GPSMAP 62s GPX File priorities

bcblues

I have exceeded the limits of my 62s's 5000 cache limit. Does anybody have any idea of how the 62s parses this data and decides which ones to load into memory? I am willing to (but not excited about) using multiple Micro SD cards to "manage" geocaches. But a smartphone solution is looking better and better.....

The solution to that is, of course, to find enough unfound caches so that the total drops below 5000 :rolleyes:

It's always been a bit of a mystery what the firmware engineers of Garmin programmed the units to do. The logical thing to do is to read them in sequentially, and stop after 5000. I have no idea if the Garmin engineers are logical. But you could experiment by creating a simple GPX of (say) 5500 entries, named 0001 through 5550. Try to search for them by name and see if the last few exists.

I use GSAK to determine what caches to load into my Oregon 300 (2000 geocaches). The entire set of geocaches is loaded as POI into my Nuvi. They can be loaded as POI on the Oregon as well - perhaps you can try that.

Edited by Chrysalides

I use GSAK to determine what caches to load into my Oregon 300 (2000 geocaches). The entire set of geocaches is loaded as POI into my Nuvi. They can be loaded as POI on the Oregon as well - perhaps you can try that.

Same here. I have a Colorado 300 (2000 geocaches) and use GSAK just as Chrysalides does. I load my entire collection of PQs (5000 geocaches in my case) as POIs using the GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk macro. This gives the entire cache info. I then keep track of my POI-type finds using the POIs by "saving as waypoint".

I would prefer to work with gpx if possible. I like being able to "paperless cache". I guess loading micro sd cards with geographic regions is the way to go - of course keeping no gpx files on the internal memory. Too bad. I just cn't figure out why there has to be a limit with gpx when there is not with poi.