New Pocket Query option sought

Someone had made a thread a few days ago asking what your favorite statistic is so far in Geocaching. I wanted to reply but thought that it wasn't REALLY a stat that I wanted to list. The thing I'm probably most proud of and find a LOT of satisfaction with is having found a night cache that hadn't been found in over a year and another cache that hadn't been found in over TWO years! Those are the MOST fun for me and several of my caching friends. Does anyone else like to go for these "lonely" geocaches? Are there enough of us to add this option to pocket queries? Huh? HUH??? :rolleyes:

Not true. Simple to use and has a free trial period.

The basic functions are fairly simple, but the interface can appear daunting to someone who doesn't have good computer skills. Once you get into the advanced functions it is anything but simple, unless of course you are good at that stuff.

What the OP wants to do is very simple. If you can operate a mouse you can figure it out.

Edited by briansnat

Not true. Simple to use and has a free trial period.

The basic functions are fairly simple, but the interface can appear daunting to someone who doesn't have good computer skills. Once you get into the advanced functions it is anything but simple, unless of course you are good at that stuff.

Some of the advanced functions make it harder than it can be for people who are "good at that stuff."

Personally, I'd like the ability to write my own queries against the data instead of having to do it via the filter options, as that would be much easier for me. The possibilities that would open up would be incredible.

Edited by dakboy
Personally, I'd like the ability to write my own queries against the data instead of having to do it via the filter options, as that would be much easier for me. The possibilities that would open up would be incredible.

I agree with this. The main thing I don't like about the current filtering capability is that there is no way to do 'OR' type filtering (e.g. if wanted to see all caches that either have corrected coordinates OR have the user flag set then I cannot do this with the built-in filtering). There are some kinds of filtering like polygons and log filtering which would be hard to do without the built-in capabilities though. That said, they did add the MFILTER command to the macro language in the latest release that allows you to specify a SQL WHERE clause to filter exactly as you want (provided you understand the database tables and the SQL language). I also use the SQLiteSpy program sometimes to run my own queries against the database.

I agree with this. The main thing I don't like about the current filtering capability is that there is no way to do 'OR' type filtering (e.g. if wanted to see all caches that either have corrected coordinates OR have the user flag set then I cannot do this with the built-in filtering). There are some kinds of filtering like polygons and log filtering which would be hard to do without the built-in capabilities though. That said, they did add the MFILTER command to the macro language in the latest release that allows you to specify a SQL WHERE clause to filter exactly as you want (provided you understand the database tables and the SQL language). I also use the SQLiteSpy program sometimes to run my own queries against the database.

Looks like someone was listening! New update for GSAK 7.3.3: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry118755

5. Added new "Where" tab to the filter dialog

5 - The new where tab on the filter dialog allows you to directly set a Sqlite "where" filter. The syntax is the same as the macro Mfilter Where= and that used in your Mfilter box at the top of your screen. However, the main benefit of using the where tab is that you can now have "named" filters that you can use in the macro language (via the FILTER command) or just recall by using the GUI. As with all filter tabs, the new Where tab is "anded" with your other filter selections.

Edited by dakboy