What's the strangest thing you've run across in the woods while GeoCaching?

Douce Us 5

Once in my own state, I was chased off by a large creature of some sort, and was overcome with the feeling of evil. and not only me, many others haved been chased off by this thing. Take a look at the logs in GC1R5MA - Real Strange Monster Advisory!!! You have to view the earliest logs for some of the freakiest stuff

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Once in my own state, I was chased off by a large creature of some sort, and was overcome with the feeling of evil. and not only me, many others haved been chased off by this thing. Take a look at the logs in GC1R5MA - Real Strange Monster Advisory!!! You have to view the earliest logs for some of the freakiest stuff

I especially liked the one log from the person that found it by accident.

I have a cache that is somewhat similar GC1GEK1... be sure to look at the photographic evidence of what might be lurking in the woods.

The other day I saw something about 6' off of the ground draped over a branch of a pine tree that caught my eye......it was a 5' long spine with parts of the ribs still attached. :) I'm assuming it was from a deer, but how and why would it be 6' off the ground in a tree???

My guess is that a mountain lion or bear probably took it up in the tree, or a scavenger of some sort; like a raccoon dragging the skeleton up a tree to pick morsels off of the bones.

Anyhoo...

The weirdest thing I found was several little shrines made out of rocks piled up that had bones and used condoms in them. Really creepy. It didn't help that it was on a lonely hill outside of town with the wind whistling through the trees in a really eerie way. Shiver.

Very interesting reading!!!

Some of the more recent logs also have interesting stuff in them too.

July 10 by Strider (6200 found)

Crowesfeat30 and I went with the L Franks for a daylong cache run to southern Illinois. We all ended up with about 40 caches and had a great time in the area.

We kept hearing banjo music as we drove towards the cache site, then as we turned to corner onto the last road we went over the first little ridge and the car sank into the mud up to the axles. %#$^*&!!! yelled all four of us! I tried to drive out, it didn't make things worse because we were about as stuck as we could get. We didn't have any phone service here so we decided we would get the cache before we went for help. We went down the hill to the cache and suddenly this horrendous smell drifted around us and we heard a very loud roar! After the smell went away and we didn't hear anything else, we finally got up enough courage to go back to the road. When we got up to the road my car wasn't where we had left it, it was back on the main road ready to go but with an evil looking face smeared on the hood with mud. We saw some strange large footprints in the mud but forgot to get pictures in our rush to get away. What are you doing placing a cache in such an area anyway? Sarah is gonna kick your butt if she ever see you.

Strider

Glendale, Mo.

St. Louis Area Geocachers Assoc.

Not too weird around here: but a Mary Jane grow operation ... scary parts were the trip wires for booby traps.

I had the same experience, the trip wires went to a tent that was covered with a camo tarp. They were only attached to cans though. I thought it was a growing operation or a meth lab, but could not find no evidence. I think it was just a homeless persons camp. I counted 14 trash bags full of empty beer cans. Inside the tent was a mat and blankets, and a Bible. Jerimiah Johnson?

Aside from the tires, refrigerators, and old cars way out in the middle of nowhere... Roughly a mile from the closest parking and quite a bit higher elevation, I found a milk crate. Someone had brought it to the top of a knob and placed it where the best view was.

Speaking of milk crates, This summer, I found this along a trail between a creek and a forest, along the way to our Dog Cache:

plastic-crate-pyramid.png

They were zip tied together. I went back 2 weeks later and the pyramid was gone. Wierd.

Edited by Lone R

A good bicycle tire on a good rim. There was nowhere for a bicycle to have been. I still have the tire and rim.

A crack pipe.

Another crack pipe.

A closed plastic bag with what appeared to be a dead dog inside. The smell was BAD. There was a puppy farm down the road............

About 20 burned and stripped cars -- almost all of them Mercedes. It was along a back road that we took by mistake. The nearest habitation had 3 HUGE dogs and looked like a place where we had to worry about banjo music and guys with guns. We left - quickly. I was glad the guy I was caching with had firearms in his truck.

Edited by Thrak

I was reading in the paper today that two men found a human skeleton in Hickory Creek, Texas. It was found in a wooded area where there are a few caches. The men were identified as hikers. Maybe they were cachers. The remains are of a man who has been missing from the area for 3 years. Amazing, that it hasn't been found sooner.

There is a Mountain near my hometown Deer Mtn in Ketchikan, Alaska. Along the trail to the top there was the wreckage of a plane crash. Not on the trail but close by. By the time I got around to climbing the mountain theres wasn't much left. But the larger pieces left were enough to say yep that was a plane.

There was an old model T full of bullet holes along a glacier trail near Juneau as well.

Sounds like this skeleton that I saw in a tree a few months ago while geocaching:

4ji3m.jpg

is it just me or does that look like a human hand on the left side of the picture?

And have you seen the two faces between the long bones????

Strange, utterly strange....

Insert creepy music here :(

Pierre

Could it be.... Jimmy Hoffa :sad:

I see one face, but not two:

85fea9de-8a55-40b7-b9e7-5e690f0c8374.jpg

I have also seen lots of rusted cars in heavily wooded areas and have always wondered how the heck they got out there.. I have also seen fridges, a rusted wagon, mailbox scarecrows, a bike hanging from a tree (pretty good condition), a wheel chair, a guy eating pizza and smoking weed, another creepy guy just sitting on a rock when we were leaving that same wooded area.. didnt say anything as we walked by.. All of the things I listed were in wooded areas.

Some of the stories above are pretty creepy/interesting ,Thanks for sharing

I have seen some strange things like satalite and antannas on the very top of mountains with no houses near by. But the best one I had was a log to one of my caches. I hide a cache in a recreation park and a log posted was that the cachers had to back up and leave because there was a couple there, Well uh having recreation. :o

Similar to a few of these replies, I found an old car that was the cache "Dead Bug" up in the mountains, off of Hwy 243 near Idyllwild, California.

Obviously a wreck, that spun off the road and landed backwards in the trunk of a tree. A circa 1940's automobile, but the weird part was the cache container. The logbook was inside what looked like a black plastic plumbing part, with tubes and a cap. Thought is was part of a toilet or trap for a sink...but who knows.

Also, came upon a really cute woman sunning herself and ended up striking up a conversation about what I was doing out in the middle of nowhere "geocaching." That was fun... :anibad:

Oh, I've found all sorts of strange things in the woods. But that was mostly dong trail maintenance. A baseball bat. One left sandal. A pair of boxer shorts. Bears.

Okay. I've led a sheltered life. I found a large plastic sphere. Alien space ship? I have no idea what this is! Turned out to be a beer ball. Never heard of those. Oh, well.