Rubber rand on Garmin eTrex Legend

The rubber rand around my Legend HCx is coming loose. I know this has been a problem on the eTrex units. I searched but didn't find a suitable post. I am curious how others got this resolved on their units. I have contacted Garmin and they want me to send in the unit for the exchange of a refurbished unit at a cost of about 50 bucks. This seems a little excessive just for a freaking rubber band. :D What have you done?

Thanks in advance.

The rubber rand around my Legend HCx is coming loose. I know this has been a problem on the eTrex units. I searched but didn't find a suitable post. I am curious how others got this resolved on their units. I have contacted Garmin and they want me to send in the unit for the exchange of a refurbished unit at a cost of about 50 bucks. This seems a little excessive just for a freaking rubber band. :D What have you done?

Thanks in advance.

$50, they wanted $160 in canada to send to raytech.

how did i resolve the problem? i bought a 62s

I just fixed mine 2 months ago. Waited until all the glue got gummy. Then removed the band. Rubbed both the backside of the band and the case mating surface with isopropyl alcohol, let dry, tested. If still tackey, repeat until ALL the glue is off. Then smeared the case with clear silicone adhedsive sealant. (Loctite 221240 if you care) Be careful tio line up the button pips correctly. Then placed in the car until it no longer smelled like solvent. So far no loosening at all. A word of warning: under the rubber band is a thin clear strip of tape. DO NOT REMOVE IT i suspect it's the actual weather seal.

Yep, I used some of that Goo Gone stuff to get rid of the old worthless glue and then used silicone adhesive. No problems since.

If you have Garmin fix it, the same problem will crop up a few months later because they just keep using the same worthless glue.

Do it right. Fix it yourself.

I just got a reply asking for the band & tape.. (the tape is a super-strong piece of double-sided tape, on a 'decal' CAD-Cut sheet (like they use in body shops to made CAD-Cut labels.) I got one a few years back, free for a Legend (clear-blue). But.... when I asked a year back, they wanted me to call for ordering replacements to the 3 (Venture-HC, Legend HCx & Summit-HC) I have. I re-sent the question, NOW.... they want me to send the entire GPSr to their service center for repair. Apparently someone is saying one thing, someone is saying another..

I have to agree, it is a defect. If a GPSr loses its seal this easily, it is a defect. And being such, Garmin should replace free of charge. (or, on bulk orders, like my 3, at a substantial discount, at least I'd pay for the shipping.) But, recall, for repair? Ummmm.. no.

I wasn't sure how critical it was to have the original type adhesive...

More to the point, if you don't want to have to go through this exercise again down the road, it's critical that you don't have the original type adhesive!

As someone else said, Very good point!

The problem I see, is the adhesive itself turns from the thin layer super-sticky, into a thicker layer, gum. The band itself, tends to expand with some kind of contaminant.

On the three I mentioned above, I've lowered myself to replacing the plastic weather seal, with a layer of 3M/Scotch wide tape. (because the seal itself has torn, or become loose/gummy like the outside. layer, letting the plastic strip loose.) The tape, surprisingly holds-up a lot better (despite being thinner, flimsy. Maybe 3M makes a better adhesive.) (this being said by a person who laughs at Post-It notes.)

the band, however, still is expanded.. and fits the case very loosely. At least it stays on because of the tab that fits in over the USB connector. The catch now, is getting it to stay stuck to the surface of the tape.

RTV silicone, I can see a small problem with this. getting it into the recesses of the buttons will make the buttons hard to press..

I had my blue Etrex Legend for years before the band came loose. A stay in a hot car finally did it.

I Googled, and found the Loctite RTV solution posted earlier in the thread. Worked perfectly, and I'm happy to report that the jerk who smashed my car window to grab that out-of-date, low monetary but high sentimental value unit now has a permanently fixed Etrex. I hope it leads him off a cliff.

When the band comes loose on the Etrex Legend HCX I got as a replacement, I'll fix it myself, rather than have Garmin do a temporary fix. Might try to hit them up for a new band, though.

I think the reason they use the stuff they do is that it makes it easy to open the units up to do repairs, but that's just a guess.

Garmin in Uk will NOT help me with a repair. We all know that this is a major problem with this unit. Shame on them!!!

Have updated to etrex 30, and repaired the old legend with Gorilla glue!!

They used to send full repair kits for free. Didn't get one for my Legend when I asked though. It has been repaired with Silane glue - this actually sticks to the rubber. Sold in many countries as Loctite Repair Extreme.

Take ecanderson's advice. Garmin wanted $90 a couple of years ago, so I went the RTV route as suggested. Worked just fine and no problems. In one of those threads it suggests putting the band in the freezer overnight to shrink it up a bit. That also worked for me--not back to original size, but close enough so there was minimal excess.

Edited by GrateBear