What's the strangest thing you've run across in the woods while GeoCaching?

Douce Us 5

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the woods in the middle nowhere and ran into a refrigerator or a stove or a rusted out old car, and wondered how & why did this end up here? :rolleyes:

The other day I saw something about 6' off of the ground draped over a branch of a pine tree that caught my eye......it was a 5' long spine with parts of the ribs still attached. :anitongue: I'm assuming it was from a deer, but how and why would it be 6' off the ground in a tree???

Lets hear your stories.........

on a cache hunt in middle of a wooded area i came across a small cave in my hope of finding some thing new a entered the small hole,to my horror after a short crawl was a car seat out of a 1967 ford cortian how and y would some one take the time to drag it in to the woods let alone in to a small cave?? but good came out of it as there was a single bat for me to enjoy

maybe the dear was hung up and quartered??? :rolleyes:

It's been at least 3-4 years since this 'find' and nothing has topped it since, so I mention it whenever this topic comes up.

The strangest object ever found out in the woods while looking for a cache was an extremely large, I mean really really big, as in big enough that we took a pic with a size 11 shoe next to it for reference, chocolate colored pleasure toy. But the really odd part was that it had been repaired at some point in its sordid history with traditional silver colored duct tape. :anitongue:

And we were only about 50' into the woods from a parking lot behind a busy neighborhood Italian restaurant.

I cannot post the pics here as this is supposed to be a family friendly forum. :rolleyes:

fire hydrant in the middle of the woods.... Seriously there's nothing around.imag0398k.jpg

Is that the cache? If not then I have definatly seen this before. In my area there is a small piece of woods about 500 feet long. In the middle of it they have a fire hydrant. There's no reason for it, there's no houses that could be burned down!

fire hydrant in the middle of the woods.... Seriously there's nothing around.imag0398k.jpg

Is that the cache? If not then I have definatly seen this before. In my area there is a small piece of woods about 500 feet long. In the middle of it they have a fire hydrant. There's no reason for it, there's no houses that could be burned down!

Its not the cache, its a working hydrant.

You guys don't have bush fires?? I think lots of interface areas extend watermains way beyond the end of the finished road allowances, hydrants with them... I'd like to see a few more that way around here... makes it a bit easier to put water on a wildfire. Sure beats long runs with a bucket :D

Doug 7rxc

Oh, geez. Lingerie hanging from trees on a few occasions. I don't know what's up with that. Junk cars in the woods on a few occasions. Or Junk cars in an 1850's era Lock of the abandoned 3rd Welland Canal (since replaced by the 4th Welland Canal). I assume they put bricks on the gas pedal and watch whilst drinking Molson Golden.

42e3ede1-425d-4de4-96b0-0b1bed3e7199.jpg

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Other than the gal who thought she was Linda Lovelace, the weirdest thing I have seen is a hammock strung between 2 trees. 30 feet in the air, no ladder.

Well, there's a whole "Ever stumble on backwoods loving?" thread over in "The Hunt - The Unusual" forum. I did stumble on some once, but it was like 1979, and I was a teenager. They didn't notice me. :D

A shopping cart about twenty feet up in a tree (appeared to have had the tree grow up around it

A 3' x 3' safe with its door ripped off

Then we were camping at Mount Rainier as a kid (geocaching did not exist back then), a man walked by me in a three piece suit, boler hat, walking stick and gray spats. He said hello as he passed me on a trail. My mom asked me if I had seen him too.

A shopping cart about twenty feet up in a tree (appeared to have had the tree grow up around it

A 3' x 3' safe with its door ripped off

Then we were camping at Mount Rainier as a kid (geocaching did not exist back then), a man walked by me in a three piece suit, boler hat, walking stick and gray spats. He said hello as he passed me on a trail. My mom asked me if I had seen him too.

The other day I saw something about 6' off of the ground draped over a branch of a pine tree that caught my eye......it was a 5' long spine with parts of the ribs still attached. :D I'm assuming it was from a deer, but how and why would it be 6' off the ground in a tree???

Sounds like this skeleton that I saw in a tree a few months ago while geocaching:

4ji3m.jpg

The other day I saw something about 6' off of the ground draped over a branch of a pine tree that caught my eye......it was a 5' long spine with parts of the ribs still attached. :D I'm assuming it was from a deer, but how and why would it be 6' off the ground in a tree???

Sounds like this skeleton that I saw in a tree a few months ago while geocaching:

4ji3m.jpg

Reindeer? Poor Rudolph! :anitongue:

Maybe Bigfoot dragged it up there?

Perhaps a Mountain Lion? But Mountain Lions don't do this. Leopards do.

Or, ...

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=2691

for me its not so much the "strang stuff" i find butinstead its the fact that i find anything in some of the places i go.

for example yesterday i wentmosr then a mile out into the woods looking for a new location for my cache. i was in a VERY over grown area that was not easy to walk through (i got the cuts and scratches to prove it today) at last i came to a sopt that i loved and i thought was pleasing to to be. sure enough i see beer cans/cig butts/bags. i mean i know bums live in woods but they sure as hell dont live in this part of the woods.

the only thing i can think of is these areas have not always been over grown and thats when this stuff got there

4ji3m.jpg

is it just me or does that look like a human hand on the left side of the picture?

And have you seen the two faces between the long bones????

Strange, utterly strange....

Insert creepy music here :sad:

Pierre

The other day I saw something about 6' off of the ground draped over a branch of a pine tree that caught my eye......it was a 5' long spine with parts of the ribs still attached. :sad: I'm assuming it was from a deer, but how and why would it be 6' off the ground in a tree???

I bet you were caching in a dog park again. I have been to a few and it is common to see bones in the trees to keep them out of reach of the canines.

4ji3m.jpg

is it just me or does that look like a human hand on the left side of the picture?

And have you seen the two faces between the long bones????

Strange, utterly strange....

Insert creepy music here :(

Pierre

Could it be.... Jimmy Hoffa :sad:

A looong way from the nearest road, in the middle of a redwood grove, I found a cache that happened to be made from an actual parking meter. That sucker had been hauled by one person the entire way and was HEAVY! The CO was a good friend and thou I was surprised when I found it I wasn't that surprised by who did it.

4ji3m.jpg

That's what I was thinking too.

Does anyone know what a human skeleton looks like?

I can't think of what kind of animal would have that hand besides us.

4ji3m.jpg

That's what I was thinking too.

Does anyone know what a human skeleton looks like?

I can't think of what kind of animal would have that hand besides us.

Someone already said it, but how about a bear?

w43_21709745.jpg