Lackey Coins

PrashadFamily

Almost as soon as I discovered the beauty and excitement of Geocoins, I also heard that the pretty coins often times "disappear". For this reason, I've been trading my pretty/fancy coins for less desirable/plain/boring/shaped geocoins - in hopes that this will mean we can watch them travel for a longer time and a further distance. I don't know how much merit there is to this but I guess we'll see!

Currently, my collection also contains several lackey coins (2005 and 2007 & 2010). The 2010 one means something to me because I actually geocache now (not to mention - it was "given" to me!). The older coins, not so much.... BUT, that doesn't mean I want them to "disappear"!

When I was at the geocoinfest, someone made a comment to me that I shouldn't release it but that I should instead "sit on it". What are your thoughts on this? Is this particular coin popular enough that someone might be tempted to grab it from the cache and then not move it along - instead keeping it for their own collection? Or does it really not have any different of "odds" as the regular trackables?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Edited by PrashadFamily

Any coin that you release is in danger of going missing. If you don't want to lose it, don't release it. That's pretty much the rule. Of the travelers I have released in the past two years, 36 of the 122 have gone missing.

Yes, that has definitely been my approach and attitude from the start! It just seems like, from everything that I've heard and read, that these have an even higher than normal disappear rate.

Thanks for your input!

My belief is that how the coin looks and its value on the resale market will affect its chances of going missing. I bought about sixty coins on e-bay to release into the wild and all of them cost less than $5; many cost less than $3. I think that they are cool coins, but most people will find them plain. So far, none have obviously gone missing, and most of them have been moved in the past month.

I don't put coins that I know people would like into caches. However, I have 30 trackable Beijing Observatory coins to put in caches that I think are really cool, but I bought them for nearly nothing.

My belief is that how the coin looks and its value on the resale market will affect its chances of going missing. I bought about sixty coins on e-bay to release into the wild and all of them cost less than $5; many cost less than $3. I think that they are cool coins, but most people will find them plain. So far, none have obviously gone missing, and most of them have been moved in the past month.

I don't put coins that I know people would like into caches. However, I have 30 trackable Beijing Observatory coins to put in caches that I think are really cool, but I bought them for nearly nothing.

Thanks! This is pretty much my attitude, too. I just didn't quite know what category these lackey coins fit into because there is not much said about them! I think I have my answer though - trading seems win-win. I can get coins to release (which is what I, personally, prefer to do) and someone else can have a couple of nice looking coins in their collection! :D

Any coin that you release is in danger of going missing. If you don't want to lose it, don't release it. That's pretty much the rule. Of the travelers I have released in the past two years, 36 of the 122 have gone missing.

Yes, that has definitely been my approach and attitude from the start! It just seems like, from everything that I've heard and read, that these have an even higher than normal disappear rate.

Thanks for your input!

Every one of the micro daisies I released went missing. Same for the sunflower coins. Therefore, I will not be releasing anymore flower themed coins.

it is my sense that many people consider the lackey geocoins to be "rare" and/or "valuable"

(this, in fact, may be more or less true for various years and finishes, but the prevailing general impression usually reflects the more extreme cases)

as such, I think it is quite likely that one released would go missing sooner rather than later

if it/they were mine, I would hang on to it/them, activate it/them (if not already), and share it/them via "discovery" at events

Hmm... I was wondering about some things...

1) Can the Lackeys 2005 geocoin still be found?? I am missing this and the 2010...

2) If you have one.. it was given to you... but the owner is Signal... if you release it again, then... the coin can be retrieved and kept by the next cacher.... I suppose... right? So... if a cacher finds a lackey coin, he has to check first who is the owner.. some cachers have the ownership of such coins!

3) Is it ok from the signal that we can keep these coins?? I am asking about both travellers and coins that were gifted to us by a third person (an other cacher!) I do not think you can keep travellers but...

and finally...

4) since the majority of the lackeys 2005 and 2007 are activated under Signal's name... if we have a double we can ot trade it right???

but if we have for example the 2005 twice, and we want the 2007... and someone else has 2 of the 2007 and wants a 2005, and all coins are under signal's name... can you make the trade??

I know that this last one is a strange question but I am wondering about it...

Edited by GATOULIS

Hmm... I was wondering about some things...

1) Can the Lackeys 2005 geocoin still be found?? I am missing this and the 2010...

2) If you have one.. it was given to you... but the owner is Signal... if you release it again, then... the coin can be retrieved and kept by the next cacher.... I suppose... right? So... if a cacher finds a lackey coin, he has to check first who is the owner.. some cachers have the ownership of such coins!

3) Is it ok from the signal that we can keep these coins?? I am asking about both travellers and coins that were gifted to us by a third person (an other cacher!) I do not think you can keep travellers but...

and finally...

4) since the majority of the lackeys 2005 and 2007 are activated under Signal's name... if we have a double we can ot trade it right???

but if we have for example the 2005 twice, and we want the 2007... and someone else has 2 of the 2007 and wants a 2005, and all coins are under signal's name... can you make the trade??

I know that this last one is a strange question but I am wondering about it...

What I have gathered from the various people that have reached out to me is that the coins were never available for sale. They were only given to people by "lackeys".

Both of my coins are activated and owned by Signal but neither have been circulated at all. The 2005 can be adopted by me (or whoever) but the 2007 will always be owned by Signal. So, if I log it as mine and someone grabbed it out of a cache - they could never virtually "own" the coin.

As far as whether or not it is okay if we keep them, my understanding is that it is fine IF it was GIVEN to you. It is not okay to keep an activated coin that you have found in a cache.

I believe that the Lackey coins are okay to be traded (for other coins, lackeys or not). What is NOT acceptable is for the coins to be sold (either here on the forums or on ebay, etc). There seems to be some conflicting opinions on this matter but this is my understanding of Signal's "desires".

I believe that too.. that if a coin is a traveller... it is not to be taken... but what if a lackey droped it?

I have 2 Lackeys of 2007! I won one in a cointest and the other which was the first to get was an amazing gift with 2 different volunteer geocoins from an extremelly kind person and cacher of course!!! These volunteer coins and the lackey are priceless to me!!!

Now... I was asking about trading of Lackey coin... can you acually trade a coin that you are not the owner?? I mean... can I trade one of the 2007? I am just the keeper... not the owner! That is what I am mostly wondering... I do not find it quite right to do this... maybe to it, you have to ask the lackeys or Signal!

To trade a 2007 for a 2005 passed threw my mind.. I admit that, but I do not find it right... I do not know... maybe if the 2005 was Signal's too?

I do not know... :D

Both of my coins are activated and owned by Signal but neither have been circulated at all. The 2005 can be adopted by me (or whoever) but the 2007 will always be owned by Signal. So, if I log it as mine and someone grabbed it out of a cache - they could never virtually "own" the coin.

Weird. My coin (2010) is owned by me.

Yes.. I think the 2010 lackeys coin and the 2009 were different in that! ou could buy them so you were the owner!

As I have seen from photos, the 2010 one is completelly different from the others...

the 2007 was not! The owner with probably only a few, were owned by Signal the Frog!

I do not know about the 2005 version! :sad: