Ideas for new bugs- opinions on them?

Squirrel Nut & Beersnob

I was thinking of starting a couple of bugs. the first one would be 'Squeaky Clean', attached to a bar-of-soap sized linen drawstring bag, and a rubber duckie. It's goal would be to travel to each state, with each 'finder' taking the bar of soap it has on it, and place a new bar of soap in the bag. The soap should be something out-of the ordinary- herbal, homemade, those soaps that have little 'scenes' in them, or imbeded objects... anything out-of the ordinary and in good taste.

I was also thinking of a 'gardening bug'.. along the same lines, it would have a bag to place a packet of seeds in, to exchange seeds as it moves... it's goal would be to see (and be photoed) in all types of gardens across the us.

Do you think this type of travelbug turned themed cache is a good idea? I've been looking at photos of travel bugs and thought the travelling cache bug idea would be interesting to try.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Soaps and other fragrances attract animals. Also, soap could make a big mess inside a cache if it got wet. And seeds would sprout if they got wet. I like the idea of themed TB's like that, but you might consider something that can handle the conditions inside a poorly-constructed or poorly-maintained cache.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

... I wonder if condensation would form on the inside of those?

Probably not, since they are water-tight and the internal volume is so small. But just to be sure, you could throw in a small bag of dessicant beads. Of course then someone might mistake them for seeds and plant them in their garden... icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

Probably not, since they are water-tight and the internal volume is so small. But just to be sure, you could throw in a small bag of dessicant beads. Of course then someone might mistake them for seeds and plant them in their garden... icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soap wouldn't work in with the weather conditions we've been having in Florida - we'd be foaming at the beaches! HOWEVER, just picked up some seeds from a FL cache that have traveled from Wisconsin . They were in a very small (2" X3") zip lock baggie, the kind you pick up at the flea markets 25 for $1. You shouldn't have any condensation in these and could insert a little pic, instructions, maybe growing zones. It would also take up a lot less room in a cache. I love the idea! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Soap wouldn't work in with the weather conditions we've been having in Florida - we'd be foaming at the beaches! HOWEVER, just picked up some seeds from a FL cache that have traveled from Wisconsin . They were in a very small (2" X3") zip lock baggie, the kind you pick up at the flea markets 25 for $1. You shouldn't have any condensation in these and could insert a little pic, instructions, maybe growing zones. It would also take up a lot less room in a cache. I love the idea! icon_biggrin.gif

... be sure that any seeds you plant aren't something your local extension office considers an invasive weed.

It'd be just like some cacher with a twisted sense of humor to drop some kudzu seeds in a cache! We don't want the green equivalent of the zebra mussel taking off! icon_biggrin.gif

... be sure that any seeds you plant aren't something your local extension office considers an invasive weed.

It'd be just like some cacher with a twisted sense of humor to drop some kudzu seeds in a cache! We don't want the green equivalent of the zebra mussel taking off! icon_biggrin.gif