Saved GPX Files Upload help

Charbs

I'm not really sure where this should be posted, but here it is:

I'm using Garmin Basecamp on my Mac and want to upload all the finals I have as waypoints in that program to my iphone 4.

I have the geocaching app, and I'm a premium member. This should be simple, right?

Problem is, Basecamp exports waypoints as a .gpx version 1.1

Every time I try to do an upload to the "saved gpx files" on my profile, it comes back with "I'm sorry, there was an unexpected error" (talk about a useless error message!)

From what I can tell the geocaching website only supports gpx version 1.0 and 1.0.1 - is this correct? Is this my problem?

If so, how can I convert my gpx 1.1 down to a gpx 1.0 using a mac (and not paying money for a program!)?

I tried importing the gpx 1.1 into geojournal, because I know the export would work with the site, but geojournal doesn't import it.

I've tried GPSBabel, but don't at all understand it and can't find much on google to help.

I've also tried exporting as a .csv from basecamp and converting, but that's not going well for me either.

Why would Garmin use 1.1 when (from what I've found while researching) 1.0 seems to be the widely accepted standard, and why doesn't geocaching.com support 1.1 if that's all that Garmin supports?