My favorite statistic

I put some weight into percentage of non-traditional finds.

I am currently a little over 30%, but figure this will reduce over time as there are no new virtuals or locationless, and the percentage of newly placed multis, puzzles, etc, seems to be dropping too.

I will often use this statistic as an informal indication of how well rounded a cacher is, especially those who protest they are not about the numbers, yet seem to only find traditionals.

I put some weight into percentage of non-traditional finds.

I'm trying to do this as well. I'd rather have a day where I find a handful of puzzles & multis than 2 dozen cache & dashes. This past weekend I only found 3 caches, but it was 2 multis & a rather frustrating puzzle/multi (that one took me nearly an hour, plus the time at home getting the coords).

I'm also working on filling out my "days of the year" grid. I suppose that one is more about the numbers but it also drives me to just get out & get caching, period.

I am currently a little over 30%, but figure this will reduce over time as there are no new virtuals or locationless, and the percentage of newly placed multis, puzzles, etc, seems to be dropping too.
Come on down to Rochester, we have some puzzle maniacs down here.

Slightly more on-topic: I checked last night and of the 18,000-plus caches in my database that fall into the "findable" filter (defined as: puzzles I have solved coords for, all caches that are not disabled and I have no yet found; I've got just about everything in NY in my database, as well as some in Ontario and western VT & MA), roughly two thirds of them are Smalls or Micros. If I only exclude Micros, the number available climbs to about 12,000 or so.

I like the miles between finds. I have 445,000. It's probably more than that now but the It's Not About the Numbers site shut down. I sent an e-mail to My Caching Stats and they said they will be doing it on their site sometime in the future.

Both GCStatistic & GSAK's FindStatGen macro will calculate that for you.

Average words per log, which INATN used to do. I'm not as verbose as some, but that was one number I was proud of.

I like that one too. mygeocachingprofile.com tracks it.

I'd like that one, but can't seem to find the checkbox on mygeocachingprofile.com. Know where to find it to add it?

Thanks

You know what, interesting. I can't find it in the profile itself, but you can find your number on this sorted list:

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/cacherr...gs.aspx?sort=10

I'll email the folks who run the site and see if they can add it to the profile.

Well, that's kind of eerie. With 11,000+ people represented, you and I are within two places of each other.

Ha. Cool. I like writing long logs when the mood grabs me.

I heard back from the mygeocachingprofile folks - they're adding this to the list for a future roll-out.

It's too bad the system doesn't do a word count for DNFs. I'm fairly certain I write a lot more for those.

...especially those who protest they are not about the numbers, yet seem to only find traditionals.

Maybe those cachers just like traditionals. I am definitely not all about the numbers (380 finds after 1.5 years), but most are still traditionals. My well roundedness is derived from my D/T matrix. I think the D/T matrix is my second favorite statistic (my earlier post said my favorite is the "No Contest" stat)

Edited by Andronicus

I really hope that my 13 hour flight has in-flight internet. The last time I flew I used it and connected to a flight stats site that showed real time tracking (on a google maps layer) of any active flight. I was able to look out the window and see a feature on the ground then identify it on the flight tracking map.

My last flight was on Southwest. I was flipping through the airline magazine before we took off, and noticed that GPS's were included on the list of electronics they allow passengers to use in flight. So after we took off, I held my Garmin near the window and was able to do the same.

Edited by GeoGeeBee
Total cache-to-cache distance: 105796 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

4.25x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.443x Distance to the Moon

I'm sure that there are many with a higher number but it seems pretty high for just over 1000 finds. It should increase significantly when I go to China in less than a week.

What's your favorite stat?

I like this one too. I am at

Total cache-to-cache distance: 52567 Miles, Note: includes locationless caches.

2.11x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.220x Distance to the Moon

This is based on 154 finds, so my miles/find ratio = 341 miles/find

I really hope that my 13 hour flight has in-flight internet. The last time I flew I used it and connected to a flight stats site that showed real time tracking (on a google maps layer) of any active flight. I was able to look out the window and see a feature on the ground then identify it on the flight tracking map.

My last flight was on Southwest. I was flipping through the airline magazine before we took off, and noticed that GPS's were included on the list of electronics they allow passengers to use in flight. So after we took off, I held my Garmin near the window and was able to do the same.

I've always wondered.....

What was the speed you were going?

I used mine one time eastbound from Seattle to Philadelphia on a nonstop that got in 45 minutes early. My Oregon 200 showed us at 625 mph. The Mrs. was fascinated watching the maps fly by on the display.

We used it again westbound 'against' the jet stream and it was way slower.

Headed South from RDU to TPA, we were cruising just a little short of 500 MPH -- around 485, if I recall correctly. On the return trip we left a little behind schedule and the pilot announced that he thought we could "make up some time" and arrive nearly on-schedule. We were around 650 MPH on that one.

Favorite stat? Finds vs Forum Posts. :D

flask has logged a bunch of my caches and I didn't find her to be exceedingly verbose.
Hmm. Well, checking a few, I see it's highly variable. She does post long stories though. Maybe she doesn't like you. But then she's never found one of my caches at all.

Edward

The bolded part is what I was thinking. I went caching with flask for a day. We stopped off at a PnG that she had already been to. Her "Note" (59 words) was longer than my "Found It" Log (14 words), and we both agreed that we didn't really care for the cache.
icon_smile.gifOctober 30, 2008 by Too Tall John

Yep, I'd be grumpy, too, if my home smelled like the cache location!

Phew!

icon_note.gifOctober 30, 2008 by flask

i was gonna say the thing TTJ said, and it probably doesn't need to be said twice.

but we were on our way from here adn even though it wasn't really on TTJ's radar, i had been here before and zipped right across traffic to bring him by.

he made short work of it, and then we went here.

(Part of the pleasure I find in reading flask's logs is the links that continue the story, so I've included them.)

So, if she's leaving 59 word notes on caches she didn't like the first time she was there. . . :D

This prompted me to read more of our logs from that day. My favorite flask quotes have to have come from 3 caches in our string of 4 DNFs:

TTJ and i came from over here and we looked for a while in the great suckhole of doom and then i kind of left him to look for it while i took pictures of pretty red berries, and then i said i was ready to declare aiken, so we went here.
Declairing Aiken for those who are curious, is following Sen. George Aiken's alledged advice on the Vietnam War: "The best policy is to declare victory and leave." I use it sometimes now, even though it isn't actually what he said. I also found her description of the cache location of the cache location as "the great suckhole of doom" very appropriate, you could have lost a shoe in that goo down there. . .
my, isn't this convenient! we get two handy DNFs out of one centrally located parking place.

then to add insult to injury, we went here.

we didn't find it.

you could hide a five gallon bucket out there and we wouldn't find it.

you could hide crashco out there and we wouldn't find him.

So, I guess my real answer to the OP's question is a hard to track stat: Time spent caching with others. :D

Alas, my flight did not have inflight internet access (I'm going to have to stop using that carrier for long flights) but It had real time flight tracking information on the screen on the back of the seat in front of me. We were mostly going between 550mph and reached 600mph on a few occasions. We did take the over the north pole route but I never pulled out my handheld GPS. Mongolia looked even more desolate than the nevada desert. Perhaps someone should put a power trail out there. :D

My favorite flask quotes
I suppose part of why I think flask writes such long logs, even if they don't average as long as I assume, is that they are always so interesting. I agree, I love "suckhole of doom". Possibly I write longer logs on average, but I don't come close to flask's turns of phrase.

Edward