data from the GPS and calculates how far the box is from a pre-programmed set of waypoints. Depending on the distance the box will open or display how far away you are.

In a nutshell - it's a small computer that allows you to create some fairly cool puzzle caches.

Arduino

Still a bit unclear on the concept -- seems to be sort of programming language. (It didn't come up when I googled.) Is the novelty that the cache container does novel things when opened or what? Perhaps an interface directly with my GPSr or handheld?

Please be gentle, we aren't all techies. Perhaps you can describe HOW this app is actually being used in the referenced caches. (It won't help me with these puzzles, since I'm over 2000 km from them. Still, not looking for you to be a spoiler.)

It's a small inexpensive microcontroller - basically a small computer that has inputs that can read data from things like a GPS, switches, temp or light sensors etc and outputs which can control things like servo's, LCD displays, LED's etc. It's programmed with a C like language.

In the case of my puzzle cache the Arduino reads data from the GPS and calculates how far the box is from a pre-programmed set of waypoints. Depending on the distance the box will open or display how far away you are.

In a nutshell - it's a small computer that allows you to create some fairly cool puzzle caches.

Arduino

I've never thought to use an Arduino board that way. Off the top of my head I can think of all kinds of great ideas. To the shop!

I have a "hangman" game puzzle cache ready to place. It's an arduino based game with LCD readout.

Get the word correct and the LCD will display the final coordinates, get it wrong and you get another word/chance.

There is another local cacher with a "reverse geocache" puzzle ready to go too. I had a change to beta test it a week or so ago.

I have a "hangman" game puzzle cache ready to place. It's an arduino based game with LCD readout.

Get the word correct and the LCD will display the final coordinates, get it wrong and you get another word/chance.

There is another local cacher with a "reverse geocache" puzzle ready to go too. I had a change to beta test it a week or so ago.

Call ME clueless now...how does a "reverse geocache" work?

Call ME clueless now...how does a "reverse geocache" work?

I think the concept started from this:

http://arduiniana.or...o-cache-puzzle/

Basically, you push a button on a device that tells you how far you are from the target coords. You then go to another place and push the button again. You get another reading telling you how far you are away from the coords at this point in time. From here, you can solve the puzzle in at least two different ways - one efficient but requiring technology and knowledge, another way is not so efficient but could be done on the ground without any extra knowledge. When you push the button while being close enough to the target coords, the box opens (as opposed to giving a distance reading).

I have an active geocache based loosely on this concept but it doesn't use Arduino (or anything field-based). The prospect is intriguing though, I've been watching this thread for a while and the itch to do something with an Arduino board is building :)

Edited by JeremyR

I have an idea for an arduino-powered traditional geocache I already posted in the arduino forum. I'd love to do this myself, but since I'm in the middle of a big city I can't find the right spot to pull this off anywhere near me where I could maintain it.

Here's the idea:

You make a plastic cache-container that can close with a servo from the inside like my reverse geocache. You'll add an arduino, some kind of display mounted in the lid and an rfid reader with the antenna on the bottom of the container. For power supply I'd add a 9V battery holder that can be accessed from the outside.

Then you hide the cachebox in a place from where you can see two distinct landmarks (a bench, some kind of tree stump, etc.). In the cache listing you'll tell the people to bring a 9V battery.

When the cacher finds the cache it won't open. They insert the 9V battery and the display says 'put me on the red mark on the bench behind you'.

I have an idea for an arduino-powered traditional geocache. I'd love to do this myself, but since I'm in the middle of a big city I can't find the right spot to pull this off anywhere near me where I could maintain it.

There's an rfid card glued under that spot and when the cacher puts the box there the reader sees the rfid and the display says 'Put me on the treestump 200 meters north of here - you have 40 seconds... '. A countdown from 50 begins.

If the cacher does't put the box on the rfid chip in the tree stump within the 50 seconds he has to start over (put it on the bench). If he makes it the box says 'Now back to the bench, you got 35 seconds' and the countdown starts.

If he makes it back to the bench in time the box opens. To close it again he has to take out the battery and put it in again or put the box on a third rfid chip.

Would be real fun if you would install that somewhere where you could watch the people running around :)

You could also add more rfid stations or make them run faster. If you find a spot where there's something like a grid with different field on the ground (like these giant chess boards in parks) you could also make out a kind of puzzle where you have to place the box on different fields with rfids buried in them due to hints on the display. Like just displaying 'A3-D5-F3' with the chess board.

Edited by pannen

Cool idea, but a bit expensive with a rfid reader for about $30 and a servo for about $20 :(

Here is a cheaper one:

A LDR is placed on the box and the box is unlocked if that LDR receive enough light. It should not be triggered by daylight, but only by direct sunlight or very bright lamp. The box should be hidden in a dark place, so powering the box should not unlock it automatically :) The place can be marked as a 'night cache' so sunlight could not accidentally ruin the mystery. In that case the geocacher should bring its own flashlight, but I assume since it is a "night cache" it is fairly obvious.

Additionally there can be a LED array that would reflect the amount of received light (1 bar for no light, 2 bars for very little light... 5 bars for strong light, 6 bars for unlocking enough light) and serves as a hint. Additionally there can be an eye painted on the box and the LDR in the middle of it and there could be a hint like "Blind the guardian to clear your path to the treasure" :)

The cheap unlocking is a bit mystery to me. Maybe put a electromagnetic lock, but I don't know. I haven't seen such locks in the stores and I don't know of their price... Any ideas here?

Edited by ivanatora

Cool idea, but a bit expensive with a rfid reader for about $30 and a servo for about $20 :(

Where do you buy your components?

RFID-Reader: 18$ - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140499984802

Servo: 3$ - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260687498226

LCD-Display: 4$ - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320537704468

Battery holder: 3$ - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320558885963

Aduino-Clone: 19$ - http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250756721952

Building a cool cachebox: priceless :)

Where do you buy your components?

That are prices here in Bulgaria :( Most of the electronic stores sell only basic stuff. Stores that sells interesting stuff import it from Sparkfun or other foreign shops and it seems they put quite an overcharge...

Are these real prices on eBay? I mean... are these things really *working*? :) Servos for $1 seems too cheap for me...

Edited by ivanatora

Are these real prices on eBay? I mean... are these things really *working*? :) Servos for $3 seems too cheap for me...

Yes, it's the same stuff you get at your local electronics store, you just buy them directly from shenzen/china. I ordered a lot of components that way.

Sometimes it takes some weeks for the packets to arrive. One of about 25-30 orders didn't arrive and I got my money back immediately. If you pay by paypal you're covered anyway. In Germany you don't have to pay import taxes on packets with a value under 22 Euros, so there aren't any additional costs.

I never had any defects - I ordered the RFID reader from my post a few weeks ago and it works great with the arduino without any additional components and has a very good antenna.

I also got 6 of the cheap servos and they're of good quality and are working flawless.

Another good place to order cheap electronics directly from china is this site: http://www.dealextreme.com

So get out your soldering iron :)

Edited by pannen

I've got the parts. Here's my idea.. it is based on two ideas I've seen here in the forums over the last two weeks. A cache that REQUIRES teamwork with one or more other people. A cache that makes use of Arduino.

I've got three control units. One master and two slaves. The master has a push button and an LCD display. The two slaves contain just a push button. Three cachers each must bring your own 9v battery. All three geocachers must connect their battery and then simultaneously hold down their push buttons. The master listens and when all three buttons pushed, coords for final display on the screen at the master.

A couple of bugs I am working out.. proof of concept works in the basement. Need to determine maximum range of my Arduino wireless devices. Ideally I'd like the three control units 250' apart. Need to determine a way that a single cacher can't cheat.. like taping down the other two buttons. Use of momentary switches might work but other ideas?

I've got the parts. Here's my idea.. it is based on two ideas I've seen here in the forums over the last two weeks. A cache that REQUIRES teamwork with one or more other people. A cache that makes use of Arduino.

I've got three control units. One master and two slaves. The master has a push button and an LCD display. The two slaves contain just a push button. Three cachers each must bring your own 9v battery. All three geocachers must connect their battery and then simultaneously hold down their push buttons. The master listens and when all three buttons pushed, coords for final display on the screen at the master.

A couple of bugs I am working out.. proof of concept works in the basement. Need to determine maximum range of my Arduino wireless devices. Ideally I'd like the three control units 250' apart. Need to determine a way that a single cacher can't cheat.. like taping down the other two buttons. Use of momentary switches might work but other ideas?

Great idea! You could use a capacitive sensor instead of a pushbutton (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/CapacitiveSensor).

Can't be cheated that easily and you don't have any mechanical parts.

Great idea! You could use a capacitive sensor instead of a pushbutton (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/CapacitiveSensor).

Can't be cheated that easily and you don't have any mechanical parts.

Hey, I like that idea. I noticed touch sensor shields fpr sale too, and as obvious as it is, didn't dawn on me.

Have a look at what the cache "r10n" has made:

http://electricgeocaching.blogspot.com/2010/09/gemini-puzzle-caches.html

Have a look at what the cache "r10n" has made:

http://electricgeocaching.blogspot.com/2010/09/gemini-puzzle-caches.html

OMG.. uncanny. I swear, I thought of the idea myself. I guess sweet minds think alike. :D

There's a great article in the current issue of make magazine about a reverse geocache...honestly it is what made me look up geocaching in the first place :)

Searching the site for Arduino caches and found this !

r10n has also made but due to his relocation removed this cache GC2NQ9A.

It was so interesting that we have to rebuild and reinstall a same telephone - Arduino based device.

The hunter has to go to the given coordinates where he finds a phone( the classic black with pulse rotary dialer and heavy handset).

By inserting a 9v external battery, he hears dialing sound.

If he dials any other than the correct number gets an error sound!

He must go somewhere else, get the right code and return to place.

By using the correct code a voice gives the coordinates of the final box, so he has to remove the battery and go to get it !

The recreated cache is GC48NQ3.

I have also build a beer-bottle enclosed, Arduino device, that when you open the cap starts to send Morse signal sounds that give the final coords for the treasure box. But that has to wait in the shelf until I go to my summer house area.

If anyone needs info's I will help, anyway I can !

Awesome I'm glad that others. I have a couple series planned ("Required 2xAA", "Ever lick a 9v?", and "Need a jump!") all based around the Arduino and electronics.

Two AA batteries are not going to start the Arduino unless you use special circuit, that transforms 3v to the required 5v.

But that is consuming a little more power.

Personally I prefer to use the 9v batteries with an LM7805+a small filtering capacitor. It works fine, and if you add the suggestion "bring your battery!" in the description page, you cover the case of battery out!

I would like to hear for your ideas, and maybe we can cooperate in some of mine. If you like the idea send me e-mail.

After the first 200 caches Tupperware hunting becomes boring !

If you are considering a RF based cache and can program in C, which is basically the same as programming the Arduino, do an internet search for "wixel". It is a C programmable device that has a built in RF transceiver and sells for less than $20 in the US. No waiting for Chinese clones from Ebay. It beats an Arduino and external radio module in cost, size, ease of use and ease of ordering. I have a couple and think they are brilliant. Perhaps the learning curve is a little higher but in my opinion the benefits far exceed the cost of the learning curve.

Two AA batteries are not going to start the Arduino unless you use special circuit, that transforms 3v to the required 5v.

Personally I prefer to use the 9v batteries with an LM7805+a small filtering capacitor. It works fine, and if you add the suggestion "bring your battery!" in the description page, you cover the case of battery out!

I would like to hear for your ideas, and maybe we can cooperate in some of mine. If you like the idea send me e-mail.

True, I was planning on it. All of them will have any "tools required." The "Need a jump" series will require a car (or at least a 12v battery) and jumper cables!

Some of the "2xAA" series will be Arduino free. Think along the lines of using arcade buttons, jumpers, and switches which turns on an LED, buzzer, vibrating motor or pops a solenoid.

I'll also include any of the higher powered ideas in the "2xAA" series. Most 9v struggle to put out 500mAH. Plus most cachers normally have 2xAA on them in GPSr/flashlights.

A few I can remember (long list is at home) these could be used as a Multi-stage or on their own;

"Konami Code" anyone in there 20-30s might know it offhand, NES controller in an ammo, enter the right code and you win!

"Button masher" same setup as the "Konami Code" only it's how fast can you mash the buttons, add an analog meter with humors sayings to kick it up a notch.

Simon games can be found for cheap/free and the travel versions are small, the code for the game is out there (recently picked up a ATmega328 based kit and both Kaiteko and myself can beat it easily, I need more testing to set a reasonable level)

"Lights out" using LED backed arcade buttons

"High Score" Space invaders scaled down to play on a cheap monochrome display (less than $15 these days)

Old gameboy and some inspiration and make up games...

Wavesheild (watch the video) might be fun for role-playing multi add a keypad and you have a recipe for a fun 'secret mission' where you get codes to enter for the next clue (kids and parents would love it!) of course I wouldn't use a full arduino board under it, but I wouldn't for any of these :)

Arduinos can be used as webservers and with a smartphone in hand this could open up even more fun!

I have more ideas than time...

Awesome I'm glad that others. I have a couple series planned ("Required 2xAA", "Ever lick a 9v?", and "Need a jump!") all based around the Arduino and electronics.

I've been using these 5v boosters:

https://solarbotics.com/product/19210/

The same product is available from SparkFun

Cheers

Two AA batteries ...... It works fine, and if you add the suggestion "bring your battery!" in the description page, you cover the case of battery out!

I've been using these 5v boosters:

https://solarbotics.com/product/19210/

The same product is available from SparkFun

Cheers

Right ! But for me the 5.75$ + mail cost, will add to the total amount much more than a replacement battery. Probably a better solution is to include a four AA battery holder with 2 diodes in series. You then solve two problems: Power is still 5v and 2AA batteries + 2 more is easier to obtain from the spares and your GPS, camera or flashlight. Even, the hunter can carry two more and then remove and keep them.

Of course it is not big money, but you can invest the amount in something else like next project or more fancy features.

I got one cpu geocache, i used the MEGA cpu chip directly, not the arduino board to save money,

I simply blink a code (morse) power supply on/off to a little cheap pen laser,

i put the laser inside a tube, so you can not see where the light come from,

the seeker finds a blinking laser spot away, decode it, and continue to the next steps near by

I got one cpu geocache, i used the MEGA cpu chip directly, not the arduino board to save money,

I simply blink a code (morse) power supply on/off to a little cheap pen laser,

i put the laser inside a tube, so you can not see where the light come from,

the seeker finds a blinking laser spot away, decode it, and continue to the next steps near by

The same with my devices. The only problem with this is that you must feed the circuit with power, continuously. Batteries will not last.

Or you can wire up a button and relay. That button can be hiding somewhere, and energize the circuit. After a logical time of continuous repeat of the Morse code, the relay will open with the use of a spare output pin and cut the power consumption. It is a very easy to follow schematic.

The ATMEL628 chip, and the bare arduino design, was so small that it fitted in a bottle of beer. Three batteries, a switch that energizes when the bottle cap ( those with wire on the cork, that open and close again) is opened, and a small crystal-speaker from a PC mother board, are the electronic part of the cache that will be placed in my summer house area in few months.

Supposed to be the lost SOS signal (or something like that!) and the final transmission of the ship's crew...

What is the GC code of your cache ?

Edited by Mimhs.gr

My Arduino caches..

- Morse coded message emitted through a piezo buzzer. (looks like someone above has also done this)

- Pulsating infrared sensor.. bring a remote control from home.

- Hall effect sensor.. only your magnet will crack the code.

- Orientation sensor.. only when you hold up the cache container like binoculars will the coords be revealed.

- Pin pad.. only if you collect the codes from other caches and enter them in the pin pad will the coords be revealed.

- and my favorite, radio transmitter and receiver that more or less makes the Teamwork Required icon accurate.

Another I have in the works is a night cache that can't be completed during the day.. it utilizes an RTC circuit. For all of my circuits I use the Chinese knock-offs of the Arduino Nano. It's MUCH cheaper than using name brand stuff.

This topic spurred me to finally try out my Sparkfun kit. It has basic projects and the code is given to you. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's not really floating my boat and it's very hard on my eyes (tiny holes, parts, and bad eyes are not a good mix). Maybe if I was retired and had more free time to learn more, but my eyes will be worse by that time! Ha ha.

Hats off to those who create caches with this--extra time, effort, and $.

This topic spurred me to finally try out my Sparkfun kit. It has basic projects and the code is given to you. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's not really floating my boat and it's very hard on my eyes (tiny holes, parts, and bad eyes are not a good mix). Maybe if I was retired and had more free time to learn more, but my eyes will be worse by that time! Ha ha.

Hats off to those who create caches with this--extra time, effort, and $.

Don't wait until you are retired! Learn now. You probably can overcome bad eyes now with proper glasses the tiny holes and parts with magnifying glass, but more important is learning and creating new thinks. Nobody knows what technology will be in the future. They probably could fix bad eyes but a lazy, unused mind doesn't seem so possible to cure!

Try, learn and you will be rewarded. Not by favorite stars, but from your achievements! :D

Mount them so that they cannot be moved close together

Mount them so that they cannot be moved close together

Wow, I posted that in 2011? I am already on my second generation device.

There Is No I In Team