Artwork for a coin...

Zwack_&_Irish_Eyes

Greetings,

My wife decided to try her hand at designing a geocoin (no intention of making a profit, she just loves geocoins and wanted to try her hand at one...)

It's the "Ceilidh Coin" named after one of our Scarlet Macaws.

So, given that we don't entirely know what we are doing, and having got the initial artwork completed we thought that we would ask if anyone has any constructive advice...

The front...

ceilidhcoin3c.jpg

The back...

ceilidhcoinback3c.jpg

She would like to put the tracking information on the rim.

So, does anyone have any useful comments?

Thanks,

Zwack

Nice! :anitongue: I'm assuming the the background is half raised metal under translucent? You will lose some detail in the background but not so much it will matter, Also, I recommend Imitation Hard Enamels (AKA: IHE) over soft enamels.

CF30

Yes, the idea was to use half raised metal under translucent green to get the background. I'm not sure that detail on the background is so important, as long as it continues to suggest tropical rainforest, then we're good. :rolleyes:

What is the difference between IHE and soft enamel and are they both available in translucent?

My understanding is that with soft, the metal is plated, the enamel is dropped in and sets, while IHE is enameled, then the coin is "stoned" and then plated. Is that right?

Z.

some more questions...

Would translucent colours be better for the two tone areas of the bird (the feather areas) or opaque colours?

My wife was thinking that opaque would be more vibrant (although it would require outlines) except for the facial patches and the beak which could use translucent enamel with different metal depths.

Would people like a hole or a hanger as part of the coin, or prefer it to just be a flat disk?

Thanks again,

Z.

Personally I would probably go with solid colors on the bird and translucent for the background. BUT I would order samples with both options. :rolleyes: Just in case.

Edit to add: If you are employing the half-raised technique on the feathers, translucents are a must

CF30

P.S. Don't be afraid to order a sample employing black nickel as the metal finish. You might be pleasently surprised. :anitongue:

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Personally I would probably go with solid colors on the bird and translucent for the background. BUT I would order samples with both options. :rolleyes: Just in case.

Edit to add: If you are employing the half-raised technique on the feathers, translucents are a must

CF30

P.S. Don't be afraid to order a sample employing black nickel as the metal finish. You might be pleasently surprised. :anitongue:

I really appreciate the advice. We'll do that (order different samples). I didn't even know you could. This is my first time, after all :-).

Irish

CF30

I really appreciate the advice. We'll do that (order different samples). I didn't even know you could. This is my first time, after all :-).

Irish

Usually up to 6 sample coins may be ordered at no additional cost to you. Depends upon who you're working with and they should tell you how many you may order. Try different metals, and different enamels since you might really like one over another.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

I think it's beautiful!

The bird on the front has an almost "cheeky" expression. :rolleyes:

MrsB

Yeah, "cheeky" is definitely one word to describe Ceilidh :-). Conniving, ornery, and too smart for our own good, also describe him pretty well. He's also extremely loving--to me :-). Everyone else gets the beak. In other words, he's got the stereotypical Scarlet personality. I love this crazy bird!

Edited by Zwack_&_Irish_Eyes

What a lovely design!!!!! so colorful and pretty!!!! I love parrots!!! Especially the colorful Ara!

As pets, I have 2 small parots.. actually they are Budgies! :rolleyes:

the first side of the coin shows the inteligence of the bird! it shows a bird that is studing us, it is a little shy but also wants to learn...

the other side... shows Freedom! Lovely.. lovely design!!!

Well done Adam!!! and say bravo to your wife too my friend! :anitongue:

What a lovely design!!!!! so colorful and pretty!!!! I love parrots!!! Especially the colorful Ara!

As pets, I have 2 small parots.. actually they are Budgies! :rolleyes:

the first side of the coin shows the inteligence of the bird! it shows a bird that is studing us, it is a little shy but also wants to learn...

the other side... shows Freedom! Lovely.. lovely design!!!

Well done Adam!!! and say bravo to your wife too my friend! :anitongue:

Thanks Gatoulis... My wife did all of the design work, I merely gave her advice on how to get the software to do what she wanted. I'm not sure how useful that advice was. But she managed to design the coin anyway.

We do share a house with some macaws, so she didn't need to go far to get artistic inspiration.

Thanks once again,

Z.

Greetings,

My wife decided to try her hand at designing a geocoin (no intention of making a profit, she just loves geocoins and wanted to try her hand at one...)

It's the "Ceilidh Coin" named after one of our Scarlet Macaws.

So, given that we don't entirely know what we are doing, and having got the initial artwork completed we thought that we would ask if anyone has any constructive advice...

The front...

ceilidhcoin3c.jpg

The back...

ceilidhcoinback3c.jpg

She would like to put the tracking information on the rim.

So, does anyone have any useful comments?

Thanks,

Zwack

I agree with most of what's been said with solid colors for the avian and translucents with half raised metals for the textured background. I love that you've broken the border on both sides with the feathers, but you might want to go just a tad wider in this area because the raised metal that will contain the enamel in this area will have a minimal width slightly thicker than what you're showing which will mean a much thinner fill area and you'll lose a bit of what you're accomplishing with breaking the overlap.

The other thing you'll want to do is remove any and all dual colors in an area like the top of the head, inside the beak, dual colored feathers, etc. While you can get dual tone with translucents you won't see it in solid colors. Once you do that several things will probably happen. The head might not look the right mass, the beak might feel wide, etc., but it will give you the chance to compensate if needed. Otherwise, just add those lines of metal to separate the areas where the color tone changes.

The raised text on the back with filled enamel is probably too small to fill the way you're showing it horizontally, but if you stack it vertically and enlarge it at least half again it's current size you should get great results.

The number one thing I would advise to watch out for is underestimating just how thick the raised metal is on a coin. The easiest way to compare if you're being realistic with your goal is to just use a flatbed scanner to scan a geocoin with good detail of your target size and add it to the picture right next to your new artwork. By looking back and forth you can get a pretty idea quickly what the metal thickness and minimum fill area sizes will need to be and you'll have a chance to make the adjustments yourself instead of just being at the mercy of the mint artists and all the changes they'll try to make otherwise.

With that being said, Iove, love, LOVE the contrast and color play on this one and look forward to seing how it turns out! Great work :D

Edited by fox-and-the-hound